Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the Pistons aren't doing well either. I may have to dig deeper for better socks.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pistons game is over.

Jcole

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I turned to Doctor Who. I guess I'm not loyal enough to the Pistons, but I do love me some Doctor Who.

Zitro

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well JC you can put your socks away and the people of Almont can breathe easy

Jcole

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's still hope. If not the Pistons, maybe the Wings.

Zitro

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, the Wings played good last night.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC & Z: OK, I give up. Iowa is nice. Actually I have only been there once... A conference at the U of Iowa in Iowa City many, many years ago. Didn't really see enough to form any realistic impressions.

JC: Who is your favorite Doctor's companion? Rose was cute, but Martha was HOT!! I understand Martha is going to be in a few episodes later this season. Have you seen Torchwood on BBC America? Captain Jack is in it, and Martha was a few episodes this season too. The just season ended last week so you'll have to wait until next season if you want to see it.

Jcole

Post Number: 357
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, I recorded every episode of Doctor Who all three seasons, and just started to record season 4 last night. I missed the first epi. on SciFi last week. It was the one with Keilly Minogue.
Martha was the smarter of the two, but there was great chemistry between Rose and Doctors One and Two.
You might watch Torchwood for Martha, but Jack is smokin'.

Zitro

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I didn't know what you were referring to (Doctor Who) then I ran across it on the guide last night. You guys have pique my interest. I may have to catch a few episodes now.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Last week's episode was good, a takeoff on the Titanic. I thought she was going to become the Doctor's new companion, but then she ended up being turned into pixie dust (star dust actually) at the end of the episode. Donna is a little off the wall, so I'll have to watch a few more shows before I form an opinion of her.

Z: Doctor Who a little campy, a little corny, a little funny, and great watching. If you don't like it at first, watch a couple episodes. It's an acquired taste.

Jcole

Post Number: 358
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, Keilly Minogue and the current Doctor, David Tennant, were an item for a while. I'm not sure if they met on this epi or if that's why she got the part.
Donna was in one previous epi at the end of Season Two. She was the Bride.

Z, Doctor Who has been on in one incarnation or another since 1963. The current Doctor is the tenth Doctor. I remember it from when we were in high school, but I only watched it a few times. If I remember correctly, that was when i was dating Barry Maurer from ND, and he and his friend Don Darbro were into that and the Ghoul.
But now I am hooked. I usually catch it on BBC America, but the just finished season three, and have to wait for SciFi to finish with season four.
Season Three restarts on BBCA tonight.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I remembered Donna as the bride. One episode between Rose and Martha... What significance do you read into Rose showing up at the end of last night's episode? I have three possible theories...

1) Rose somehow escaped from the alternate reality and is back in the Doctor's reality again. (I know this is possible because I've experienced some alternate realities on these boards and come back.)
2) The way they are always crossing timelines, Rose and another version of the Doctor were also in London at the same time as this episode.
3) It's a twin, copy or clone of Rose.

The real answer is probably theory four which I haven't thought of yet. Any ideas?

Jcole

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whichever it was, she didn't look happy, so I'm wondering if it's some sort of evil clone sent by someone to trick the Doctor into doing something. Or the Daleks figured out a way to come over from the alternate reality, which means she could have crossed with them and she was just pissed that he replaced her. She seems to be the only one he actually loved. Although, looking at Donna, I wouldn't worry if I were her.
As you mentioned, Martha shows up in a couple episodes this season, so I wonder if there is going to be a convention of the Doctor's 'companions'. there was that one that showed up last season with the tin dog that made friends with Rose and told her to look out for herself.
Many possibilities.

Zitro

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess there's no need to catch up now. I should be able to pick up from here. Thanks

Jcole

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z,
Quick synopsis:
The Doctor is a Time Lord who travels through time in a blue police telephone box, fixing extraterrestrial or supernatural problems without the human race becoming aware, or if they do, making them forget. He always has a companion, usually a rather good looking young human woman who travels with him. He can't die, as he has the ability to regenerate himself. The blue police box is his life force. This ability explains away the changes in actors quite conveniently. The companions usually last one to two seasons. There is no sex, just the suggestion of attraction. He is the last of his species, which appears human, but isn't, so he is doomed to be alone.
If this makes sense to you, you spent far too much time at those head shops we discussed earlier.

Zitro

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't argue that

Jcole

Post Number: 362
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a fun watch without too much thought to expend. It is very campy, with low budget special effects. I think this is intentional, because it adds to the charm

Zitro

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan on catching it. I can't say I will dive into it as much as you and OD but I'm willing to give it a looksy and you never know.

Zitro

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can't conflict with the Tigers of course

Jcole

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear heavens, NO. If you aren't watching the Tigs, how will they ever win??

Zitro

Post Number: 228
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOW you're starting to understand how the universe works.

Jcole

Post Number: 364
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a true believer in the power of positive thought, and I positively think you love the Tigers. :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya think? I'm going to KC in couple of weeks to see them play. Nice seats right behind home plate, our company has season tickets there. It'sd nice venue for a game

Jcole

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a place I've always wanted to go. Have some barbecue at Arthur Bryant's for me.
And wear your lucky socks...

Zitro

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know it.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Wings win 5-1. Tigers ahead 3-0 in sixth. Boy those socks must stink. Need to rub a little of it on the Pistons.... Maybe it's Bazarro Rose.... The one with the tin dog was Sarah Jane Smith in "School Reunion" episode in the second season. The Sarah Jane Adventures, a Doctor Who spinoff is on sci-fi just before Doctor Who. It's more oriented towards kids, but I'll probably succumb to watching it too. According to the Sci-Fi webpage for the show Sarah Jane was companion to the 3rd and 4th incarnations of The Doctor.

Zitro

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TIGS WIN,

Jcole

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo Hoo!!

Zitro

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always so much easier watching Sports Center when our teams win. They seem to love to rub it our face when they lose. It seems that way anyway. Thanks Pistons!

Jcole

Post Number: 368
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That has always been the way. It's almost as if they want Detroit to stay in the basement so they have someone to pick on.