Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through April 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6334
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to the "Connect" page and punch up "FOR JJABA".

Turn your speakers up as loud as you can without bothering your neighbors across the trailer park.

Imagine growing up Yiddish. And you thought you had problems. Oy veyesmere, enjoy.

jjaba.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Oy vey to you too......neighbors loved it.... Eta Somekh, Dan Maydan and David Gross all came out of their Los Altos Hills 4 million dollar homes .... and then they shook their heads and softly said....'jjaba ...that poor soul." Welcome Home Brother...

EWE

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hava Nageela...Hava Nageela...Hava Nageela (phoentic spelling)...I can see Jjaba doing a circle dance right now...I tell ya...he was the talk of the town at the Kzoo temple in the early 60's! The question is...does he still hold kosher?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Google has pics of J after his conversion to some sect that has been in the news recently in Texas.... Something about wives.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I dunno...I never knew Jjaba to be greedy...or crazy. I figure those guys in Texas...and Arizona...and Utah...and, and, and...are beyond crazy...ONE wife is enough to drive me nuts on some days...fortunately I'm the calm one in this household.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6342
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody belts out a song in Yiddish like Mandy Patankin. Hope you enjoyed it.

Was jjaba in Texas for some sect or sex?

One wife is just fine with jjaba. Those Texas chicks don't do much for him. Now, Eastside girls, that's another story.

jjaba keeps Kosher in every way.

jjaba, near Lubbock at the truck stop.

Goblue

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: I noticed the thread re: The Purple Gang. Weren't you a numbers runner for the Purple's when you were in high school...in fact, didn't you become a printer in order to produce their "lottery" tickets?

True...Eastside girls were top of the line...howsomeever, Eastside Catholic girls topped all!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: It is time to confess... Confessional being a strong Eastside thing ... about your desire for women who lived east of woodward, east campus at wmu and bars on East Warren.....

ES61 Proudly, Denby Driver Training Grad

Jjaba

Post Number: 6344
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this is true. jjaba was an unloader at the docks when the Purple Gang cutters came acorss from Windsor. He was also a kid lookout over on 12th and Collingwood.

jjaba, Westside Memories.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Get is straight J..... 12th and Clairmont is where it all happened in July 67....

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5336
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving by Denby today and was amazed at just how huge the school is. Wonder how many kids go there today?

Goblue

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat: Dunno about today...but...in the late 50's and early 60's it was just under 5,000 students...freshman and sophomores attended classes from about 1:00-5:00...juniors and seniors from about 8:00-noon...it was a real factory...but one helluva good time.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P and GB: less that 1400 are enrolled in that gigantic building....
It is now called Denby Tech-Prep. When I started Denby in Jan 57 I didn't start class until 1:30 and we went to 4:30.... there were even portables in the back by the baseball field. I had algebra in one of the portables....we looked forward to Fridays because we would get out at 3PM to be able to go to the football games.....

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first semester at Denby I got stuck with a locker by the north front door. As luck would have it I had three successive classes at the other end of the building, one in the portable. With only ten minutes between classes, no way could I get back to my locker. So I had to lug a half ton of books around for most of the day. This was long before students used backpacks, and it just about broke my arm carrying all those books. About the only thing that locker was good for was someplace to store my jacket for the day. My first class was on the 4th floor. For the first couple weeks I was about dead after lugging all those books up all those steps. But I guess it got me in shape.

I thought I wanted a career in photography, so naturally I signed up for photography classes. No problem the first year. But sophomore year advanced photography was only offered 2nd hour. My counselor was Mr. Shires. I think his idea of counseling was tell you what classes you had to take, let you pick an elective or two, and then “See you next semester.” He accommodated my desire for advanced photography with a schedule lasting from second through ninth hour with two study halls and a lunch hour thrown in. Too bad he didn’t counsel me out of photography, because when I moved to California my schools out there didn’t offer photography classes, and there went my career. I guess my desire to be a photographer only mattered if I got academic credit for it.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6348
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is correct. With 2 million in Detroit in the 1950s, the schools were stuffed. Cass Tech. also had 5,000 students. The elevators were very busy.

When jjaba visited 2 yrs. ago, they had one operating elevator and the place looked abandoned. In the Printing Dept. as an example, the 1920s equipment was still there, with a few 1960s upgrades.

jjaba, CT Grad, 1959.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few memories spurred by some of the old posts…

Northeast Detroiter – best thing about that little paper was it occasionally had coupons for free White Castles

K’s – long before we were TARS the Mapleridge gang used to bike over there every week as soon as we got our measly allowances to blow them (there and Alanosi’s on Hayes between Spring Garden and Seymour). We didn’t know it’s name in those days, called it the Hobby Shop.

Aplhas - seems like the only time it was open was when Denby was open.

Mackinac Island or Mackinaw Island – It’s spelled ‘Mackinac’ but pronounced ‘Mackinaw’. Not to be confused with Mackinaw city which IS spelled ‘Mackinaw’. Was up there a couple summers ago. The slips where the ferries to the UP docked before Big Mac was built are still there (and crumbling).

De La Salle HS – Skippy Gillen who lived next door to Dennis Elvidge went there.

Drag Racing – 8 mile by Eastland Mall. Almost no traffic after the mall closed for the night.

Cass Tech grads – Don’t forget Kwame and Christine Beatty

Jjaba

Post Number: 6352
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Olddetroiter, welcome to The Forum.
Don't get jjaba started about who graduated from Cass Tech. You can Google the list with your tongue hanging out. Who Denby got?

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who’s Denby got? We don’t got Kwame and Christine, but we got GoBlue who was defying authority way back in our BSA 706 days. Blue could probably teach Kwame a few things about being more discrete in his affairs.

Now you have to cut me some slack so I can catch up with the forum. Many of you have been working it since September. I just got here.

There was a mom-and-pop store at Spring Garden and Queen that was rumored to have baseball cards you couldn’t get anywhere else. One summer Billy Champine, who lived near, and I would go there every week to check the new deliveries. Queen was often littered with unwanted bubble gum but we never did come across any rare cards.

Summer of 1952 I had every baseball card except Roy McMillan. Nowhere could I find that card. George Provo knew a guy who had an extra one. I ended up trading about fifty cards to get the Roy McMillan. Poor negotiating skills, but I was still happy. A few years later I threw them all out. If I had known GoBlue was still into that kid stuff I would have given them to him. Better yet, I should have kept them and been rich now.

I never was a very good collector. My only ‘collection’ is every Mad magazine from 1957 to the late ‘70s. But they’ve been stuffed in boxes in the basement for decades. Probably smell like rat poop by now. Wonder what they would be worth if I had taken care of them.

Ps: Thanks for the welcome jjaba.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Way to stick up for the god father GB.....any kid who grew up on Fordam and Celestine and become an educator of distinction is cool. Jjaba the Dexter Bus driver Cass Tech Clown will never figure it out....GB and I are even willing to fly into DTW and take the J-boy fishing at the foot of lakewood as part of the Eastside Mystery Tour...Do you remember by brother Bob (DHS 58)

GB - KellyRoad 7 & Kelly J COLE and myself will all be co authors and now you joining us about growing up on the EASTSIDE....something Jjaba will have nothing to add to....thank god....remember he opted for the East side HS CAss Tech....but is always spitting out some goofy stuff about the westside, driving the dexter bus and he never knew Sheila Fishman the Mumford Fox....so he is useless...

Mike Miles was a MSU student and I used to see him on campus while attending... I have wondered what ever happened to Dennis Elvidge and Bob Workman????

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Sorry, I don’t remember your brother… mainly because I haven’t figured out who you are yet. I left Mapleridge just about the same time you arrived. GB was easy to ID from his address and disreputable activities on Mackinac (pronounced Mackinaw), but you’re still a mystery. Give me a hint.

I think Workman went to U of M, but after that don’t know anymore. Switchboard.com shows a Dennis Elvidge in Sterling Heights, MI. God wouldn’t make more than one would he?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I stopped by Crapatta's a few times after I returned to MI from CT. If you ever saw a '59 Pontiac Catilina, red body, white top parked on Salter, that was me.

(Message edited by Olddetroiter on April 19, 2008)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Been doing some more thinking about our Mapleridge connection. Not exactly sure when we left for CA, but I’m guessing it was probably around end July ‘57. The drive normally took about 5 days with stops before the interstates, and I had some time to familiarize myself with the CA environment before school started. Depending on when you moved it’s possible we may have missed each other by a week or two. How ironic that we should meet fifty years later from thousands of miles away.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone was asking about current enrollment for Denby...it is 2323 according to a website I found. When I graduated in 1967, it had grades 10-12, with almost 1000 students per grade. My June graduating class had over 650 and January was over 250.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I left for California in '57, I think Denby had over 4,000 and my class had about 1,000. By contrast, the school I finally graduated from in CA had only about 500 in the whole school.

Goblue

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby had Wally Cox...aka Mr. Peepers...and...Pee Wee Herman...aka ES61!

OD: Were you at the '84 reunion...and afterward the Columbus Class of '55 runion?

Very few people knew about the Mackinac Island escapades...but I wasn't the only one...still have pics in a shoe box somewhere.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Didn’t attend the reunions. I have been out of touch with the old gang so long that I didn’t even know about them.

Just for the record. I wasn’t the one who caused the trouble at Mackinac. I was just standing around minding my own business when I saw all you guys climbing over the chairs trying to get out the back door. I didn’t know why, but I figured it might be a good idea to follow you.

Goblue

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I was a lover not a fighter...those Indians were tough guys...it just seemed prudent to get the hell out of there.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember a jug of Mogen David somehow fell into our laps that night. We were all sharing it in a gentlemanly manner until Noel tried to run off with it.

Can’t post anymore for awhile. Wife wants the computer.

Goblue

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mogen David...Boone's Farm...one of those high quality cabernets...lolol. Greed always has been a terrible vice.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who were born after the invention of dirt this web site might be of interest to some Denby Grads around 74'. For those that frequent this thread regularly it won't apply. jk

http://www.denby74.com/guestbo ok.php