Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to be honest I was crying like a baby.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you did it or your son? Or both.

Zitro

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son, it was kind of unexpected. he had been progressing nicely and his high game before that was 279 but you just don't think of a 16 year old having the kahunnas to perform like he did in the 10th frame. They were all solid in the pocket. We bowl in a parent child league so the whole house stopped and mugged us and he jumped into my arms. It was pretty special.

(Message edited by zitro on April 25, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great. It really matters more when something great happens to/for you kids than when it does to yourself. Although, that doesn't totally suck either.

Sjbad
Username: Sjbad

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, where did you get the picture of the choir? It was hard to see the small faces to recognize anyone.

Jcole

Post Number: 349
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sjbad, If you want to post an email address, I can send you the copy he had made and sent out to those of us who wanted it. I can also send the Church paper.

Jcole

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sjbad, are you Steve Badowski?

Sjbad
Username: Sjbad

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes. my email is sjbad@bellsouth.net
I found a job and different state where they couldn't call me Stevie B. ha ha

Zitro

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, hey an old cross country mate

Jcole

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I sent him the pic and paper.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try to post both the bulletin and some newer pictures of the church and neighborhood on the St. Jude facepage book page. I think I also have the class picture we took a few years ago.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sjbad: Do you have a brother Jim? See cub scout picture posted on March 20 (far left side)
Welcome to the forum.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone.....what's the latest on SJS?.....

Zitro

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Cfg is following it the closest

Jcole

Post Number: 375
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to show that I do have some St. Jude memorabilia left, here is Fr. Grady

Jcole

Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here is a typical picture of one of the neighborhood houses back in the 50's. It happens to be mine, of course.
And I couldn't neglect a communion pic. I know we all have them.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Congrats to your son on his 300! I lost count of the firsts that were done at an earlier age, but I count it all joy!

Jc: Thanks for posting these great pictures! Is that your Dad? And which one is you?

Slow: Thanks for setting up the facebook page. I don't have an account yet, but I'll figure it out, and get something out there soon. I am wondering if you are connected with the parish commissions at this time, or just interested in reconnecting like myself.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Thanks for the pics. Yeah, That's Fr. Grady alright, the classic widow's peak and boyish looks. I may have been at his first Mass at SJ (not 100% sure...after so many years and so many stories it's sometimes hard to differentiate fact and fiction). but anyway I do recall vividly his appointment at SJ was met with fanfare like a Bruce Springstein concert. He was THE buzz at the time.....young, friendly, charming and a decent orator.

Your house pic is the epitome of the 50s north of 7 mi (3 bedroom bungalow some aluminum sided) lots of kids. Could have been Ozzie and Harriet in that pic or even June Cleaver bringing out lemonade.

Shouldn't there be a halo above that girl in the communion picture?

Zitro: Congrats on your son's 300. WOW and you were there...that's special!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of those houses had asbestos siding before being modernized with aluminum. Our old "farmhouse" on Eastburn had asbestos made to look like brick. But, of course, it didn't. We always said our house was the one covered with phoney brick. Guess it didn't matter that I smoked for 30 years or so with all the asbestos exposure. Our basement heating pipes were wrapped in the stuff.

Jcole

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, yes, that's my dad and I'm not sure I'm even in that pic. It might be before I was born. The girl on the sidewalk is one of my two oldest sisters. The other kids are neighbor kids. Dad was a go-to guy.
Eastburn, the house was later aluminum sided, a paved driveway put in as well as a garage with an attached enclosed patio and cyclone fencing.
And an 18ft above ground pool.
We were livin' the high life :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, every girl in the parish had a crush on Fr.G. He used to come to our house a lot. He'd walk in the front door, take off his priest collar, hang it up in the coat closet, mix himself a 7 and 7 and sit down to play cards.
He was very down to earth.
As to the halo on the girl in the pic, I don't think it would have fit.
My mother was so mad at me that day. On my arm facing away from the camera, there is a open-mouth sized bruise where I had sat in school sucking on my arm to see what would happen. Here we were supposed to be all holy and pure, and I gave my self a hickey.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: compliments to the photographer then.

As to Fr. Grady, It must have been special know the human side of a priest. It seems back in the day you never saw a priest without the collar and of course a nun without the habit..I seem to recall the first time I saw a priest without the collar was at a St. Jude altar boy picnic...Fr. DeHarnis wearing bermuda shorts, a hawaiian shirt and drinking a michelob beer...It seemed like bizarro world at that time. You (your family) and Eastburn (with Fr. Ording) had unique relationship with priests. Funny thing, I don't seem to recall any priests visiting in our neighborhod (maybe 7 K KID can verify this one)

Jcole

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, my dad was very involved with the Choir and mom was a mover and shaker in the altar society. We had the choir master and his side-kick, the creepy Jasper, over swimming quite often. Also, we lived eight houses from the rectory, so when they just wanted to take a quick walk, we were right down the way. Incidentally, I don't ever recall any nuns visiting.

(Message edited by jcole on April 27, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to Z's church paper...

Did Fr. James Burns have a brother who was also a priest?

The name Fr. Bodie rings a bell. Any collective remembrance of him?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No news on the school yet - I took some pictures of the inside of St. Jude this past Saturday - I didn't take too many, because I was in a hurry - but will take more next week, as well as pictures of the outside of the "convent", gym and school.
Belated contrats Z on your son's 300!! Highest I ever got was a 249!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No news on the school yet - I took some pictures of the inside of St. Jude this past Saturday - I didn't take too many, because I was in a hurry - but will take more next week, as well as pictures of the outside of the "convent", gym and school.
Belated congrats Z on your son's 300!! Highest I ever got was a 249!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh, forgot to say the pics are on the facebook page.

Zitro

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Thanks, 249 is nothing to sneeze at.

7andkelly

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, Unfortunately, I still need to set up an account, or am I missing something.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, yes, you do need to set up an account, but if you follow the link, it will take you through the process. I had never signed up before, and just followed the directions. Paste this whole address in your web browser to get the to the St. Jude page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Detroit-MI/St-Jude-Roman-Catho lic-Parish/13026593213
I'm going to see if I can post the church paper that we sent each other. So far I can see a way to post pictures of videos, but not other files. I'll figure it out ---or ask one of the "kids" at work! I'll get better pictures this weekend.