Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through April 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Ankles are funny things...some people have them that stay straight in skates while other "flop like fish". From the first time I tied on a pair of single runners I never had a problem...my daughter and her three kids are all excellent skaters while my son's ankles roll over...almost makes me wonder if there's something genetic.

Jcole: I can't remember the years you were at Heilmann...I wonder if you were one of those "little kids" who was always in the way when we were trying to skate backwards at high speed or to slam on the brakes to send snow flying over the boards...all to impress our girlfriends. If you got your first kiss on the ice you were lucky your braces didn't freeze together! lol ES got his tongue stuck to one of the metal poles after we told him that it would taste like candy...we had to dump warm water on him to get him loose. He wasn't the sharpest tack on the board in those days.

GB...Today a member of the Slow Puckers

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, I tried to choose guys without braces, so mine wouldn't lock with theirs.
I probably was one of the little pests if you were 'big' before 1968. That was my 6th grade winter.

Goblue

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: I was in the pre-braces days so we didn't have to worry about braces locking or freezing together...did have to worry about carbon monoxide from running the car while we were parked after skating trying to warm up...hot chocolate just didn't do it. My last day of skating at Heilmann was probably during the winter of '58-'59. The Heilmann team I played on won the outdoor league city championship in February of '59...I had graduated in January and started at WSU...and then I headed for WMU in September.

GB...Hard hitting defenseman for the Arizona Slow Puckers

(Message edited by GoBlue on April 15, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was kind of young for you, but you may have known my brother Jim. He would have graduated about the same time you did. He went to St. Jude, then got thrown out of Notre Dame in his freshman year, and went to St. Catherine after that. He used to hang out at Heilmann with his buddy Al Enderle, and drink. He stole my dad's car once when he was 14, drove it to Heilmann, got drunk and crawled back home. Those were HIS good ol' days.
My brother-in-law went to Denby. His last name was Lanuzza and he played tuba in the band there.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Denby for driver's ed. Does that count? It was an absolute blast!

They let you drive around in these newer cars around their little training track.

He caught me watching some girl in her car, and taking off from a stop sign without looking. Of course I "almost ran into his car". So he gets on his blow horn, and says "[7andkelly], that's how accidents happen!"

Jcole

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did driver's ed at Denby, too. On the little enclosed course. I remember driving a Plymouth Duster.
God, I was a bad driver.

Goblue

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee wiz...Denby guys never got drunk and swiped their parents cars! And if you believe that...I've got some great lakefront property for sale here in the desert. Today that kind of stuff would get ya a permanent record...plus a label of some sort of special education.

Jcole

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and Regina girls weren't easy :-)

Goblue

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well....MOST Regina girls weren't easy. lol

Jcole

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there for 3 yrs. You'd be amazed.

Goblue

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My experience sample is a total of one Regina girl...except for her I dated public school girls...mostly due to the religious bigotry that was so prevelant...her folks went nuts and so did mine at the thought of us dating...plus, she was the girl who lived next door.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: GB got run out of the neighborhood and had to hide at Jjaba's house on Northlawn because of his antics at Heilmann and it was with a catholic girl. I am glad that you had the RHS experience....in my era we all loved the NDHS Friday night dances.... Please Join myself, GB, 7&K, Kelly Road and others because we will be putting together our book about the EASTSIDE..... and will benefit from your insight and experiences.

Jcole

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those ND Friday night dances very well. Our parents would turn us loose over there, thinking that we were being handed over to the care of the good Fathers. Hah. As soon as we got dropped off, we headed for the bathrooms to 'enhance' our makeup(i.e. cake it on as thick as possible), find someone with a bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, and PARTY!
This was primarily in 8th and 9th grade. After that, we'd latched onto some poor schmuck with a car and were off and running. Balduck, here we come!!

Jcole

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61, I am honored by your request.
To paraphrase a really old song, the book could be called 'East Side, Best Side'

(Message edited by jcole on April 15, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: GB in a white ford convert....is known as the Mayor of BAllduck - for whole variety of reasons..... Glad that you have join us...

What are you doing now???? GB is on a work furlough program...in AZ

Jcole

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a freelance computer tech, so I could say I'm semi-retired, what with today's employment market.

Goblue

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Thank God that ES was gone from the eastside before you were a high school freshman...he was a noted rake and a notorious scandalizer of young women. Another noted member of the eastside DPD had to give him a sound whoppin' when he caught him messin' with his daughter in their basement.

Jcole

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was probably my sister.

Goblue

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could have been your sister ALSO...but the officer mentioned had the initials BH...AND...to top it off...the sweet young thing's mother was our second grade teacher. I'm tellin'...ES had/has no shame!

Jcole

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good thing he had gotten past 2nd grade, or he may never have gotten out at all.

Goblue

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My understanding is that Mrs. H. sent him out of the second grade on a "social promotion"...plus his father's reputation as a noted DPS educator. After officer BH got through with him he took him home and turned him over to his father...who finished the job with belt applied to his ass.

Jcole

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the way it was, get in trouble on the outside, and your folks would finish it up at home

Goblue

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got that right...I knew better than to go home to complain that one of my dad's former partners had clipped me alongside the head for lying to him about where we got the beer.

Jcole

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You never went home and complained about what a nun did to punish you, or you would get it three times as bad from your parents. You were damned lucky if they didn't call the house to rat you out, anyway.
I was dumb. I would go home and rat myself out, for fear the nun would call, and they never did. They were masters of psychology.

Goblue

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not me! I kept my mouth shut! But, the cost was more than a few sleepless nights waiting to find out if the sword would fall...that was my story and I stuck to it!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: GB was the only Denby grad that I knew from the neighborhood who actually graduated from the juvenile hall HS program. There was a DPD patrolman who lived on Parkgrove and GB is right who's wife was a teacher at Columbus and they had two attractive daughters and GB with his White Ford Convert.... actually was arrested at BAllduck with the older daughter... then came the J Hall experience.... and then a potato farming project in the high desert of AZ.... Think he did go to one Denby prom.... it was fix up date from a friend who owed him money....

7andkelly

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those. There were: "Set-up dates", "pity dates", "non-dates", and my favorite, "old girl friends' 'I'm sorry I broke up with you, and I feel so bad, so I'm giving you one of my friends to go out with' dates".

Jcole

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then there was 'the starter date': a girl or guy not quite hot, but nice, who was easy to talk to, but you wouldn't want to go with very long. Just enough to get used to dating, then move on.
I was 'given' away as a starter date to someone by and ex-boyfriend, and the relationship lasted 3 years. HAH

7andkelly

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And since you're with your starter date, you don't know when it should end, even though it's going nowhere, so you keep it going for 3 years, until you realize that's 3 years you're not getting back, so you finally cut your losses and get out.

Hypothetically, of course. Not that that happened to me or anything.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Re your April 15th post – Freelance computer tech? Lucky you (I’m being sarcastic). I spent my whole career in IT. It was fun until the last few years. Was with EDS when it was spun-off from GM and was fortunate enough to qualify for early retirement benefits. Made the cutoff by 4 months. Thought about it for about 10 seconds and said YES! I contracted for a few months after that, but I was pretty burned out by then and couldn’t take the pressure anymore. Gave it up for good in ’97 and became a homebody. I got my stepson a job with EDS when he graduated from high school in ’85, and he’s still there. I keep telling him to get out, but he won’t listen to me.