Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cgf: Thanks for the pics on facebook. Was the pipe organ moved or added on to? I didn't notice the pipes located behind the iconostasis the last time I visited 4-5 yrs ago.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, Thanks for the tips. I'm in with the name of Sj Nostalgia which is a yahoo account I established as a work around to get Z's church paper.

Alfred won't let me reveal my true identity:-) But if you picture me as a little kid with a crew cut from Gem's wearing my Vetere's blue nylon jacket buttoned only around my neck like a cape, and running around like a nut singing DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA BATMAN!, and then try to read the name in the white letters on the back of the jacket, then you will be half way there!

I'm pretty sure I know who you are now, and from I remember, you were always a great St. Jude family! Dave was in my grade.

I was going to post Z's '65 church paper, and another one I found from '70 or '71 with the grads on the front, but I am running into the same problem.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone think we became better students using those big black pencils without erasers? I always though the old expression was that's why they made them. Just wondering

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I do think I have arthritis in my fingers from being whacked with Sr. Daniel Michael's metal edged ruler because I couldn't write with the damned things.

Zitro

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO!

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - You definitely know who I am. I FORGOT about my Vetere's blue jacket - with the name on the back. I think that was the only way most folks could tell Betty and I apart! We always got our ice skates there too - they had the 2nd hand ones pretty cheap. I'll try and get some answers on the posting of pdf files. I have more nostalgia to share as well - but am running into technical difficulties! Hopefully, we'll all be able to bring the "real stuff" to a get together at some point this year!

7andkelly

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may have one of those in a cigar box in the basement. I know I have my yellow 1st grade ruler. It's Made in America so it still works.

7andkelly

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Tell the truth. Did you, or did you not, for any reason, ever swap jackets?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7k - Well, since it's been a few years since then, I can confess - that there WERE times that her jacket came in handy! :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too cool!

Zitro

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe I saw this on Detroit Yes somewhere but I don't think it was posted here. If it was I apologize. For those who are geographically removed from the area it brings back some nice memories.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=M0I 1K7ijJIA

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm SO glad this posting is out there for those of you not living in the area. Last week I went to the church to stuff the bulletins with notices for our Sunday "clean-up". While I was alone in the church, the bells starting ringing at 6pm. There are no words to describe the feeling.

Zitro

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a distinctive ring for sure. Hearing them at 6pm meant there was only a couple of hours left to play ball.

7andkelly

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear the bells. Must stop what I'm doing and pray the Angelus!

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum (Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee)

Dulcis instar mellis campana vocor Gabrielis (I am sweet as honey, and am called Gabriel's bell)

Ecce Gabrielis sonat hęc campana fidelis (Behold this bell of faithful Gabriel sounds)

Missi de coelis nomen habeo Gabrielis (I bear the name of Gabriel sent from heaven)

Missus vero pie Gabriel fert lęta Marię (Gabriel the messenger bears joyous tidings to holy Mary)

O Rex Glorię Veni Cum Pace (O King of Glory, Come with Peace)

Excerpt from www.fisheaters.com

Zitro

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 7&K.

No Tigs, Wings, or Pistonians 2nite what's a guy to do?

7andkelly

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure the fridge and pantry are stocked, jerseys, shirts, caps (and for some dirty socks) are laid out, and test to make sure PIP is working for tomorrow!

Zitro

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a great plan. I'm on it

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful 7&K - thanks

Kellyroad

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Fr. Burns is standing by the door behind the bishop in the bottom photo (circa early 60s).
Can anyone identify the two other priest other than Fr. Ording in the top photo?

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 28, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your thanks, and thanks to Z for the bells.

Zitro

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy over Fr.Burns left shoulder with his head down is Larry O'Brien.

Jcole

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was this for Confirmation?

Jcole

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The priest in front of the Bishop may be Fr. DeSantis. He was there about then.

Jcole

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one near Fr. Ording could be Fr. O'Calahan, but I kind of doubt it. It could be someone the Bishop brought with.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: I thought Fr. O'Calahan came in after Fr. Burns. (Come to think of it Fr. O'Calahan may have been the one priest to visit our home....thanks for the memory jog). The pictures are of the Blessing of the church somewhere in the early to perhaps mid 60s. I'm not sure if the front priest was Fr. DeSantis but that was my guess.

Jcole

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it Fr. DesHarnais?

7andkelly

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Thanks for the great pictures! What year were the photos taken, and if you have the SJ Calendar from that year, we could look up all the priests.

Jcole

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at the St. Jude paper Z sent out, which was '65 and the priests were DesHarnais, Burns and Grady. Neither of those are Grady. And Burns is already represented. So it could be a year or two earlier, before Grady, when I think DeSantis was there, or it could be part of the Bishop's entourage.

Jcole

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, that IS John, Cardinal Dearden, isn't it?

7andkelly

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone's been doing their Religion homework.