Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Osgood for Hall of Fame? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on discussion from Valenti & Foster on 97.1...

I agree completely with Mike on this one. Assuming that Osgood has 1 more decent season he will finish somewhere between 10th and 8th in all-time wins. He is currently 2nd in wins for the franchise, and his playoff win% is one of the greatest of all time. Behind Sawchuk he is clearly the 2nd best goalie in Red Wings history.

What do you think?

Resume (assuming cup win this season and respectable 2009):
3 Stanley cups, 2 as starter
2nd winningest goalie in Red Wings history
8th on NHL career wins list

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7715
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, interesting. For HOF voting though, I'd have to toss out the Red Wings' stats. He was on some pretty amazing teams (this current one included).

I'd try to look at his NHL career as a whole and try to use that as a criteria. His all time NHL wins MIGHT catapult him in but then again, maybe not.

And while he might have been on 3 Stanley Cup teams, didn't Mike Vernon win one of them, Dominik Hasek the other and he only won one as the starter?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was not part of the 2002 team...he was with the Islanders that season. I was assuming he goes on to win it this season. I think we should remember that he played quite a bit in 96-97. Bowman turned to Vernon when it came to the playoffs though.

I think any hall of fame calibur player needs the help of their teammates to get there.

Delvecchio had Howe and gang
Aikman had Smith and Irvin and gang
Pippen had Jordan and gang

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7718
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's to hoping your psychic powers are dead on!

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 663
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't punish a player because he was on a good team.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ozzie has been consistent and active for a long time.

I feel he is in his prime after years and years of play. He has so much experience and is applying that to this Cup run.

Depending on his play over the upcoming few seasons, if he does more of the same, I think he will be a shoe in.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is his total lifetime win/loss record? If it's what I think it is, it's not hall of fame caliber. Not even close to the Dominator, I would guess.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope he makes it. The bigger question is does Eric Lindros make it into the HOF.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.hockey-goalies.net/ dates.asp

I'm hardly a big hockey fan, but does he really stack up against those that are currently in the hall?
Not a lot of goalies in the HOF. Only two have been inducted since the late 80's.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The list of average players in the Hockey Hall of Fame is huge.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 664
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lindros doesn't stand a chance. No cup wins, injury prone, faded in big games. The best trade the Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche franchise ever made was to trade him to the Flyers after they drafted him for Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Chris Simon, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, two first round picks, and $15 million.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked Lindros and his style of play, but concussions and other injuries kept him down. He should not make the HHoF, but he should be honored by the Flyers. He kept that franchise on the good path through the mid-late 90's.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a few years, it will be hard not to make a case for him to end up in the hall. He had 27 regular season wins this year...as a backup. I'm willing to bet that Hasek is done all together or that the Wings are done with him. He'll get more wins as a starter than as a backup. However, just for conversation's sake, lets assume that over the course of the next 3 seasons he averages about the same win total.

That would provide him with 81 additional regular season wins to go on top of his 363 he has now for a total of 444. That would put him in 6th place all time in wins ahead of Jacques Plante, Tony Esposito, Glen Hall, and Grant Fuhr and only 3 behind Terry Sawchuk for 5th.

In fact, if Osgood hadn't spent so many years as a backup to other great goaltenders like Vernon and Hasek, he might very well have been in contention to move into the top 3 or 4 along with the other great goaltenders of his generation like Roy, Brodeur, and Belfour.

I think image might be what keeps Osgood out of the hall more than anything else. Even though he is clearly an accomplished netminder in his own right, some people, I feel, view him as a glorified Manny Legace. I think even most Detroit fans view him as the solid backup and occasional starter because as a younger goalie he spent a lot of time backing up some other greats who happened to be a few seasons older and more experienced at the time.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he is under rated. If he is around a few more years and keeps it up, his time will come.
Not yet though.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, his image hurts him. He doesn't have the name brand recognition of a Roy or Brodeur. But who knows, he still has time to make a name for himself. He's come a long way from that day he gave away that puck up the boards to San Jose in the playoffs.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says a lot when you look at the goalies that have come through Detroit since Ozzy has been here, and in the end we keep coming back to Mr Dependable.

Mike Vernon
Curtis Joseph
Dominic Hasek

Ozzy's struggles early in his career helped him become reliable in the 98 playoffs. The Ozzy we are seeing right now is the direct result of the fumbles early in his career, and maturity buit over the years.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regular Season Stats through the end of this season (from NHL.com)

Osgood 664 games played 363 wins 195 losses 66 ties 15 OT 47 shutouts GAA 2.43 Sv% .907

Hasek 735 games played 389 wins 223 losses 93 ties 13 OT 96 shutouts GAA 2.20 Sv% .922

For comparison, Grant Fuhr's stats;
868 Games played 403 wins 295 losses 114 ties 25 shutouts GAA = 3.38 sv% below .9

Considering that he still has some career ahead of him, in my opinion he is on track for hall of fame. The knock that he has played on stacked teams is not a valid point. Most players that are in the hall have been on successful teams.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night Ozzie past Terry Sawchuk for all time playoff wins by a Wings goalie.

Since he's returned to the Wings, he's been very steady. A good team guy, he waited for his opportunity and seized it! I get the impression that he never wanted to leave in the first place. He did what he had to do to get back in that Winged Wheel jersey.

A rhetorical question for everyone. Would the Wings have made the finals if Dom was still in the nets?

Let's chew on that for a while.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 695
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't see the Wings re-signing Dom. Time to bring up Jimmy Howard.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Wizard of Oz. He is really underrated, probably one the most underrated overall players in the NHL. I think if he keeps his pace up for a few more seasons he is a shoe in for the HOF if he isnt already. But Jimmy Howard needs to come up now he is the Future from what i hear.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy Howard could be the future, but he remains untested in a season-wide sense.

The Wings are capable of finding various other young talents to fill any void left between the pipes due to retirement, injury, trade or lack of consistency and talent. Don't worry about Detroit scouting.

Ozzie does have a very strong chance at ending up in the hall of fame. According to a radio caller yesterday, he made a very strong point about how every goalie with 400+ career wins is currently in the HoF. I don't think Ozzie will have a tremendous amount of difficulty reaching this achievement, barring injury or retirement. Regarding injury and retirement, I can't remember a time when Ozzie has ever been injured and I think he has several good years left.

What does his current and future contracts look like? My vague recollection says he was either just signed for 2 years, or offered 2 years, or being looked at for a 2 year extension.

Go Wings!

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction - Hasek - 81 regular season shutouts.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 941
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he can shit the pens out for an entire stanley cup finals put him in!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

defendbrooklyn,

I assume you meant shut, but shit works just as well I guess. He is eating them alive.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to see how Roy Edwards would have done with this batch of Wings in front of him. How did Ozzie do away from the Wings?
That should answer the Hall of Fame questions. He's a good goalie but not a great one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.