Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through April 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 622
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe, but I'd assume only Porcello who is a #1 or #2 or #3 starter. (Porcello better be a #2 or #3 in a few years or else we are in trouble - if he is a back of the rotation pitcher).

Cruceta is headed to the CoPa pen soon.

The rest are ????? to me.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 652
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest I don't know a lot about the guys I mentioned, but I do remember that Larrison was a moderately high draft pick a few years back and has been progressing up the organization fairly well

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 393
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me again how we take Galarraga out of the rotation and replace him with Willis next week? Too bad money dictates so many decisions in baseball.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2248
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think we should ask Rogers how he feels about the idea of pitching in relief for a while. Who knows? He just might shrug and say, "Sure, why not?"

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to keep Galarraga starting until he fails. At this point that would mean he gets two bad starts in a row. If anything, we should allow extra time to make sure Willis is ready when he comes back from his developmental assignment. He certainly wasn't ready out of spring training, but then neither were most of the Tigers. I blame Leland and his coaches for that. There is absolutely no legitimate excuse for the poor start. That said, I give them credit for finally righting the ship. Bonderman left after 5 last time, but despite the walks, he actually avoided disaster in the first two innings. Verlander's looking more like his sharper self. If we're eventually going to send a starter to the pen, my vote goes to Robertson, and not Rogers. We already have an old guy in the pen who throws strikes, but not all that fast, so we don't need Rogers there too. Robertson can bring some necessary heat for the later innings, and can pitch long relief as well. In reality, he's been mediocre as a starter the whole time, and I don't see where he fits in if we are to seriously contend for a championship. So we add Cruceda and Robertson to the pen, and subtract Grilli and Miner.

Thankfully, Polonco seems to be coming around. That and Granderson's return are a blessing. Shef is still in a slump, so what's up with that? Did the shots take? We may need to DL him.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 623
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

back to position ball.

I like Inge at 3B, Guillen at 1B (but he is not a natural 1B, though), and Cabrera at LF.

Granderson will make Cabrera and Maggs better outfielders.

other thoughts:

1). Granderson is the heart and soul of this team.

2). I doubt Sheff is ANYWHERE near 90%, not let lone 100%.

3). Inge can be the heart and soul also if given a chance to be himself. If he hits .250+ and plays his great D he becomes a key part of this team. The #9 hitter doesn't need to hit .275+.

4). Players like Granderson and Inge can't be measured in stats alone (P.S. there are other Tigs like that - fine players but even better as teammates).

Emu_steve

Post Number: 624
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, if they'd give a '6th man award' in baseball wouldn't it be Inge?

7andkelly

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Inge is a good utility player. We should keep him. Too bad he can't hit for average, or else he would be a starter, if not here, then somewhere else.

7andkelly

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabrera lacks the range, speed and throwing strength to play outfield. Even third base is a question mark for him. He would make for a big target at first base.

But he can hit the ball as hard as I've seen since Boog Powell and Harmen Kilebrew, so we need him in the lineup somewhere.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shef has got to go. Drop him down in the lineup or something. He's dead weight. 2 Rbi's all year. Curtis already has more in 4 games

7andkelly

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw his HR on the 12th...a no doubter. We were at the park yesterday, and it was like watching Monroe last year...totally lost.

All-in-all a fun day. Eyes on the Tigs and ears to the Wings game. Winning is fun!

Zitro

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't sneak any looks at the Pistons you won't like what you see. They're done. Let's hope Verlander is on his game 2nite

7andkelly

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't stop myself. So far, it's awful. Now the Tigs are on, I won't have to.

Don't like ESPN's Morgan. He's anti-D.

Zitro

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya. Is 97 mph fast enough for you Joe.

Zitro

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far so good, if he can keep that shoulder closed he'll be tough to hit 2nite

Zitro

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must have given Shef an RBI for that grounder up the middle yesterday. I thought that was an error. Sorry 3 RBI's

7andkelly

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course Weaver's fastball is better, because he "HIDES IT"!

Zitro

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It almost as frustrating as listening to Brent Musbuger do any Detroit broadcast he's the worst

7andkelly

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or Clement and Thorne broadcasting a Wings game.

Zitro

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, I haven't seen Barry Melrose, since he predicted the Avs would win this series

7andkelly

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Kell and Larry Osterman. "Thanks Larry, and good afternoon everyone". Ernie Harwell and Ray Lane. Those were the days.

But I actually like our local radio and TV guys now.

7andkelly

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't look now, but the Stones are winning.

Zitro

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan Dickerson is great. I catch them on XM when they're playing at home. Rod wears on me a little, but Mario is top notch.

Zitro

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that, Chauncey is finally stepping up

7andkelly

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We met Allen at All-Star fan fest at Cobo. He and my son had a good chat.

And Price connects back to 68 with Kaline, Cash and Horton.

Zitro

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Rod at Hockey Town during the WS. My son and I got up in the broadcast booth a couple years ago in KC and talked to Ernie & Price. Don't ask me how we did it, but I wanted to get note to Ernie to read on the air for a sick cousin in Detroit. They kept sending us to the next place and after about 4 security stops we got up the booth before the game. Very cool.

Zitro

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple nice calls there

7andkelly

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask and you shall receive. It works most of the time.

Just let people know what you want. Most people are wired to want to help you. If you run into those who won't, just keep asking different people. I was finally convinced of this when I found out it works for the cable company too!

Zitro

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as everyone is so understanding with Shef' plight there's no way he's going to sit

7andkelly

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus he's old, and they kissed his behind and overpaid him to play here.