Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had 11 solid years of religion homework. It's not something I am likely to ever forget.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 386
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: I wish I had the SJ Calander from that year. I'll have to look at the original jpg file year to determine the time frame. So far Z's 65 calendar is going to do for investigative work. I remember Fr. Bodie, and later Fr. Burns were early to mid 60s and then Fr. O'Leary and Fr. O'Callahan were assigned in the mid to late 60s. I remember the priests' eras by the years I served as an altar boy and by the times they would visit the classrooms during report card time....."Good morning father, may we please have your blessing". Fr. LaGrasso really knew how to butcher most our last names...It almost seemed he was doing it on purpose.

Not sure about Bishop Deardon. It may have been an auxillary bishop. I didn't think he wore those type of glasses if at all.....more investigative work needed.

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 28, 2008)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't look like Fr. DeSantis (at least as I remember him). My Dad converted to Catholicism around 1958 - 59 & Fr. Charlie (as Pa called him) instructed him & was at our place quite often. Great guy!

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just guessing it's Fr. Bodie because I recall him being a bit older than the other priests at St. Jude at the time.

Jcole

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long was Fr. DesHarnais there?

7andkelly

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back EB. Note there is now a SJ facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Detroit-MI/St-Jude-Roman-Catho lic-Parish/13026593213

Jcole

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the St. Jude Parish website:
"The Twentieth Anniversary celebrations were held in 1961 with a blessing of the permanent church and a dinner at Cobo Hall, along with a symbolic mortage burning."
So, if this was the blessing of the church, the priests would be from that era. I turned 5 yrs. old that year, so I'm a little out of my element.

(Message edited by jcole on April 28, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Good detective work. 1961 was the year I made my first communion and my dad was usually at church events with his exacta camera and kodachrome film.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR:........that's not you in the first pic?

7andkelly

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking at a St. Jude Calendar from 1958. Fr. Bernard LaBelle, Fr. Charles Goentges, and Fr. John Raymo assisted Fr. Joseph Ording at that time. Maybe it's one of those guys.

It's yellowed from age, and a bit oversized. Hopefully I can get it scanned some time.

Jcole

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked my sister about priests from the early 60's and she mentioned a Fr. Lupo. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I added the bulletin to the St. Jude facepage by scanning the pages and saving as graphics. It worked out well and the text is easy to read.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Thanks for the contributions here and to Face page. Let's keep a good dialogue going here and post real pertinent info on facepage. Hopefully, this will snowball and result in many more contributors.

It seems like old St. Jude Calendars are THE key to nostalgic documentation. I wish I had just kept a few more. There must be a place in the St. Jude office where old Calendars are kept, perhaps in a bound form. It would be great to see the news back in the 40s or early 50s along with who was on staff and the local advertisers....Even a every 4 year sequence would give a good representation. It seemed the priests back then had a 4 year assignment.

7K: Fr RAYMO...thanks for the memory jog. Fr. Raymo was one of the 1st assistants i recall leaving for another parish. I seem to recall Fr. Burns or Fr. Grady replacing him in the early 60s. I do hope you get that 58 St. Jude Calander posted. TX

7_and_Kelly_kid: No, that's not me in the pic. I would have been only 8. I think my dad had a few extra shots to use up on his slide film roll so he decided to shoot the church blessing (at least thats my theory)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Did you know the Nalleys of Faircrest?...large family, kids at St. Jude school. John was in my class; his older brother Bob was our News paperboy on Eastwood in the late 50s early 60s. He sold his route to my next door neighbor, who sold it to his brother, who sold it to me. (This could go under Eastwood memories too). Anyway, Bob became a Marist priest...taught English and was a soccer coach at NDHS). below is his picture as Brother Nalley from the 1969 NDHS yearbook.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR:.now that you mention it..............it ain't you!...anyway I'm working on that face page thing.......DV

7andkelly

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Thanks for the Fr. Nalley update.

I had a friend at NDHS, Bill Promesso, who lived near 8 mile on the Detroit side, possibly closer to Kelly. Bill, like Bob Nalley, entered the priesthood, and is serving in the Archdiocese. He's even on the Catholic Channel once in a while. Let me tell you, as sappy as it may sound, it sure makes me proud!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly: Rev. Dr. William Promesso is now assigned to St. Cyprian Church in Riverview. He is a great homilist and in fact is a teacher of homiletics at the Seminary....Very dynamic personality. He attended St. Veronica Parish/school and lived on Collingham just off of Kelly Rd. He often mentions his family and northeast Detroit roots in his homilies.

7andkelly

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Veronica? That's on the other side of 8 Mile. Those safety boys sure had their work cut out for them.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the St. Jude Parish boundary lines went to Bringard. Edmore, Collingham, and Carlise all south of 8 mile belonged to the St. Veronica Parish.....brings up and interesting concept of parish boundaries. perhaps our northern boundary parishioners such as Eastburn or Eastburntoo could tell us what the northern boundary was(is). It seems the parish boundary lines were tightly monitored years ago. If you lived beyond Landsdowne you had to go to St. Brendan school, Springarden or south..Gardian Angles, I'm not sure what the western boundary was.

Jcole

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasnt' the next church to the west St. Raymond's or Assumption Grotto? Weren't 7 Mile and Gratiot the boundries for St. Ray's?

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's GaUrdian Angels.not Angles!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry about the typo 7KID

I believe the western boundaries went to Chalmers south of 7mi not sure what the western boundaries were north of 7mi.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - the Nalley name is SO familiar, but I can't place their house or any one of the kids our age.
7&K - it's not sappy at all - I think it's wonderful! I'll be watching for him - EWTN?
There are some great new pictures of the rectory stained glass doors on the facepage!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had to be St. Raymond's...........A. G. ran along 6 mile........then 8 and Gratiot would make the N. Westerest boundry.

7andkelly

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, The Comcast Catholic Channel used to be 9, but they moved it to a higher number that requires a box. It's now 291 I think, but we may have lost the local programming. WOW has EWTN without local broadcasts. If the local stuff is still there, they rotate the Sunday Mass broadcast so you would have to luck into Fr. Bill's Mass.

Fr. Zenz may still have a show, and he if he does, I highly recommend it! He deaconed at St. Jude for part of his time, and was ordained there too. You may have never been to a religious service as moving as that one! When it was finally official, he was dancing and jumping for joy on that altar like a kid on Christmas, hugging everyone, and just filled with the Holy Spirit.

7andkelly

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sure the Nalley's lived on Faircrest between Rex and Redmond, but I've been wrong about this kind of thing before.

For instance, the kid who ran away with the book reading contest was Annarelli, not Anderson, and the Iaquinta family was apparently two houses away from the Bass's not next door to them.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if I'm wrong: The eastern boundary of St. Jude went as far east as Lansdowne, east of that was St. Brendan in Detroit, Queen of Peace on the other side of Moross. Eastern board went to Chalmers south of 7Mi. east and south of that was Assumption Grotto, North of 7Mi the eastern boundary went to Gratiot, east of that ws St. Raymond (we knew parishioners that lived on Rossini right by Saratoga hospital)(maybe someone from the "green section could confirm this) the northern boundaries went north to Bringard north of that was St. Veronica. I'm not sure how far north St. Jude boundaries went in Harper Woods north of which is St. Peter and Paul. The south boarder I believe was Spring Garden on the southeast side of Morang GA was south of that. Of course St. Jude Parish's boundaries have changed with the incorporation of nearby parishes throughout the years. I'm sure there is a parish map outlining the boundaries. I remember how the parishes were real sticklers especially for school registration purposes. I've heard of people on opposite sides of the street having to send their kids to different catholic schools because of strict adherence to boundaries. Any historians out there please confirm

Kellyroad

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7k The Nalleys did live on the north side of Faircrest between Rex and Redmond. I'm not sure if it were the Iaquinta family or the Polakowski family that lived next door to the Bass family. BTW the Bass family was really involved with the St. Jude Choir. Check out the cover of Z's 65 Calendar.

7andkelly

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here it is, but can you read it?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My memory is really going! I can't remember any of the 3 assistants mentioned as being there in 1958 and that's the year I graduated. See what you "kids" have to look forward to?
7-K, been here. Just nothing to add for a while. I signed up on Facebook & misspelled my name. Must relate to condition in 1st para.
Eastburn was the northern border. Wonder how I remember that?
Bob Nally was my classmate at SJS & ND. He spent most of his career in the Gaylord Diocese after leaving the Marists. Didn't know he was back in Detroit. Last time I saw Bob was at our 30 year reunion. Bob said the Mass before the party in the gym.