Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through April 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I am sworn to keep it a secret... TT has told me that while we was a school administrator in SCS.... he would make as much or more in selling cards at shows.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Wow...I had no idea there was that much money in what he was doing...I don't know what that Mantle card would be worth today...but I'm reasonably certain that the entire shoe box full would have brought enough to get me a new BMW 7000...damn, damn, damn...who coulda known in 1971.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: No wonder he wasn't worried about the sale price of his home on Bishop and CPD.......He is still involved with the sale of some cards....

Goblue

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: And that essentially a cash business...hmmmm...wonder if the IRS knows.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhh! especially on 4/15

Goblue

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...that piece of knowledge insures that TT will NEVER disclose what he knows.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: he is an Eastsider! even waterboarding would never work...

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just came across this forum. Wish I had known about it before because I would have liked to have been involved in some of the earlier discussions. I did a quick scan through the old posts, and have a few comments to add.

I attended Columbus from 2nd through 8th grade and Denby for 2 ½ years. I would have graduated in 1959, but we moved to California in 1957 when I was half way through the 11th grade. I lived on Mapleridge next door to Mike Miles. Mike’s and my bedrooms were next to each other separated only by our driveway. Often after the parents had gone to bed Mike and I would sit at our bedroom windows talking across the driveway into the wee hours of the morning. Ed Rutherford, the Denby football coach, bought our house after we moved.

Swimming in the pool naked – I remember that. Does anyone remember the little pinhead sized hole in the joint between the lower swinging door and upper folding door? It was just big enough to see into the girl’s side, if you knew where it was. Didn’t do any good though because the girls wore bathing suits. (That’s what we called them in those days.) I wonder if the girls knew about the hole too.

Mapleridge, 1999 – I haven’t been back to Mapleridge since sometime in the ‘80s. That’s supposed to be one of the worst areas of the city now, and it’s not worth the risk.

Ron on Mapleridge who lost his eye to a BB gun – That was Ron Maier. The Maiers were a big family and lived across the street from Tom Ridas. Rich, Ron and Norman were all within a few years of each other age-wise. They were having a BB gun fight in their basement when Ron lost his eye.

Don’t remember Renee Morris. Did she arrive after I left? When I lived there Oullettes were directly across from me. Richard McKay lived across from Miles with his mother and step-father. I don’t know the step-father’s name. Roseann Mancuso lived on the corner of Mapleridge and Brock. Peggy Geschke (spelling?) lived next to her. Peggy’s big brother Bob joined the Coast Guard after high school.

Hennick girls – Remember them. Didn’t care much for red hair and freckles when I was little, but as we all grew up they either got a lot prettier or I got a lot smarter. Does anyone remember the Carey sisters? They lived on the other side of Parkgrove from the Hennicks half was between Salter and Morang. Ed Carey, their father was on the city council. A little heavy on the makeup, but very pretty. I remember the pretty girls on Spring Garden, but don’t remember their last name. Some other neighborhood pretty ladies were Pat Moore on Parkgrove, Nancy Ellswood on Glenwood, and Judy Sowerby on Faircrest.

Miss Freund –a big woman. She had a little Ford (a ’49 or ’50) and when she got in it would sink all the way to the axle. A wonder it didn’t break a spring or blow a shock.

Goblue – sounds like we might have been in the same class in Columbus or close to it. Lynn Laws, Gervin King, Noel Godfrey, Tony Nowak, Sharon Donahue (boy did I have a crush on her), and all the others sure are familiar names. I graduated from Columbus in January, 1955. Our class colors were pink and black. What about you?

Noel Godfrey – I knew Dale Robinson committed suicide, but I didn’t know about Noel.

GoBlue – just saw from one of your posts that you were in BSA 706. Me too, in the basement of the St. James Presbyterian Church. Mr. Wollard was scoutmaster. Mr. Newberry was assistant scoutmaster. Were you with the troop the summer we went to Mackinac Island? I think it was ’56 or ’57.

I guess this is enough for my first message. But before I go, there was a teacher at Denby. Don’t remember what she taught. Middle aged lady (not as old as we are now), grey hair, but with a decent figure. Always wore tight sweaters. We called her Sexy Grandma. Anyone remember who she was?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue – If you answered yes to my question about being a January 1955 Columbus graduate, I think I know who you are. Remember the little pink pamphlet they gave us when we graduated? Well I found mine, and here is the entire list of graduates from it.

Betty Bare
Diane Davis
Carol Dillenborger
Sharon Donahue
Dennis Elvidge
Janet Foulks
Noel Godfrey
David Grabda
Patricia Granthen
Barbara Groves
Judith Hubbell
Gervin King
Harry Krueger
Lynn Laws
Mary Ann McFadden
James Morche
Marvin Muriel
Anthony Nowak
Donald Pollard
Robert Reitz
Judith Rexin
Maxine Sainsbury
John Schandevel
Martha Steinke
Eugene Thompson
Dennis Trombly

If I’m right we were both in the Woodsman patrol in troop 706. When the troop went to the Grosse Isle Naval Air Station and Bob Wollard was trying to make us march everywhere we went, you were deliberately keeping out of step because you didn’t want him bossing us around. Am I right????

There was also a class picture in the little pamphlet, but I took mine out many decades ago to carry around in my wallet. If I still have it it’s probably buried beneath 50 years of junk in the basement, so I’ll probably never find it.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OldD: I want you to know that my family moved to Mapleridge when I started 8th grade at Columbus....we used to live on Eastwood. I used to park my bike either at Mike Miles house or Tommy Ridas house. My brother Bob grad. from DHS in 1958...and I do remember Renee "The Fox" Morris who I thought lived next to Bob O....but on that side of Mapleridge.
We lived four houses up from Salter on the opposite side than your house....Where in CA did you move to... I have lived in CA since 1970.....and I Have made several visits to Mapleridge....SAD to say the least.....Google Earth is the only way to check it out now.....

I was a 706 Cub Scout...but never got into scouts.....

The Hennicks and the Carey Girls were known to me....How about Dennis Huard who lived across the street from Hennicks.

Please continue to add your insight and memories to this thread.....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Sorry, I still don’t remember Renee so I’ll just have to take your word for it. Did she go to Columbus? When would she have graduated? She might have been younger than me, and I didn’t notice her. Or maybe it’s just old age pulling another dirty trick on me. Bummer… for every brain cell that passes on, hundreds of new fat cells are born in the stomach.

If I understand where you lived, did you know Fred Crapatta or his sister Carol Duncan? They lived on the corner of Mapleridge and Salter directly across from Bob Workman, kitty-corner from Dennis Elvidge. There was a girl (maybe two) who lived on the other corner, directly across from Elvidge, but I can’t remember the name. Could this be Renee?

I think there was also a girl who lived next to Oullettes on the other side. Across from Egers, not Miles. She was younger than me though so I didn’t pay any attention. Could this be Renee?

The name Dennis Huard sounds familiar, but I can’t attach a face to it right now.

We lived just east of L.A. in California. When we first moved there we lived with my grandparents in Pomona while our house was being built in Claremont. So I attended Pomona High in my junior year and Claremont in my senior. The transition was not easy since Pomona and Claremont were fierce rivals. Sort of like transferring between Denby and Pershing. In those days Pomona and Claremont were still small towns and didn’t have mid-year graduations. So I had to repeat the first half of the 11th grade at Pomona. At least I got good grades the first semester since I had already taken the courses at Denby.

When I graduated I went off to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT but after about 2 ½ years there I realized I was not suited to a military career. While I was at the Academy my parents had moved back to Michigan (St. Clair Shores) so I transferred to Alma College (Alma, MI). And I have been back in Michigan ever since. Now I’m in Rochester Hills, a few miles from Bloomer State Park. Except it’s not a state park anymore. Rochester Hills owns it now.

(Message edited by Olddetroiter on April 17, 2008)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a safety patrol boy at Columbus for awhile. After paying my dues at Mapleridge and Morang for a couple years I got the coveted prime corner at Mapleridge and Brock with Jerry Sowerby. After about a year there I quit, figuring I was getting too old for such kid stuff. From then on I pretty much ignored whatever the patrol boys told me to do. One day I crossed the street after one of them told me not to, and the little brat reported me. Mrs. Playa (spelling?) called me out of class and gave me this long lecture about how I should respect and obey the patrol boys, especially since I had been one. Even though the kid was smaller than me I didn't retaliate because Mrs. Playa was bigger than me (not physically, but she had the power). :-)

Before the Internet, sports occupied most of my time. In my younger days the winter sport was dodge ball in the Columbus gym after school, making sure to get home in time for Howdy Doody. There was also an ice skating pond in the field between Charity Lutheran Church and Denby. This was before the driver's training course built. As I got older it was touch football on Salter between Mapleridge and Spring Garden. But those stupid cars kept coming through and interrupting the game. Also by that time there was the skating rink at Heilmann, but that's not what I would call a strenuous sport. (As an aside our cub pack 309 was at the dedication of Heilmann Park when it opened. This was before there was a 706 cub pack. I got Spike Briggs' autograph there, but it's long since gone to that big dumpster in the sky.)

In the summer it was baseball all day, every day, except when the pool was open at Denby. In my younger days it was mostly on the Columbus playground. As we got older we all tended to gather at Denby. We would set up a diamond either on the football field or in the space next to Grayton between the parking lot and the varsity diamond. Don Pollard, Jim Morche, Tony Nowak and many others from the surrounding neighborhood were always there. There was never any problem getting enough for two teams. Pollard had a swing like a golfer. He would connect with the low pitches and drive them far over the fence. Tony Nowak hit fly balls so high you would think they were never going to come down

(Message edited by Olddetroiter on April 17, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD... From 8th grade on... when I moved to Mapleridge we played Back yard Hockey 14 months a year.....and some football on Mapleridge between salter and morang....

I knew Rudy Morche (younger bro of Jim)....

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 356
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Olddetroiter: It's great to read your stories. I did attend Columbus for K only (Ms. Herzog) remember that big bay window with the bench on the southeast corner of the school in front, the wood floors, the piano, sandbox etc. Attended Denby only for driver's ed., typing, swimming and carousing around on Duchess. I did work as a life guard for a while at Denby pool. It was a lot of fun opening and closing the divided pool.
You jogged my memory regarding skating at the Charity Lutheran Lot and skating. I believe even when the drivers training course was there the field by the church would still get flooded and provide a natural rink (circa 60s). never skated there but do recall that particular winter scene. You mentioned you were at Heilmann during the dedication. I believe it was in 1952 (according to the flag pole). What was the park like? Who was at the dedication (Harry Heilmann?) Was there a pool there at the time? a nike missile site? a rink? What, if any playground equipment existed at that time. If you wouldn't mind you could also visit the Heilmann Revisited thread. I lived on Eastwood between Morang and Kelly (ES61 lived on the same block but at a different time)
Thanks

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 20, 2008)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Wow! Was it really 1952? I would have been eleven and a boy scout (706) then. I remember so little of it that I just assumed it was earlier when I was a cub scout. I didn’t do drugs during the ‘60s, and still I can’t remember anything. Maybe I need professional help. (ES: do you take pro bono cases?)

The main thing I remember is we spent most of our time messing around on the baseball field while a bunch of local politicians and celebrities who I didn’t know gave speeches on a platform. That and getting Spike Briggs’ autograph and some local politician I never heard of. I think Harry was there, but I can’t be sure. Sorry I can’t be a better informant.

GB: You would have been in 706 in 1952. Do you remember anything about this?

I’ll definitely check out the Heilmann Revisited thread, but it may be a little while. I’m still trying to get caught up on all the old Denby and TARs threads posts.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I managed to clear out a few more faint memories of the Heilmann dedication from my cranial trash bin since yesterday’s post.

I remember a high anticipation of attending with expectations of gathering ‘tons’ of famous people’s autographs. I even made an autograph book, didn’t have one before then. We were in our scout uniforms for the ceremonies. After we did our part (not sure what – probably color guard or something) we were relegated to the audience. I don’t remember a big audience or any chairs to sit in. There might have been a few in front, but not where I was in the back. As young boys will do, a few of us soon became bored by the speeches and drifted away to pursue other interests.

The other thing I remember is that as soon as the ceremonies were over most of the dignitaries departed faster than Kwame pursued by Steve Wilson. That’s why I only managed to get two autographs. So basically, it was probably about the same as hundreds of other new park dedications.

I hope you weren’t expecting more KR. As for me, I need a shrink. I’m guessing the disappointment crushed my fragile adolescent psyche, causing me to suppress the memories for all these decades.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here’s a couple more names from Denby some of you might recognize.

Mike Rouls – Worked with Mike in IT at the GM Tech Center in the ‘80s. Lost track of him, but recently received an Email saying he was working at Home Depot in Sterling Heights three days a week to pickup spending money and to get the discounts for all his wife’s renovation projects. Have to drive down there some time to say hello and maybe give him my fertilizer business.

Gerry LaBuhn – (This one is somewhat sad). We used to attend the same church. Gerry received an early retirement from GM in the ‘90s. He and Marion moved to a high-rise ocean front condo on Singer Island, Florida. A few years later a hurricane trashed the condo. Building still standing but insides are trashed. Last I knew the condo hadn’t been repaired yet, and they were living in rented digs. About a year ago saw an obituary in local paper for one of his sons. Entered condolences on the funeral home’s web site and sent a card to his last know address, but haven’t heard back.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been over at Eastwood because nobody is posting here, but I'm baaaak!
From the Northeast Detroiter - December, 1953

Per the caption beneath the picture…

Junior and Senior Glee Clubs of Columbus School combined their 80 voices in joyous Christmas carols at the P-TA meeting last week. Above, members of the senior group render a selection as part of the program. They include-front row, left to right: Carole Webb, Janet Hittenberger, Ann Gruich, Eugenia Peronek, Judy Wendler, Jerry Lesniak, Bob Reitz. Janet Ferguson, Judy Smith, Carol Webert, Terry Neil; center row: Judy Enrich, Ruth Myers, Susan Olson, Carl Bergeson, Janice Nelson, Carol McLaughlin, Diann McKay, Sharon Donahue, Jerry Hess, Douglas Kuffert; back row: Connie Terner, Nancy Biiatta, Grace Monroe, Barbara Fedon, Barbara Fenton, Noreen Winkler, Barbara Groves, Pat Carpenter, Karl Streibel and Lynn Lawes.

Familiar names to many of us. Sorry about the picture quality. It's the best I could do given the restrictions of the forum software.

Goblue

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Just back from a trip to South Carolina...will take the time to read your posts but I gotta believe that we were in the same class at Columbus...are you in this pic?
1955 January

Goblue

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I'll try to catch up on your posts...Dale Robinson is alive...he lives in Bloomfield Hills...I think he's retired now...he was an audiology professor at Wayne State. Jim Morche was a clinical psychologist...I think he's retired now and might have moved upstate. Dennis Trombley was a senior officer in the DFD...he's retired and spends winters in FL. I heard that Don Pollard lives in CA. No...I wasn't in the Woodlands Patrol...I was in the Iroquois...I don't remember a trip to the Grosse Isle Naval Air Station but breaking up the marching pattern sounds like something I might have done. Were you on the Mackinac trip when we were the honor guard for a week on the island? Hell, EVERY guy in our 8th grade class had a crush on Sharon Donahue! ES failed to indicate how well he "knew" the younger Hennick sister...he "knew" her well! Gervin King and his father were killed in a car crash within a couple of years after we graduated from Denby...I think he was home on leave from the Air Force. Noel was a cop...his partner was killed in a shootout...he killed himself a year or two after that. Lynn Laws-Finkbeiner died of cancer in the early 70's. Personally, I think Renee is a figment of ES's Haight-Ashbury memories. The Kordich sisters lived on Mapleridge...I think maybe across from Dennis Elvidge...I worked with the oldest, Diane, in the 60's...the last I knew she was an art professor at Northern Michigan.

More later.

(Message edited by GoBlue on April 23, 2008)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I think so, but not sure. It’s always easier to remember what others looked like than what I did. Guess I had an idealized view of myself. I think I'm 4th from the right in the 3rd row with my head down. If that’s so, then I really grew a lot since the chorus picture. I was the little squirt in the middle of the first row there. Is this our Columbus 8th grade picture? Is that you 2nd from left in the top row?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Great news about Dale. All these years I thought he was dead. Maybe the guy who told me got him confused with Noel???

Goblue

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Yup...I'm 2nd from left in the top row. 4th from right in 3rd row is Jim Morche. In an earlier post you mentioned Billy Champine...we were good buddies in 706...he was hit by a car while on his bike in the UP...we must have been about 15...later he was in the Air Force but ended up with some kind of disability...I think he had ten sisters and a couple of brothers...one of the girls was killed in a car crash.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: If that’s the 8th grade picture, I’m there somewhere but I don’t recognize myself. In a way I’m glad to find out that was Morche. I couldn’t imagine I had grown that much. Morche was bigger than me.

I remember Billy Champine had a big family, but didn’t know it was that big.

Maybe it was just one of my imaginary worlds when I was in the Woodsman patrol. I seem to remember a patrol meeting at your house in your bedroom where you read your sister’s love letters to us.

I remember you posted your Email address in one of the old threads. If you don’t mind could you post it again? I write you and we can find out who we really are. I’d post mine, but it’s too close to my name.

Maybe you can tell me who ES61 is too. I still haven’t figured that out.

Goblue

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: ew310@cableone.net. ES has been in the closet for decades...do you remember the cheerleader for Denby...I don't mean Sandy Reynolds...anyway...ES is ES...but I'll out him privately.

Wow...that story about my sister's letters rings a bell.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Cheerleaders? To wild for me. Actually, I was somewhat timid in those days which stunted my social life to a degree. It probably didn't help that I missed the best two years by leaving the state. On the other hand, leaving may have saved me from falling under the influence of some really bad characters.

Sister's letters - I bet you read them to all the guys.

Goblue

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Howie aka ES61 wild? Oh yeah, he was a wild one all right! Too bad you left the state...the good times started about that time.

Goblue

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I just went back over the list you provided...and the picture...you're the only one missing...you must have skipped school that day!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just my luck. Only had 4 skips all year. Couldn't stay away from Sharon Donahue more than a day.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Does this bring back memories? No longer a state park, it is owned by the city now. It is within biking distance from my home (when I get up the ambition). Too close to earn a cycling merit badge.

http://www.rochesterhills.org/ city_services/parks/parks/bloo mer_park.asp