Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you try posting it on Facebook? You can post larger .jpg files over there.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ Calendar Aug 31 1958 is now on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/album. php?aid=2662&l=eed6a&id=119300 7340

7andkelly

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, Appreciate your presence here and any contributions you make. In some ways a puzzle is being pieced together a little at a time. I registered in facebook with the name SJnostalgia, so SJnostalia equals 7andkelly.

That email address still exists and if anyone wants a pdf version of the 1958 Calendar and/or the 1965 one, just send me a request to that address. I don't check it everyday, so be patient.

Jcole

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, how did you come to have a copy of the 1958 church paper? Was your baptismal notice in there, by any chance?
I don't give up easily. You will be found out.

7andkelly

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: You think like a detective! And I have no doubt if I'm found out it will be your work. If you do though, just let me know by email, and not here.

There may be an unpaid tab from Jay's Paper Station, or some old girl friend, or some disgruntled poster on one of the sports forums who I would just as soon not run into!
That said, you most likely don't know me, so it wouldn't be any great revelation.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K. If you don't mind, please send me the downloaded 58 Calendar file. I'll do my best to copy/edit to a readable size for this format. Thanks so much for your contributions.

Kellyroad67@yahoo.com

Eastburn: Thanks for the northern boundary info...had a feeling you'd know.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently I served the 10:30 mass on Sunday 9/7/58. Funny, I don't remember it. But then, I don't remember what I had for breakfast today. I think it is indicative of my high status in the parish that I was serving the HIGH mass. That, of course, along with being on the puke squad.
Makes me wonder when we were promoted out of serving Mass since I'd graduated in June. Anyone remember when we were drummed out of the altar boys for being too old?

7andkelly

Post Number: 300
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks KR. You do seem to have a knack for displaying pictures on this forum despite the size limits. If you can do your magic with this that will be great!

7andkelly

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a guy well into his 70's who serves at a weekday morning Mass! He lights the candles, holds the Sacramentary...all that.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Another request if you don't mind. Could you rescan the 58 Calendar. I've done a file and print preview at 150% in the facebook copy and it appears there is some blurring. It could be that the copy was moved slightly or not completely flat when scanned. Again, thanks for all your efforts.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: I seem to recall that we were no longer Knight of the Altar after St. Jude School graduation...at least that's how I recall for 1967. There seemed to be many kids that wanted to serve at that time.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 7&K for the bulletin. I tried to make "friends" on the facebook page. Not really sure how that works, so if anyone gets an anonymous request to be friends, it's probably me. There must be some benefit to sharing pictures, etc., by making that connection? Nothing like all learning together! ;-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I see where the FB pictures are a little blurry. I had to upload them using the FB provided "simple" method since their active x's were not loading. I believe this may have degraded my 1MB+ jpg's I created when I extracted pages one by one out of the pdf.

I sent the pdf to the yahoo email address you gave. This file is much more readable. The pages were painstakingly scanned at max res using Adobe Acrobat Professional.

If you need the pdf resent, or if you want the six originally extracted jpg's just request them by email to SJnostalia@yahoo.com.

And actually the 6 jpg's don't look bad to me either. They're all over 1MB in size. So take a look at the pdf.

Like Cfg, Z, Jc, EB and others, I'm just learning some of this stuff.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on April 30, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Thanks again for all your efforts. We are all learning together. Give me a couple of days to get this together. From what I can tell there are some interesting differences in the parish operation in 1958 and 1965. More later

Eastburn

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - That's how I remember it so was surprised to see that I, along with several of my classmates, were still serving in August after graduating in June. Didn't recall that we served so often either. That week I served the Sunday high Mass along with a weekday Mass and benediction. Must have been the good pay. I did get into the communion wine occasionally.

Eastburn

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - That's how I remember it so was surprised to see that I, along with several of my classmates, were still serving in August after graduating in June. Didn't recall that we served so often either. That week I served the Sunday high Mass along with a weekday Mass and benediction. Must have been the good pay. I did get into the communion wine occasionally.

Jcole

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they didn't recruit the new crop of servers until the beginning of the school year, and you were official until you started 9th grade.

Jcole

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, if I suss it out, I won't post it, promise.

7andkelly

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the families were likely gone on vacation for the last full week before Labor Day and the start of the new school year.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sniff, Sniff, WHEW! Anyone have a clothespin? Keep (cough, cough) it up JC.

Jcole

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We shall prevail, even if my neighbors all move away.

7andkelly

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers and Pistons and Redwings; oh my!

Red Wing Flag outside? Check.
Jersey? Check.
Cap? Check.
Pizza delivery on speed dial? Check.
New batteries in remotes? Check.
Fabreeze? Check.

Zitro

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the bobbleheads, I talk to them in between innings, periods, quarters. LMAO

Zitro

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to show you there's no place safe to live anymore.

April 28: Justine Merriam, of West First Street Ext., Boone, reported a purple concrete unicorn valued at $85 was stolen from their yard.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: I seem to recall that the Altar Boys underwent training in the 6th grade and started serving in late 6th grade, during the summer and early 7th grade. I believe the order of 1st assignments were determined by alphabetical order. According to the July 65 Calendar I noticed the altar boys who just finished training were assigned (the E-F). The new altar boys most likely were phased in along with experienced altar boys like yourself. I also seem to recall that even later I was assigned often with fellow altar boys with the same first letter as my last name. Again this was in 1965 thru 1967. It seemed that the top altar boys were assigned the 10:30 high mass. You must have known your latin.
Between masses, benediction, funerals, stations of the cross and weddings. there were enough assignments to go around. I noticed in the 58 Calendar that there were no masses in the lower church. Given the fact that the parish population in 58 was probably at its peak, the few masses in the upper church must have been jammed packed!

Eastburn

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I'm not sure the lower church was open yet. In fact we might not have even been upstairs by August '58. The church wasn't ready when we graduated that June. We were still using the gym as the church.
As far as partners, I'm not sure if Mike & I were assigned together or that was our idea.
I guess my Latin was pretty good. I went from SJS to Divine Heart Seminary in Donaldson, IN for 2 1/2 years. The circumstances of my leaving there for NDHS is another story.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: Did you every serve in the upper church? As far as the gym was concerned, I recall viewing home movies where the altar was located in the stage area and the baptismal font located in the north west corner near the school. Did the choir use the balcony in the gym as the choir loft?
Perhaps sometime you can detail the seminary to NDHS story....sounds like great SJ nostalgia

Eastburn

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I had never served in the new church but after reading the parish history on the SJS website & seeing that the upper church was opened in 1959, my memory was jogged. I did serve in the lower church but not the upper. Yes, the balcony was the choir loft in the old church (gym).
Not that much of a story - the Fr. Superior called me in in the middle of my junior year of seminary & told me that it would be better for me - and for the school - if I were to leave. Guess I was somewhat of a discipline problem. I had a nun in 7th grade, Sr. Rose Genevieve, who recruited heavily for Divine Heart. Her nephew was a little short of ordination in the Priests of the Sacred Heart. Never regretted going. The seminary was a great experience.

7andkelly

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB/KR: Now that's what I'm talking about. Stories about Mass in the gym, the choir in the balcony, the location of the Baptismal font, altar on the stage, first church Masses in the basement...

Questions:

Were there pews in the gym and/or the gym balcony?

From my memory, chairs were stored under the stage using long rolling carts. Was this to store chairs for the gym Masses, or were they just thinking ahead when the gym building was built that it's future use would be as a gym/auditorium?

Is the font in the church the same original gym font, or did they upgrade?

If pews were in the gym, were they relocated to the church, and if so, did they go to the upper or lower church?

There are two big rooms in the back of the balcony that were used as classrooms. Were these rooms originally intended for another purpose such as offices or meeting rooms?

And EB, do you have any memory of the tunnel(s)?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: from my recollection of photos the actual stage was not built until after the church moved into the permanent structure. The stage with the the underneath storage area for folding tables and chairs came later. Maybe Eastburn can tell use if the kitchen in the gym came later after the church became a gym. I do recall however that the altar and communion in the lower church was originally on the main altar in the upper church when it first opened in 56 (see previous post/pictures from virtual city wsu). I believe the gym when it was a church actually had pews. Remember the lower church had the wooden red padded chairs with kneelers. Still, What is amazing, given the size of the gym/church and the population of the parish in the late 50s, that there could be enough room to accomodate so many with fewer scheduled masses. How was that done EB?

EB: Also, do your recall seeing any of the soldiers from the Heilmann Nike Missile site attending Mass in early to mid 50s?