Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through April 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6384
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who amongst Denby gave the proper blessing for the Kosher wine? Without the blessings, no Goyim can possibly drink it proper.

jjaba, ROTFLMJAO.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: Thanks for the site...it looks like folks from several years have posted on it.

Jjaba: So wine needs blessing now? Whadamean can't drink it proper...ya screw off the cap and tip your head and the bottle and slug it down...what's so difficult?

Jjaba

Post Number: 6389
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue, are you talking about Ripple, Gallo, and Thunderbird or Kosher wine with proper ritual use?
Apples and oranges.

Here we go again, East-West cultural divides.
Detroit City, just one, but of many parts.

Remember the ring on the church says, "Goyim, Goyim, Goyim.
jjaba, Westsider, LOL.

Goblue

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: I dated a Greek girl once...does that count? Ripple, Boone's Farm, Thunderbird...the cheapest was the best...actually, in those days I didn't drink much wine...Stroh's was the nectar of the Gods.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6392
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For wine, there's a Brachah. For the Goyim, beer.
Eastside-Westside, cultural divide.

jjaba.

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldedetoiter- Amazing but my counselor was Charles Shires in 1941-45 Could it be the same? I remember him telling me"Just wait till your 15 when I can kick you out of here" When I was Associate Dean at WSU School of Med I thought of trying to find him.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: What’s the proper blessing for a Best’s Kosher hotdog? Don’t want any curses on my picnic.

BR: Probably, unless he was already pretty old when you had him. I started with him in ’55 and his hair pretty was gray by then. His academic mission seemed to be to get you out of his office asap.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6393
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill_rush, that's called "reverse psychology." He motivated the hell out of you. Everybody's got some kinda memories like that. Great post #28.

Olddetroiter, jjaba has said some special prayers for you, Gut essen.

jjaba, Honorary Denby, Cass Tech., '59.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Miss Cash who taught literature at Denby? If memory serves (and it hasn't always done so recently), she might be Sexy Grandma.

Jjaba: Thanks, now I can eat my dogs in peace.

Goblue

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I remember Miss Cash...but there wasn't anything sexy about her...she was just a little old lady. There was however, a real fox who taught typing in high heels named Marion Johnson...lots of erotic fifteen year old fantasies about her!

BillR: It has to be the same guy...there was a Charles Shires who was a counselor '55-'59. I had a similar experience with an asst. principal named Diekoff...he shook his finger in my face and told me that I'd never be anything but a bum...he didn't know how close he came to losing that finger. When I finished my doc in '72 I thought about going to look for the SOB to tell him that it was DR. Bum...but he had died.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You're right, she wasn't sexy. That was the parody. If Miss Cash is the one I'm think of she always used to wear these tight sweaters as if she was 20 years younger.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6397
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue, reverse psychology. There were school personnel on the Westside like that too. They must have been trained in it on those in-service days when our parents had to arrange for babysitters. Plenty of kids around here went to college also.

Ofcourse, all of Cass Tech. went to college.
Well, almost all, unless your family owned a Chinese restaurant or a factory.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Goblue

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Cass Tech kids went directly to college? Are you sure? I didn't know that! I thought CT was a voc ed school...for ink stained wretches and the like.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6398
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba mentioned the Chinese restaurants because Chinatown kids went to Cass Tech. as a neighborhood downtown HS. Denby might not have known that. (Sociology of Cass Tech., 1950s.)

Vocational education and Cass Technical HS are two different emphasis. Wilbur Wright, Chadsey,
Murray HS, High School of Commerce, had more of a vocational orientation to them.

You do observe correctly that Printing Dept. students are always smelling of ink and the pressroom. That's why when you saw us in chemistry class, we were the ones with our sleeves rolled up and without a tie. You wear a tie while driving a printing press and your job will end up printed on your head. Now that makes a lousy impression.

jjaba dated a printers daughter; he made a lousy impression and she wasn't his type.

jjaba, Cass Tech. Class of '59.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Maybe you were a font to her father??

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who remembers the lifesaving courses at the Jackson pool? Every so often the 'victim' would get ahold of a student lifesaver and hold him underwater until he almost drowned. The rest of us got a big kick out of. He got me once, but I escaped and swam to the side of the pool underwater. When I surfaced he was looking all around. I think he thought I was somewhere at the bottom of the pool. One of the Boy Scout instructors was a really, really old guy. At least we thought he was old at the time. I'm probably older now than he was then.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Where are you? Hope Mr. H hasn't finally caught up with you.... Your brother's name sounds familiar, but I can't place a face to it. Was he in any sports at Denby?

Goblue

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: ES disappears every once in awhile...he was last seen at Haight-Ashbury last week...long hair (actually a wig), mustache (pasted on), tie-died t-shirt, sandals, flashing the peace sign at tourists....he'll get in touch with reality again one of these days.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB -OD and J-CT.... I have been Sailing the Chesapeake with Sandy R. Sandy H, Sheila F and Lois G......a great week. Good to see that you all continue to lie and tell untrue stories....

ES61 - Cass Tech Outreach program....

Goblue

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah...and all the other great lies of the Western World!

GB: Jjaba's support system.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES used to sail in the SF Bay, but it brought back bad memories of his time in residence on a nearby island.

Goblue

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Gee...doyathink that perhaps ES is one of the only three guys to escape and that he lived to tell about it...only a TAR could do it!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: No, I think they just lost track of him when they closed the place down.

Goblue

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know...when I visited the place several years ago...I thought I saw a strange guy skulking around the shadows...you don't suppose? I know that ES claims to be a psychologist in SJ...but...ya gotta wonder.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Did you say "be a psychologist" or "needs a psychologist"? Maybe instead of "lost track of him" I should have said "forgot about him." I understand that SH forgot about him too after their first date and had to be 'refreshed' on every date.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old D and Father Wolverine: I think I will make the CSI investigative seminar in LA in June ... anything or anyone you want to know about just post it here with me.... The closest Father W (GB) ever got to the "H" sisters on Parkgrove was parking his white convert a Dennis E. house on Salter.

You two clowns look great in bright orange when you are working off your DUI's .... cleaning trash along major highways.

ES61 "Only the Shadow KNOWS"

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: When you get to LA hop on the San Bernadino Freeway and head for Claremont. There used to be a Mexican restaurant in the old High School Building at the corner of Foothill and Indian Hill. It was in the area that used to be the library. Thx. (In case you forgot, libraries are those big rooms where they keep books.)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Oldest attended CGU for her doctorate....I know the Indian Hills and Foothill area......

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Great. The old schoolhouse is where I finally graduated from high school after they booted me out of Denby and Pomona. I recently heard from an old classmate that they removed the front steps and moved a CityBank in on the bottom floor. She said the CityBank sign in front looks dreadful. Don't take any pictures for me. I don't think I want to see it.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Warning! When you’re in LA stay away from the beaches. Just came across a story in the LA Times about an addled old beach bimbo living under the Santa Monica pier …. freckles, gray hair with just a tinge of red. She spends the nights roaming the beach crying. “Take me ES, take me.” Very scary. Some days she wanders the mall pushing her shopping cart and babbling something about hot nights and a big hill. The cart has a little plaque on the side with the letters SH. Warning, stay away!