Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would usually be strawberry-rhubarb. Straight Rhubarb would be very tart, and, there is part of the rhubarb plant which is poisonous. I think it's the leaves. Which Blake's do you go to? Armada or Almont?

(Message edited by jcole on April 28, 2008)

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that you mention it, I have seen the strawberry rhubarb version, but not the one with rhubarb only.

You have a Blake's?! The one we go to is east of Romeo Plank on the N side of I believe Armada Center Rd, a little ways SW of another one of our favorites, Coon Creek. There is yet another on on North Avenue somewhere between 26 and 32 Mile Rd. We've also been to Hy's off of 37 W of Van Dyke. That one's okay as long as you don't get stopped and held hostage by two dogs from a neighboring farm house.

Jcole

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was friends with the Hy's family in my senior year of high school up here, and used to clean house for Mrs. Ruby Goldstein. Her son Jim still runs the business. Best cider anywhere around. You can get it at a number of grocery stores in the area.
We have a small Blake's (no cider mill) just produce, plants, trees and the sundry products, like jams and jellies.
They always have some of the earliest HoneyCrisp apples in the area. The best apple in the world, bar none.

7andkelly

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about having friends in Hy places!

We finally made it to the cider mill after getting stopped and held hostage by these two vicious dogs. First they stood out in the middle the road forcing us to stop. Then one of them came paws up on the drivers door window as I was scurrying to close it after yelling at them to move. I tried to back up a bit, but the roving dog blocked our way again. At first it was annoying, but soon it became comical. Eventually, someone from their house called them off. We did buy some cider though...good stuff!

(Message edited by 7andkelly on April 29, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 409
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruby was a law unto herself. She is legend.
I've never run into the dogs out there, but I did almost have a deer land on the hood of my car as it was leaping fences through the fields.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good night going so far. Tigs are up 4 and the Stones look like they are in control. JC: it's okay to spray some Fabreeze on those socks so their tolerable to others

Jcole

Post Number: 410
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww, do I have to? I'm beginning to enjoy the attention.

Zitro

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your choice I guess, I'm far enough away not to be affected. Although the farmers are starting to turn their fields over and the air can get a little ripe around here.

Jcole

Post Number: 411
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the same smell. It's funny how you can begin to tell what kind of manure it is just by the smell.
My younger daughter works in Industrial Relations for Horizon Organic, and she has developed a fondness for the smell of cow manure.
Now, back to my socks....

Zitro

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's far worser when I'm on my motorcycle it's hard to escape. Yes back your socks, remember the Wings are on late so no early removal

7andkelly

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lost Tigs feed...relying on Gamechannel

Rapada is a keeper.

Danielson is annoying me so far.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wings win! Pistons win! Tigers win! Don't get those socks anywhere near a washing machine.

7andkelly

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stayed up to watch the final seconds tick off the clock at the PepC.

I agree w/ OD. Jc: Put those things in a sealed mason jar until game times. If you used Fabreeze last night, feel free to use it again, and let me know because my Red Wings jersey could use a little something. And it doesn't help these games are all going down to the final seconds, if you know what I mean.

Zitro

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing when the Yankees win it's the lead on SC, when they lose it's buried and treated fairly insignificant. The Stones are finally playing like they should and the Wings are relentless. Now all we need is for Sheffield to slip into a coma and things would be cool. He's still not out of it despite the HR.

JC: I promise if the Tigers win it all this year I'll personally transport those socks to Cooperstown and have them put on display next to Shilling's bloody one.

7andkelly

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not just ESPN.

Foxsports: "Yankees send A-Rod to DL; Lose to Tigers" Yeah, we were lucky to beat them only because A-Rod was hurt.

In Detroit we have to over pay to get players and we have to dazzle in our wins to get any attention at all.

Zitro

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, CBS Sports same thing.

Yanks place A-Rod on 15 day DL. Fall to Tigers.

Zitro

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'll stream into WXYT maybe they'll be giving our teams some dap

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: You better start working some more socks now. The Lions season will be upon us before we know it. It will take much more than one pair for them.

Zitro

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MUCH more!

7andkelly

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't count on XYT. They are in a PDS.

With that team, the only slim glimmer of hope is during the off season.

Zitro

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do get a chortle or two when Valenti goes off on the Loins though.

Jcole

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the Lions, I'll have to break out the lucky pantyhose. Socks just ain't gonna do it.

Zitro

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Lets stay focused here. Forget about the Loins (not a misspelling) they're a lost cause. You need to be transmitting that good karma through those socks for the Tigers so they can see this through.

Jcole

Post Number: 417
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will continue transmitting good vibes for as long as it takes.
Football can wait til fall.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like in that great movie "Bull Durham"...maybe the Tigers need to start wearing garter belts and/or breathing through their eyes.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 538
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump-thread jack. eastwood memories?

Jcole

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps there are other things in Bull Durham that the Tigers might need.

Goblue

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bull Durham is a GREAT Eastwood-Heilmann-N.E. Detroit topic...we (at least the guys...sorry Jcole) all fantasized about garter belts, pool halls and hitting one out of the park.

Jcole

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, don't apologize, I got to fantasize about Kevin Costner and the toenail painting scene.
Garter belts be damned.
I just watched it again last week.

Goblue

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Well now, I wouldn't exactly say "garter belts be damned"...I mean...some fantasies are alive and well...lol! That toenail scene was hot! All a part of growing up on the Northeast side...ES and OD continue to live in their sad fantasy world of hoping to "score".

(Message edited by GoBlue on April 30, 2008)