Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through April 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waitaminnit! SJ was no "fix up prom date"...that's more of ES's bs...she was a classy girl with a great body...we had a great time...even after the car "ran out of gas" in the Ballduck parking lot...unfortunately we lost track after I headed to WMU. ES on the other had keeps ranting and raving about Sheila somebody or other...or Renee whashername...his wife has to be a saint!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, I got my MIS degree in 1999 (world's oldest graduate from OU)with assurances that this was THE way to go. I do love computers, and I used MIS to work my way into Tech support, building and repair, and Novell and MS network. No interest in programming or system engineering. I found a job about three months out of school. After about 5 yrs, TransUnion decided Detroit was not for them. At about that time, my chosen field moved to a field in India. I've picked up the odd (and I do mean odd) job here and there, and am now trying freelance/contract work. So far, it's not all it's cracked up to be.
As to EDS, from stories I had heard, that would be one of the last places I would want to work, at least now. I've heard horror stories of the way they treat their employees, and their hiring practices leave something to be desired. I'm still hoping for some kind of success, but I'd settle for a small amount at this point.
Not whining, just stating facts.

Jcole

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least this allows me to spend time on this site with all you lovely people.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Job moved to India? Don’t they all? “Hello, this is Rasheed in customer support. May I help you?”

EDS last place you would want to work? It’s NO place I would want to work (anymore). Actually it was pretty exciting right after the GM transition. But eventually all the good parts were replaced by the worst of both GM and EDS. Couldn’t wait to get out.

Glad to see you got your degree from OU. I worked there in the Computer Center from ’66 to ’76.

Jcole

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've tried to get into the computer center at OU, but haven't had any luck so far, and I don't think they're really interested in a 50 something year old female, anyway. They like 'em young over there. College stuff, I guess.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got me started. Loading tapes, card stacks, forms, card sorting, autodin tapes, 300 baud transmissions into the wee hours, IBM 5100, APL programming, FOCUS, Altos/Wyse Unix boxes, networked together, gophering to sites like U of M Underground weather in early 90s, Mosaic, Win 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, WINNT, W2K, XP, DBASE, Paradox, ACCES, V Basic, ASP, ...

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going back to simper times, remember those Christmas wreaths we would make out of those used IBM punchcards?

Jcole

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weirdly enough, a lot of it sounds like fun.
I just had to set up a Kermit connection for someone two weeks ago. I thought that had gone the way of the dinosaur.
Like I said, I love hardware, and opsys/software setup and config, and training. Programming, on the other hand, leaves me cold. Had C++, and ended up looking like a deer in the headlights most of the time.

7andkelly

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the chads (along with the internet, another thing Al Gore gets credit for) from keypunch made great confetti.

Jcole

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, yeah, I do. Do you remember the Christmas tree doorstops made out of Reader's Digest? We folded the top over, and the bottom up and spray painted them green and then glittered them.
Also, do you remember the candles we made by melting parafin in a double boiler, adding crayon shaving and then pouring it over ice cubes packed into a milk carton?

Zitro

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the the doorstops but not the candles. I must have been sick that day.

7andkelly

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I used Kermit connections, and uucp which was tricky to set up, but effective.

Jcole

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, giving elementary age kids paraffin wax and an open flame was one of the smarter things that they did back then, but we did make cool candles. After you poured the wax over ice, the ice melted, leaving holes throughout the candle. It was kind of op-art looking.

Jcole

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other art project I just remembered was the bottles that we did a kind of papier-mache on using tissue paper and thinned glue. You covered the bottle with the tissue dipped in glue, and after it dried, you used it like an autograph book. You had your friends sign it with magic marker, and then we sealed them with some kind of shellac.

Zitro

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds cool, but that's one crack of time I'm having a hard time filling

Jcole

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I sucked at art. I couldn't draw a stick man with a ruler, and I flunked 4th grade art because I didn't understand perspective. My people were always bigger than their houses. So when it came to crafty stuff, I at least could keep up, so I remember it better than other stuff.

Zitro

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Center For Creative Studies for a couple of years for advertising illustration. I lost interest in it though. I was in the first class in the new building the one that looks like tinker toys. My mother was an artist so it kind of rubbed off

Jcole

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were you at the Center when RJ Laney was there? And I know this is a long shot, but I had another friend who went there named Joel Stone. He graduated from Austin with Sawick

Zitro

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. I was was there with Laney. Joel Stone doesn't ring a bell.

Jcole

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJ had a gallery over in Birmingham for a while, but it closed. Last I heard he was down Woodward somewhere else, either owning or running another gallery.
Haven't seen him in a few years, tho.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: It’s tough to get a job at a University when you have to compete with student labor. The dedicated ones will work 40 hours a day for coffee and bagels. I went back to the OU computer center last summer. Found some old documentation from my days there and gave it back to them for the OU 50th anniversary. Now instead of the big mainframes the computer room is filled with racks of Dell servers. My old office is now occupied by the son of some people we used to go to church with.

7K: I did my Bachelor’s thesis on an IBM 1620. On my first job with GM in 1964 I programmed IBM 1401s.

Zitro: Yes, punched cards on used pizza cardboard (round naturally). I even had a few punched cards in my desk with the OU sail to give to the computer center.

7K: Don’t be surprised if the chads fly again soon. Some of the replacements for the punched card voting systems still aren’t working correctly.

7andkelly

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pole worker: "Sir, go back to your booth; your chads are hanging. Fix them now or you'll be disenfranchised".

John Q voter: "Excuse me"?!

(Message edited by 7andkelly on April 24, 2008)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chads aren't the only things hanging on the FL grandma voters.

Goblue

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You can say that again...just think about what hangs loose on the west coast!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Do I have to? What hangs in SJ stays in SJ except when it goes sailing.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb-OD: Ship Ahoy Boys..... What happens in eastern Maryland ... Stays in eastern Maryland"
Sandy R. DHS '59

Goblue

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Is that where you got the nickname "Crabpot"? Its hard to think about SR being 66-67...depressing actually.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: She mentioned to me at the marina that she felt a strong bond with you..... She wanted to know what medical coverage you might have before she made her trip to AZ....? she felt that she could handle you and TAngo at the same time..... I would love to see that video!

Goblue

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I wouldn't exactly call it a "strong bond"...but...I am certain that it was memorable for her!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Dream on brother! She just wants to be closer to Tango... Tango knows how to perform and you 59ers need to be on your meds to get it going as they say! whoever "they" are.....