Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 down 1 to go. Just enough time to switch jerseys for the Wings

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least the Wings start at 9pm for you. Keep 'em going for the rest of the fans. I have to go replace a processor in one of my PC's and rebuild another, so I may be tied up for a while, but I'll wear my socks and keep my clothes pin on my nose.

Zitro

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Everyone likes their own brand"-Fat Bastard

Jcole

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 to 2
Woo-hoo!

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The series ain't over till the last handshake. I stayed up too!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You folks are really straining the old brain here. Yep, there were pews in the old church. The stage was built after the move to the lower church. I remember stacking folding chairs on carts & shoving them under the stage. Seemed it was set up for just that purpose. Seems we had a lot of masses. Don't recall ever seeing soldiers from the Nike base in uniform at mass. That's what we called the base at Heilmann since they had Nike anti aircraft missiles. Do remember sometimes talking to the soldiers on guard duty through the fence. During the Korean war we were all blood typed & given little plastic tags to wear around our necks on chains. The tags were said to be able to withstand 1000s of degrees heat. Comforting that our remains could still be identified after a nuclear attack. We had air raid drills where we would either get under our desks or hunker down along the outer walls below the window line. That was sure going to save us from those nukes.
Speaking of desks, in 3rd grade I was in a very small classroom with ancient desks that each held 2 kids.
More later. It's grandparents day at Holy Family (Rochester). We're down here in "the city" as we Huron County folks say for the event.

Zitro

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't hang through the whole Wings game. Once I saw it was well under control in the 2nd period it was lights out. Another 3 for 3 night. JC just stand those socks over in the corner, but don't let them get too far out of sight.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the sports fans in the crowd - when baseball was played in a REAL BALLYARD in Detroit and not an amusement park!
TS Tickets and DSR Transfer

Jcole

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, watch out, or Zitro might try to get those ticket stubs from you.

Jcole

Post Number: 432
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only reason I was still up to get the Wings score was that I was in the middle of a serious computer revamp. It took til 2am, but I'm back in business now.
My socks are now to the point that I just put them down and point to the corner and they walk there themselves.

(Message edited by jcole on May 02, 2008)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a million of 'em! I think that from the mid to late 70's, I just about lived at TS. 30-40 games per year - no season tickets - liked to sit all over the park. Made some great friends - and will never forget standing in the 3rd upper deck next to Ernie Harwell after the Tigs won the 84 WS.

Zitro

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cfg. $2.00 for a baseball game. As Ernie Harwell would say those days are "LOONG GONE"

Zitro

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I am frothing at at the mouth right now.

Jcole

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Over the ticket stubs, or the socks? :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, I think the ticket stubs thank you very much

Jcole

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went down to a number of games in the mid 70's, but i was a bleacher creature. I was in the middle of more beer fights than I care to count, and one time some guy was smoking up there, and this one Detroit cop who was always there came up. He took the kids weed, dumped it on the cement and did this hilarious dance on it. the guy was dying, but nothing he could do.
People used to smuggle flasks in there socks, underware, where ever they could find. It was fun, but really wild.

Zitro

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say anything about my eyes burning.

Jcole

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I just wanted clarification. At this point, the socks may not cause mouth-frothing, but they are definitely on that path. Walking it alone, I might add.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z- I'll see if I can find some stubs for you to share with your 300 bowler son! Send me your address via facepage and I'll see what I can do for Tigers memories for you!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since it is May, here a couple of pics from the 63 May Crowning. above Sr. Mary John (my 4th grade teacher)

Jcole

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you notice that this was before the uniform change? This is when we had to wear those nasty blue serge jumpers that got all shiny after a semester's wear. The big girls had the skirt and bolero look. I think I would have been in first grade here.
I never thought I'd say this, but the plaid looked positively stylish compared to these.
Notice how the boys got to wear any old thing. Hmmmm.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I had the concession on those clip on ties!......as soon as the 3:00 bell rang a yank and then a shove in the pocket.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: I guess I didn't read GQ enough to know what is fashionable, but I always did like the blue jumpers over the plaid skirts. Oh yes the boys wearing ties with a cardigan sweater was really chic for the day wasn't it? Do you recall having to get a permission slip from your parent to be allowed to wear a sweater over your uniform?

7andkelly

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Nice pictures once again.

Jc: I don't see any of the boys getting to wear a Robin cape like the one in the first picture.

Zitro

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: I appreciate the sentiment but if I add one more thing to my collection of stuff I think my house is going to tip over. It would take me years to catalog all of the tickets stubs, programs, yearbooks,magazines,books, figurines, autographed balls , bats, pics, wheaties boxes,newspapers, schedules.... am I giving a fairly clear picture that I'm a collecting junkie?

Jcole

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just talking to my older sister, Fran, and she reminded me of the name of the nun who always took off her belt and rosary before corporal punishment could occur. Does anyone remember Sr. Lyle Joseph? Apparently, there was one instance when all the boys on the blacktop would link arms and run through the girls, knocking them over. Sr. Lyle had enough, lined up the boys on the blacktop, took off the rosary and belt, walked down the line of boys and slapped each one in the face, then walked back up the line and gave the same treatment.
Boy, that would not happen today.

Jcole

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we did have to bring a note to wear a sweater. I also think you had to be sick.
I don't know how Yellow sweater in the picture got so lucky.

7andkelly

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see it's a sweater now, but If she was sick, and had a note to wear a sweater, then why isn't she wearing it properly? And don't tell me she has a right to bare arms.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7_and_Kelly_Kid: Do you recall when string ties were in vogue? and this was way before the country western craze....just as simple to use as a clip on. I didn't realize my mom was way ahead of the time. LOL and although penny loafers were the rage, black wingtips (even with white socks) were a fad. Remember the saying "Wing tips are cool"

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 02, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the right to arm bears.
Also I seem to remember someone talking about running around with his windbreaker snapped around his neck, without arms in sleeves, pretending to be Batman.
Was Robin the sweater wearer your partner, sir?