Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Again, who writes your material? (right to bare arms). The girl with the yellow sweater is Sheila Heinz. Sheila, if your out there in cyberspace, please explain to our other posters about the elegant coolness of wearing a yellow sweater on a mild May day while everyone else in the photos were mere conformists of dictated style. By the way this was a May Crowning procession and was outdoors, therefore the code of dress may have not applied as they did while school was in session OR maybe she did have a permission slip.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 02, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you remember actually wearing pennies in those loafers? I do. I was so not cool

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, she was ahead of her time since I didn't start at the school until 1964 and the TV series didn't start until 1966.

Sr. Mary John seems like she was a fun person. The kids are allowed to be looking this way and that, girls are out of uniform, she's smiling at the camera... I wish I had her for a teacher.

Jcole

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was May Crowning, so she was in a good mood. Didn't we usually have May Crowning on Sunday after mass? We had to wear our uniforms, and meet in the classrooms, but it was a little more laid back than a school day.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall having to wear your Sunday best for May crowning, the girls of course in their uniforms. The second graders wore what they wore on their 1st communion.

Sister Mary John, as Duck mentioned in an early post, was pretty progressive and politically intuitive but she didn't put up with any B&^%. refer to previous post of drawing donkey ears over a humiliated student.

Jcole

Post Number: 446
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at the picture, some of the girls are wearing Sunday hats (or Easter bonnets) but I don't see any Communion dresses. I think May crowning was heald the 1st Sunday of May, and 1st Communion was usually after that, so the girls wouldn't have been allowed to wear their dresses yet. It may be the 2nd graders in hats.

Jcole

Post Number: 447
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, sorry, my socks seem to have thought that last night was an off night for ALL the teams. I gave them a good talking to, and they are in the corner, sulking, but they promise to be ready for tonight.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 412
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above picture is of a 1963 (notice the portables in the background) May crowning. I could be wrong but from what I recall first communions were held on the 1st and 2nd Sundays in May. The May crownings were held on either the last or second from last Sunday in May. The second graders wore the same outfit they wore for their 1st communion. Does anyone have a recollection of this?

The other May crowning picture could have been taken prior to the 2nd graders arriving.

7andkelly

Post Number: 325
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think one of these girls is Meg Skrentnor from Fordham. From my recollection they had a nice larger lot next to the alley servicing the duplexes on Morang between Fordham and Eastwood.

As a little squirt, I think I got roped into twirling duties for a few rounds of "Hi ho jolly pepper... for her and her friends".

Jcole

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honestly don't remember, and will have to ask one of my more religious minded sisters when May Crowning took place. I always thought it was at the beginning of the month so we could honor her all through May, but that may have just been when we set up the altar.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above heading of the St. Jude Calendar shows volume VIII and was the 27th issue of 1958 which means the Calendar was in publication since 1950.

Apparently the women bowled at Chandler Lanes. I always thought it was at Fantasy Lanes

Jcole

Post Number: 449
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it changed to Fantasy later, because I remember my mom bowling at Fantasy. It was probably after 62 sometime, because I would have been 6, and remembering things better.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: I really do appreciate your postings...they're great to read...my total experience with Catholic girls was one Regina coed...thank God for weekly confession.

Jcole

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I know Regina coeds, you needed more than one weekly confession. Either that, or none at all.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could Regina girls really be called coeds?

7andkelly

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina is coed?! If I'd have known that, I would have gone there instead of Notre Dame. The walk to and from school would have been shorter, the food in the cafeteria could not have been worse, and of course, the scenery.

I would have gotten kicked out the first week though since I would not have been able to resist stealing one of those cool scooters the nuns used to drive. I would be like: "I'm late for class! Get out of my way! Crash!"

Jcole

Post Number: 452
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I guess technically, we were Reginites.
Although there were some students we wondered about, that could have made the appellation 'co-ed' at least rationally acceptable.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The beauty of her weekly confession was that we could pick up where we left off the previous Saturday night...except that she no longer felt sinfully guilty. I assumed that the term "coed" referred to a female student...not to the gender mix of the school.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 414
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Observations: Same phone number 50 years later.
The rectory, 15889 must have been set up next to the new church.

The question is wether or not the Sunday Masses were held in the gym or new church. Where were the baptisms held?
Notice 7 masses with very little time between masses. Parking must have been at a premium.

Below: Where was Ritz Bowlng?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the History section on the St. Jude website, the upper church was first used in May of 1957, so I assume that the Mass schedule alternated between upstairs and downstairs which had opened the previous year. I'm almost certain that the schedule was the same when I was in grade school in the sixties, and that's how they did it then.
As to baptisms, I think my parents told me that I was one of the first groups of babies to be baptised in the new church, which would have been spring of 1956, but I could be wrong on that.

7andkelly

Post Number: 327
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I'm guessing most of the Mass attendees walked to church, so parking would not have been as much of a problem. Most of the Moms I knew did not even drive in the 60s.

If this was pre-expansion and before the portables, more area would be available than now behind the convent on the Madelein side, plus the blacktop across the street. This brings up another thought. 1958 was likely before the expansion of 7 Mile so maybe we had more parking available over there, and possibly even directly in front of the church.

7andkelly

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work Watson! I do believe your theory is most plausible.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 417
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Observations: altar boy appt.

Ads for hardware stores and pharmacies long gone.

GB: Do you remember Bangs Drug Store on Kelly near Spring garden near Denby or De Ronne Hardware on Morang or Supreme Drugs right on Fordham and Hayes not to far from your home?

Jcole

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, our parish was so big, it seems like we all had different stores and restaurants that we frequented. I remember Polla's Grocery Store, Merit Drugs, Aldo's Pizza, Famous Pizza, Alinosi's, the Milk Depot and the Penny candy store, as well as Bidigare's and the Silver Dragon from when I was little. As I got older, my horizons expanded, and I discovered the Brock Party store, Vetare's, Great Scot Groceries, that bank on Kelly and Moross.
I know GB probably had his own set of places that his family called 'neighborhood'.
BTW, my brother lived not far from your 'hood, GB. His first home after he married was a flat on Linnhurst and MacCrary.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: I believe the portables were there in 58. I started school in 59 and they were there. Perhaps Eastburn could verify this. The widening of 7 Mile only decreased the boulevard area between the curb and sidewalk on both sides and did not affect the size of the parking lot. It is interesting that the church in 58 with only 7 masses (either in the gym or the new church) spaced closer together as compared to 11 masses in 65 could accomodate that many parishioners. The population of the parish in 58 was just as great as 65 if not more. Shoulder room and parking spaces must have been pretty tight......but, as you suggested 7K perhaps more people walked in 58 even as far as Eastburn.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 04, 2008)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The portables go back to at least '57 as I was in them for 7th grade & I believe we weren't the 1st class to use them.
Parking never seemed to be a problem. Many families walked. We drove from Eastburn as my Dad had severe arthritis at a pretty young age & couldn't walk far. Kids, of course, walked when going without the folks.
Saturday weddings on the hour were interesting. Wedding parties were pretty intermingled between masses. I loved serving weddings since the groom always slipped the alter boys a couple of bucks.
I was a little surprised to note 4 daily masses. Then it occurred to me we had 4 priests - ergo 4 masses. The chapel at Divine Heart Seminary had side alters ranged down each side - must have been ten or more - so that all the priests could get their masses in at the same time. Same situation at St. Paul of the Cross Retreat House on Schoolcraft where we went for our senior year retreat. I still make a retreat there every February.
GB - you must have run into a different bunch of Regina girls than the ones I knew. In fact, I've been married to 2 of them (sequentially not concurrently) & both were good moral girls. Not that I didn't try to change that.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful May Crowning at St. Jude today after the 11:00 Mass. It wasn't 200 children strong, only 2 little girls - but Father Robert led a procession of everyone around the inside of the church, ending at Mary's altar. Reciting a Prayer to Mary and with the organist playing in the background, the little communicant, dressed like we girls did, so many years ago, laid the crown of flowers on Mary's head. Some things change, but so many good things stay the same. I tried to take pictures of the May crowning, but they came out dark --sorry.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Thanks for the May Crowning Story. May Crownings now are quite different than our time.....It seems if parishes have May Crownings at all there are just a handful of 1st communicants unlike the hundreds of students and parents that jammed the St. Jude convent parking lot and church back in the 50s and 60s. Of course, that doesn't make the present day May Crowning any less meaningful. I went to Mass at a neighboring parish today (St. Joseph in Trenton) and heard the announcement of their May Crowning at 6PM tonight. Although the invitation was opened to everyone, in reality only a handful of 1st communicants and young students will show up I thought back at the hours in prep time we had to practice "Immaculate Mary" or "Hail Holy Queen" or to say the rosary every day in May (and October) so as to be ready for our grand ceremony to honor Mary. Your description of today's May Crowning is beautiful...The side altar and statue of Mary at St. Jude are a treasure of the church that hopefully will remain.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 04, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, do you remember when we had May Crownings? Was it at the beginning or end of May, usually?