Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it was the beginning of May to usher in the Month of the Blessed Mother.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: Interesting observation about the 4 Masses on Saturday, during the week there were 3 Masses not including the convent. You're right about the nuptials being an hour apart. I seem to recall that there wasn't as much procession and photo sessions taken at the church itself (it was usually done in a studio or the reception hall). There would be no way to do 3 wedding sequentially an hour apart with modern day expectations. Also, if you recall the Mass back then did not have a procession in or out of the church. The priest with 2 altar boys or 4 at a high mass would simply walk out of the sacristy on to the altar and walk back to the sacristy after the blessing or last gospel. I recall seeing the priest vesting and altar boys prepping for the next mass during communion time of the current mass......very little time between Masses. no closing song, no procession, no greeting of the priests in the gathering area etc. like modern Masses.
As far as tips were concerned for serving a wedding Mass, it depended on the particular priest that you served with. Fr. DeHarnis, in charge of the altar boys at that time, made us put our tip money in to a general fund so that everyone would benefit fairly from tips.....We would receive metals, rosaries, or crucifixes at Christmas time with the collected funds.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 461
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, that's what I thought, but I wasn't positive. I wonder if the girls in the above picture are in Communion dresses because the May Crowning was held after the High Mass on Communion Sunday.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

COMMUNISM!

Jcole

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean Communionism?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good!

Did we all come out of SJS with a sense of humor?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 329
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The beauty of daily Mass is during every second of every hour of every day, Roman Catholic Mass is being celebrated somewhere in the world. It was true back in our younger day, and remains true today.

This constant flow of prayer is truly a source of blessing and hope for all.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 421
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Above are two different articles regarding Marriage from the 1958 St. Jude Calendar. The article on top, written in a more folksy style, includes an interesting quote: "Only when your head is as cool as dry ice, can you let your heart go on fire".

Interestingly, only 4 weeks were required before nuptials in 1958 (to allow time to secure baptismal records and to publish 3 banns or announcements to discover if there was any reason why the marriage would not be valid)

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 04, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 330
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: I think EB was referring to the idea of pooling the tip money so all would benefit, and not about the 1st Communions.

Jcole

Post Number: 463
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do think we all came out of Catholic schools with a sense of humor. We needed one.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 422
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the May Crownings were toward the end of May. I seem to recall that on the 1st and 2nd Sunday in May 2nd graders made their 1st Communion, usually at an early Mass 7:30 or 9:00 AM. After that it was time to go home visit with grandparents and enjoy the first communion party later on in the afternoon with no May Crowning on the agenda. I also seem to recall that same scenario with my brother and sister years later into the mid 60s. A couple of weeks after 1st communion the May Crowning was held..the 2nd graders wore the same outfit as on their 1st communion....that's what you see in the photos. I'll admit I could be wrong on this one but I'm sticking to my guns on this till proven wrong:-) Can I get a witness?

7andkelly

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I'll give you May Crowning was on a Sunday following 1st Communions in that the first communicants were asked to wear their communion attire, but are you sure 1st Communion ceremonies were in May. If they were in late April, this would allow for an early May May Crowning ceremony.

Theory II: Was May Crowning held on Mother's Day?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Absolutely! My 1st Communion was on May 14, 1961 (the second Sunday of May and Mother's Day). The 1st group of 1st Communicants that year celebrated on May 7.

7andkelly

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M ay_crowning

Jcole

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First Communion was almost always held the first two Sundays in May. Both of my daughters were on Mother's Day.
I think I mentioned above that I thought May Crowning may have been held after one of the First Communions, explaining the girls attire.
Unless May Crowning wasn't held on Sunday at all, and was held during school hours or on a Saturday.

Jcole

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish we could come up with an April or May church paper.

7andkelly

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The date written in my St. Joseph's Missal is May 1 1966. This was a Sunday, and I recall going home afterward for a big family party, which was followed by a trip to Colonial Bank the next day.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theory: The May Crownings were definitely held in mid afternoon. If one were to look at various photos in this thread you will notice the shadow cast indicated about a 2-3PM sun. The recently posted photo of the girls shows their faces in shadow. They are facing east toward the church. Other May crowning photos throughout this thread show a similar scenario.....an afternoon sun. I seem to recall that the May crowning was on a Sunday with the rosary and coronation outside and a procession into the church afterward. Therefore, the question remains: Does anyone remember returning to St. Jude for a May crowning on the same day as their 1st Holy Communion? (during the 50s-70s) The mystery investigation continues.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't help with this one - my first communion was at AG, and we didn't have a May Crowning. I DO remember all the St. Jude May Crownings, and I do believe they were held during school hours. I remember our classes all being lined up - and I doubt that could have been done after a Sunday Mass. Another theory.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: I believe SJS prayed the rosary daily in May around lunch time and "practiced" for the May crowning during school hours but the actual May Crowning was held on a Sunday. I'm taking a big fall if this is wrong:-)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been amazed at everyone else's superior recall, so I will defer to another's memory! :-)
Attached is an official document signifying the adoption of a Pagan Baby.

Pagan Baby Adoption

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here's a snappy looking group of 5th graders!
5th grade

7andkelly

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Great find! A little history on the origins of this group: http://www.newadvent.org/cathe n/07399a.htm . I wonder where Jeffrie (sp?) Michael is today?

Also, this confirms, that in 1967, one of the 5th grade rooms was indeed 115.

Jcole

Post Number: 466
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those pictures are great. Is the boy in red Gerard and the other boy Mike B.?
I get Mary Lou, Gloria S., me, Sharon, Mary D. and I think Sue K. then I go blank. Do I have these correct, and who are the other three on the top row?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

other boy is Patrick M,
Kathy S, ML, Carla, Gloria S., Joanne J,

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a couple more pics
Sister Ellen Richard 4-100
Mr. McAdams - 6-130
Teachers

Jcole

Post Number: 467
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really should have known Carla. I just couldn't get the name.
What are the last names of Kathy, Joanne and the boys?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shea, Jacek, Hawley and Malta

Jcole

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you.
Those pictures of the teachers are great. Just looking at Sr. Ellen Richard, I can feel the pile of books in my arms and the tape on my mouth.
Mr. McAdams on the other hand, was nice.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sr. Ellen Richard WAS a task-master - no doubt - and Mr. McAdams was a treat for homeroom. I think we all liked being away from the crowded school and having our own "private" school in the gym.