Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Thanks for the pics. JC: I agree, looking at Sr. Ellen Richard sends chills down my spine.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 469
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being in the gym was cool. It was our own private academy in some ways.

Jcole

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sr. Ellen Richard was the most creative punisher in the school. I swear she took classes at the Torquemada School Of Disciplinary Action. The other nuns would hit with a ruler, smack you in the face, put you in the hallway, stand you in a corner. I even had Sr. Angus take my shoes away in second grade, but Sr. ER took it to a new level.

Zitro

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Task-master would be one description. I can think of a few others, but slander at this point would be mute.

Jcole

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure she's probably gone to the great beyond, and is punishing small children in purgatory now, but your right, Z, the statute of limitations on slander may still be in force.

Zitro

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The good thing is we've been able to rise above and let it go after all these years! HAH

Jcole

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about you, but I've had a hard time rising. I'm guessing that's what the HAH is for.

Zitro

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it's hard sometimes to be facetious in print.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harboring are we?

7andkelly

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish there were pictures posted of KR's donkey ears, or Jc holding a stack of books with tape on her mouth, or RE getting wailed on with one of the 76 trombones. As funny as it must have been to see it back then, I would be wetting myself from the laughter now.

Jcole

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me, it wasn't funny then.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it wasn't funny then, well, okay, sometimes it was....depending upon your view of the "victim", but no one graduated from 8th grade at St. Judes - not ready for the High School Years!

Jcole

Post Number: 475
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember any corporal punishment in HS. We got detention, or some kind of cleaning duty if we got in trouble, but I don't ever remember being struck or humiliated.

Zitro

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: It looks like we're down to just this thread now as the Eastwood one has been highjacked by mindless dribble. I guess they couldn't take a hint.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: I'm getting chills just hearing about Sr. ER and I'm not sure who she was. That photo could have been taken right outside of room 100 given the proximity of Sr. ER and the height of the window. Do you recall the circumstances behind the photos? Were they last day of school celebrations? It's surprising, given Sr. ER's reputation, that the photo was allowed unless it was taken by one of your parents.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 05, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 476
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I think the Eastwood guys are bouncing between Eastwood Memories, Heilmann, and the Denby threads recently.
I'm having a hard time keeping up.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Thanks for all the great contributions to this thread. IMHO there's a clear distinction between meaningful topic related contribution and irrelevant chat. Hopefully, this thread will stay on topic.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch out! Seems they're trying to sneak in here, too. Slandering our pure Regina girls for example.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Sr. ER wasn't such a bad sort most of the time. I believe I took this picture with my Instamatic - without the flashcube - in the courtyard between 100 and the gym. I remember that she was almost the top vote getter in the Detroit News "Teacher's Apple" award. Students had to fill in forms and send them in, nominating their favorite teacher. The reason I remember this, is that she came in under the principal of Sacred Heart - Mr. Corbett - and my cousin's were rubbing it in that their teacher beat our teacher in votes. Don't ask me how I remember THAT!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 430
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cfg: LOL Teacher's Apple Award? Was filing out the nomination form done for extra credit?

7andkelly

Post Number: 343
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: I will try to me more sensitive to some of our more painful childhood memories. In my oft attempts at humor, sometimes I find myself the only one laughing. At NDHS, I spent most of a class session one day in the hall because I could not control my laughter. Of course, that only made it more humorous for me. This reminds me that CP and humiliation were alive and well during my time at ND.

Z: Apparently the cones I placed at the corners were removed. If there's one thing I hate most about mindless dribble, it's when it's not mine. Maybe the occasional pictures of Nuns, Crucifixes and church items, will keep this safe for awhile.

Still having some fun in Tigers 2008 and now Wings/Stars!

Jcole

Post Number: 477
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG ,I don't know how you remembered that. I don't think I ever heard of it.

Jcole

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy the occasional mindless drivel. It makes the more serious stuff palatable.

Jcole

Post Number: 479
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K, I find humor in a lot of things others don't, also. I didn't mean to be so sensitive, but Sr. ER really gave me a rough way to go, and it spilled over into my home life, so I just got on my high horse. Don't hold back for me. Things wouldn't be nearly as much fun if you do.

7andkelly

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carte Blanche? Cool.

Jcole

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have an open marker. Go for it.

Zitro

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that pic of ER was a publicity shot. I heard she was up for the role of Commandant in the movie Stalog 17. Otto Preminger won out.

Jcole

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, she refused to wear pants, and they couldn't find a Nazi nun habit.

Jcole

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just spoke to my oldest sister, the one we refer to as St. Ruth, and she assures me that May Crowning was held during the school day at about 2pm. She remembers having to stop what they were doing every hour and praying to the Blessed Mother for sunshine in the afternoon. She also thinks the crowning was usually the second week of May.
As an aside, she celebrated her 50th wedding anniversary this year. She was married on April 19, 1958 at a 10:30 High Mass, and was the first wedding in the new upstairs church. She was married by Father Ording.

Jcole

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She said that there was a Fr. Pomponi when she was at St. Jude. Does anyone remember him?