Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fr. Pomponi rings a bell. Fr. Reckinger was there then, too.
I probably served at her wedding but I don't think the groom tipped me. Let's see $2.00 @ 6% compound interest for 50 years = $32.79. If they're ever in Port Austin................

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 485
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll be in Saginaw next week. What's it worth to you for me to tell you where?
BTW, his last name is Lanuzza. Not an easy one to forget

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still on the run after all these years! And all for a lousy two bucks. The guilt!

Jcole

Post Number: 486
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, it's 32.79 now. We're talking big bucks.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See ya Jaque Jones, don't let the door hit ya.

7andkelly

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If EB has to drive down from Port Austin, it won't be worth the gas.

He could hitch hike, but from what I hear it would take him four days to get there and four more days to get back.

Eastburn

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can track them down. I worked for Pinkertons 40 years ago. The only problem is it will cost me more than $32.79 in gas to drive to Saginaw.
JC - we can work something out if you can steer them to Port Hope or Port Austin.

Jcole

Post Number: 487
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, Let's hope the new guy is better.

Zitro

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was hitting .164 to paraphrase a term you used before. It can't get any worse. I gotta believe it's Thames' job to lose at this point. Kinda surprised they didn't bring back Thomas.

7andkelly

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm more concerned about 3rd base. I want Inge there for defensive purposes, but then what about Guillen? DH?

Zitro

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it. Bye-Bye Sheff. I know he's trying but 5 RBI's at this point ain't cutting it.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lurked long enough here. My stay at SJS was from 75-83.

My Teachers included Miss Brooks, Mrs. Fleming (She currently works for Chippewa valley along with another of my classmates, Jim Kuzner.), Mr. Taylor, Sr. Alice. I heard those bells almost everyday for years. They were as much a part of my summer days as the sounds of lawnmowers.

Those years were a great time to be a kid. There was always something to do from Heilman, Tastee Freeze for ice cream and video games, playing sports on many of the various empty lots, endless bike rides and walks. It is a shame that you can’t find that kind of community anymore. Architects really need to look again at the big front porch. All the action was usually on the street instead of the backyard.

7andkelly

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During your era, how may classes were there for each grade, and how many kids in each class?

Jcole

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Pistons! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jazz, Good to see another familiar name in this forum. It's interesting to see a perspective from other decades. Visit anytime.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will ask my mother to scan my old class photos. I seem to remember about 32 per class. There were always two classes per grade. It was still a strong school when I left. Most of the kids that started in the first grade were there at the end. Most went over to ND/Regina. Many went on to WSU. It was strange to see people at WSU that I had known my whole life.

7andkelly

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you were a music major?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage: Around 1962 Larry Eagan took over as band leader at SJS and about that time he headed over to NDHS for a very long and heralded stint. Were you part of the band at SJS and NDHS? If so you must have some interesting stories.

ALL: Did anyone else play in the SJS band?

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 06, 2008)

Eastburn

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, but they threw me out.. Just like the seminary. Was in the choir, too. Once I got to the seminary choir, they told me I was a 2nd base. Told the good father I was a better shortstop.

7andkelly

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: No, but we did bring kazoos in to an NDHS class one day. Unfortunately, not everyone appreciated our kind of music, and they were all confiscated. Speaking of confiscation, I still have one of my two green super secret knuckle squirt guns. They got the other one. If there is ever an open house or clean out day at the old school, there is a middle left desk drawer I need to check in a room on the west side of the SW wing.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on May 06, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never played in the band but a group of us could play a mean tune with arm farts.

Zitro

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K that reminds me, there may be a locker or 2 at NDHS that still has some good stash in it. better get at it before the wrecking ball.

(Message edited by zitro on May 06, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, if there was a stash, I am sure that it's been long sniffed out, and enjoyed to the utmost, if not by a Notre Dame guy, than by a renegade Reginite.

Zitro

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're probably right. Wishful thinking I guess.

7andkelly

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After all this confessing, one of these days a Priest is going to post our absolution.

Jcole

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hurry up and find one, we're not getting any younger.

Jcole

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Eastburn, did you get to absolutions in seminary, or did they toss you before that?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we have a reunion event, we'll have to let Father Robert know that his confession lines may go around the school.....
I jumped out of the action for the day -and it looks like I missed "true confessions"

Zitro

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: See what you get? You can't go way for too long you never know what you're missing.

Eastburn

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only had 2 1/2 years of minor seminary but what the hell................
You're all absolved (I have my reservations about 7K but he's included). Go in peace and sin no more. Come to think of it - that's a pretty tall order. At least for me.