Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through May 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/GB: Oh that old CT / Mackenzie story again from the bus driver....who printed S&H green stamps ... Hey dexter bus driver a real man from the westside would have opted to go to Central....

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Olddetroiter is correct? I’m at a loss for words. I like to think I am fairly good with comebacks to the nasty jabs by some folks on these forums. But I don’t know how to handle ‘nice’. You're not just setting out the bait before you spring the trap on me are you?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6459
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61, Central HS wouldn't take jjaba either. Cass Tech. was the onliest HS that would take him.

jjaba, on the Dexter bus crossing Fullerton.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this Jjaba humility scares me. When is the other shoe going to drop?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bus Driver: When you wear two left shoes you just go round and round in circles ... kinda like the dexter bus....

ES 61 Proudly, Shooting baskets at Roosevelt Elementary in the day ... it was east of Northlawn!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6461
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ofcourse, Roosevelt Elementary School is on Grand River Ave. on the Northwestern HS campus.
It was built about the time jjaba was at Cass Tech.

What's Eastside61 doing over there?

Olddetroit, worry not, jjaba ain't going after you nor anybody else.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK...makes sense to me. This is a thread for Denbyites, not just about Denby. Makes sense to me, lol.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pistons gave us a bit of a scare once again last night. Hopefully they can get this round done quickly.

Yes, a long break can hurt, but so can tweaked ankles and other injuries. Time to get it done.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOL: Plus wannabe Denbyites too.

7K: If you looked real close on TV you could see JC waving her socks behind the backboard when Dwight Howard was taking his free throws.

7andkelly

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. She was the one wearing the mask, and the only one standing from what I could see through the fog in the arena. Unfortunately, we needed her at her home in front of a split screen to knock down the Red Sucks and give the Tigs a needed boost.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 walks and can't take advantage of it.. Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. Leyland looks lost

7andkelly

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dumbrowski needs to be the hammer, and pull the plug on some of these guys. Leland needs to manage to win, and not to just be classy.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His affection for Sheffield has gone way too far. Not only is he allowing him to be an offensive liability he will now become a defensive one as well. Enough is enough. 14 mil to walk a lot is not worth it. He's to up close and personal with the situation, I agree Dumbrowski needs to be the bad cop.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6462
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby, two words, Dwight Howard.
You solve that problem, you win games.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6463
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby, how long does it take to go from Denby to The Palace for Pistons games? It take forever from the Westside.

Coleman Young, a local hero, was right. The Pistons wear Detroit, they belong in Detroit.

jjaba, Westsider, honorary Denby.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, Z: You have to give the lucky socks credit though. Even tho the Tigs are playing lousy they are still only 3 1/2 out of first. Smelly, lucky socks work in mysterious ways their wonders to perform.

Jjaba: You're right. Pistons should be in Detroit; it's the Lions who should leave. I know an ideal place near Denby where the Pistons could build their new arena. New Pistons address: Fordham and Celestine.

7andkelly

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You would think so with all the vacant land, but Detroit's renaissance depends on the revenue from bio fuel producing corn in this fast growing urban farming community. The concrete is in the way, but the hydrants make for an effective irrigation system.

Regarding the Tigs, we need to play Texas or other National League quality teams.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Concrete? If you're referring to the Detroit streets I can't imagine finding any piece larger than maybe a couple feet square. We could use them to build walls to keep the goats out of the corn. Sounds like a win-win to me.

On second thought, with the way the water mains are always bursting Detroit might be better suited to growing rice than corn.

(Message edited by olddetroiter on May 06, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You're right about the streets, but I was referring to the foundation walls from the pre-war structures. And by war, I'm not referring to WWII, but to the local devastation that is all too apparently ongoing and spreading.

Too many good tractors and plow blades are getting damaged, and Japanese equipment and steel are getting increasingly expensive.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on May 06, 2008)

Jjaba

Post Number: 6467
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly, you've got a HOF handle. Love it, Pure Detroit, Pure Eastside.

jjaba, Proudly Westside, honorary Denby.

7andkelly

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jj! I am Denby graduate of the 1974 drivers educational program, summer session, which prepared me well. I am proud to say I went over to the Sec of State over on 7 Mile near Osborne, and completed the 20 question test the first time in less than an hour with only 6 wrong. I didn't crash nothing, and the tester guy wasn't that afraid. I was so happy I sped all the way back down 7 Mile to tell the folks!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Assuming the walls are still standing on some of the basements we could scoop about three feet out of them and make great goat pens. I read an article in the Sunday News that said with the increasing Hispanic and Muslim populations goat meat is becoming increasingly popular in the U.S. Maybe ES would allow us to buy into his goat business. We could form a franchise like McDonalds selling Billy Burgers.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6468
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being a Westsider, jjaba has never even seen Denby. Likewise, jjaba took his drivers ed on the Mac Kenzie HS school yard when he was 16.
Summer session, so jjaba graduated from Mac Kenzie AND Cass Tech. Never thought of it that way.
Thanks.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJ: You really should go see Denby. The architectural beauty will dazzle your eyes. (And it looked even better before all the vandalism). Just follow six mile east until you get there, but be sure to allow plenty of time to pass inspection at the Woodward checkpoint.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dexter Bus Boy: Your westside compass is all screwed up again...so lets try this one again... A real westside man like you should have attended Roosevelt - Durfee - and then Central...

They were all on the same campus .... you remember westside stuff... right? your Mackenzie (looks just like Denby and built after DHS was built) was in a westside kinda neighborhood... what about your sussex attendance area... further west right???

ES 61 Proudly, Still helping Stags get their compass pointing east

7andkelly

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A real eastsider would know 6 Mile doesn't go all the way through to Denby from Woodward. A wrong turn, and he might end up in Mt. Olivet.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Closer to god .....though! Come west Dexter bus boy!
ES 61 Proudly, Compass repairing service

Jjaba

Post Number: 6469
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Westside is huge. jjaba is on Northlawn and
Schoolcraft. That's Noble, to Tappan, to Mac Kenzie for the normal DPS student.

jjaba's house on Sussex/W. Seven Mile Rd. was for graduate school down to Wayne. He knows little about those public schools.

Be certain about a trip to Denby; full tank of gas, pack lunch with extra water, air up tires, install a really detailed map, St. Christopher Medal on dash, say a brachah a mile, plan the exact route, day-time only, and ride with a body double.

jjaba, hyperventilating just thinking about it.
jjaba, on the Imperial Express down to Wayne.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just make sure he doesn't knock over my grandfather's grave stone!

7andkelly

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigs are slow starters again tonight. Mediocre pitching and dead bats.