Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through May 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, OK keep your Garter Belts, and your fantasies. those were the days when Costner was still hot, as well as Susan Sarandon.
I just don't see any of it happening up at Heilmann. Balduck, maybe

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...it started at Heilmann after skating one night with date AF...but, you're right...it was finished at Balduck...no good parking lot at Heilmann...it didn't matter with ES & OD...no one would get in the backseat with either...other than SH with ES...and she left laughing.

Jcole

Post Number: 424
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There may not have been parking, but I seem to remember a structure called the Ant Hill down at Heilmann that was a makeout spot at least for the non driving crowd. It was a cement hill with holes in the side for climbing set in the center of a round sandbox. By day, a toy, but by night.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ant Hill was after my time at Heilmann...in the late 50's Heilmann was flat as hell...ice rink and ball diamonds...dates were skate until every extremity was damn near frozen...then head to Ballduck to warm things up.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

refer to June 8, 2007 bottom pic in Heilman thread for ant hill memory

Goblue

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks KR...that building by the pool in the first pic sure looks like the one that was there next to the ice rink...did they just dig a hole where the rink used to be?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I'm not sure if we have the time lines right:
The original rink by Manning (the one you won the city championship on ) was there from the 50s to just recently in the 2000s. The outdoor pool and locker rooms for both the pool and the ice rink was built in the late 50s just south of the rink(don't know exactly what year). the pool/lockerrooms etc were enclosed and expanded around 1966...becoming a community center. The area where the ice rink once was is now occupied by a new state-of-the-art community center. The orignal pool/community center was razed and paved over a couple of years ago.

Goblue

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I don't have any recollection of the pool...that doesn't mean that it wasn't there given the state of my memory at times...my time at Heilmann very likely ended with that last hockey season...by the way, the championship game was at a westside rink the name of which completely escapes me...I may have visited the rink for some skating dates after that but I really kinda doubt it...after that season if I went skating it was most likely with SE59 when I was home from WMU for a weekend or Christmas Break and we would have gone down to the Belle Isle canals.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Ant Hill after your time? Wasn't that your mother's sister I saw you sneaking off with behind the hill at Balduck those times?

Never mind, I thought you said Aunt Hill.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: As a Fordham guy..... what did you actually do when you went DOWN to the Belle Isle Canals. Did you bring skates? and other protection for the cold weather????

ES61 - Proudly - Keeping this thread Focused on Eastwood

Goblue

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: In those days SE59 provided the backseat heat...sadly, the best way to make a woman stop wanting sex is to marry her.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: There will be one long chapter in the book discussing all aspects of those affected by Southeastern and those who attended SE......

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Se59 interviewed by Dr. Ruth on remarriage... Says sex life is great. First hubby couldn't keep up,

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB/OD/ES, I was on board with the book deal about the eastside, but how much interest would there be in chapters about old perv codgers' revisionist memories about anthills, backseats, Balduck park or wherever?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Ever hear of Pandora's Box?? Here it comes.

7andkelly

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: That reminds me of the line from Christmas Vacation when Clark says: "WORSE?! HOW COULD IT GET ANY WORSE?! WE'RE ON THE THRESHOLD OF HELL"!

Sometimes you just gotta toss one in and watch what happens.

Zitro

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I give you credit, you give me at least one good solid laugh a day.

Zitro

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'm understanding the anonyminity factor now.

7andkelly

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or maybe the line from Stripes: Captain Stillman: "You men are a disgrace. Maybe a few days in the stockade will help you change your rotten attitudes".

7andkelly

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or John Winger's: "Come on. Come on. You're already dirty".

Zitro

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you don't mind if I sit back and watch.

7andkelly

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sergeant Hulka: "Now, since nobody else has got the guts to admit it, the rest of this platoon will do the next two weekends on KP".

Sergeant Hulka: "How's that sound to you, mister"?

John Winger: "I think it sucks".

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, 7K: I can't agree more about those old perv codgers GB and ES. As long as you enclose the book in a plain paper wrapper it should be a top seller. I know a printer on the westside who will give you a discount in return for the perv chapter. Come to think of it you might want to develop a special edition for the westsiders containing the perv chapter only.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to throw the smelly socks chapter in the westside edition too. They really get off on things like that.

(Message edited by olddetroiter on May 02, 2008)

Goblue

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope...SE59's 2nd died a couple of years ago...it seemed like an extreme way to get away from her but to each his own. I always felt sorry for the poor little sucker.

Jcole

Post Number: 433
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, it's too bad that ANYONE has to get off on smelly socks.

Goblue

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The boys locker room at Denby was worse than just smelly socks...sweaty jocks, t-shirts, shorts...practically had to wear a gas mask to be in there.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Lucky smelly socks beat lucky smelly jocks any day ... unless you're a westsider with ink in your veins. Then it all smells the same.

Goblue

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm...never thought about the Westside smelling like a smelly jock...but...I think yer right...nothing lucky about it...maybe that's what's wrong with the Tigs this year...that or they were jinxed by the clown who said they would score 1000 runs.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You’re right, the Westside does smell like a locker room… with those tiny little baskets for your jocks and shorts. And never taking them home to wash until the end of the semester. I would take mine to Jjaba's kosher laundromat, but the came back worse than when I dropped them off.

Maybe we shouldn’t distribute the book to the Westside after all. No sense raising their aspirations to levels they could never hope to achieve. They may be better off left to their mundane existence and not knowing any better.