Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who me?! Inviting the Priest in was my idea!

I take one day off to go hang around Denby and my reputation is shot.

This is why I prefer the old private confessional where even the Priest doesn't know you.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about go in peace and sin a little less?

Jcole

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K, They knew who we were, don't kid yourself.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You haven't even heard the penance yet.

7andkelly

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would explain the looks I get.

Jcole

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

think of a good one, Eastburn, I'm sure we can all use it.

Jcole

Post Number: 501
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The comfort of the closed confessional was that we couldn't see the priest, so we assumed he didn't know who we were. Especially in grade school when they saw us all the time, they could recognize your voice, and THEY have a light in thier little cubical, so they can see out, but you can't see in.
Hey, we knew who they were and what's fair is fair.

Eastburn

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may have to sleep on it. Tigs are on.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Damn right they knew our voices. I had one that said my name! I thought I was going to die

Jcole

Post Number: 503
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it was great when you had a real juicy confession, and the priest gave you a heavy penance, and you were still there praying when he came out of the confessional, and gave you the evil eye.
If you could dig a hole through marble, that church floor would have looked like a strip mine

Sjbad
Username: Sjbad

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am totally amazed by how well you remember all of those events. They have a name for that in my business we call Post Stress Traumatic Disorder.
I wish I had more to add but some of those memories are hard to relive.

Jcole

Post Number: 505
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ, I think we all suffer from PTSD in one form or another. Like I said, I still duck for cover when I see a black and white nun habit. Or even something that looks like one.

7andkelly

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not me. Bless a nun and you get it back more than you can count. See a nun? Pay for her dinner!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is somewhat cathartic though.

Eastburn

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe my memories have been favorably colored or perhaps things really changed in the 10 - 15 years between my time at SJS and most of yours. Sure, there was no nonsense about maintaining discipline but for the most part if I got smacked or otherwise punished I figured I had it coming. In a way, it became a game for me. How much could I put over on the powers that be? Must have carried over to my seminary days given my premature exit.
Over the years I've heard many folks tell horror stories about a Catholic education and the old "we're the only ones going to heaven". The one TRUE religion stuff. That's not what I remember being taught by SJS nuns & priests. I recall being taught about a Fr. Feeney who headed an outfit called "The Slaves of Mary". One of their major tenets was that only RCs (and maybe those Eastern rites who recognize the Pope) would make it to heaven. We were taught that that was not the case and that Feeney was excommunicated as a heretic.
Overall my SJS, seminary and ND education has been a very positive experience in my life. Not that I buy into all the Catholic dogma at this stage of my life. I still feel that the folks who taught me were,for the most part, loving, caring people.

End of rant.

I would be interested in hearing your memories of us vs the rest of the world - salvation wise. Your answers may well have a bearing on your penance.

Jcole

Post Number: 507
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to cathart on a regular basis :-)

Eastburn

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably a good thing for us all.

Jcole

Post Number: 508
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember having friends that were Lutheran, and going to their sister's wedding. I remember being told that we could not participate in the service, and could only sit there. I'm not sure why.
And I do remember some of the nuns teaching us that Catholicism was the One True Religion.
My poor husband didn't go to Catholic school, but he did go to Catechism for a while. That is until he got scared so bad by a nun telling him that if he didn't obey his parents, he would be dragged into hell where he would burn for eternity. He was 7.

7andkelly

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Despite any impression I may give to the contrary by stories or jocularity, I am grateful for SJS and NDHS. I'm glad to see SJ Church is still alive. The latest church paper article from the food pantry indicates it is more of a lifeline than ever for the surrounding community.

My family and I are still grounded in the faith and well rooted in parish life in the burbs.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on May 06, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And despite what I say about the nuns, etc, I am grateful for the education that I received both at SJS and Regina. I spent my senior year in Almont, and I had been so well educated at Regina, there were only 3 classes at Almont that I hadn't had.
I had some nuns that I remember fondly, and several lay teachers that I won't ever forget. The Church played a very important part in my upbringing and I wouldn't be the same person without it.
Wait a minute, that could be good or it could be bad....

Eastburn

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, Yea, they were pretty prejudiced about taking part in non-Catholic (always loved that term) services. And there was the burning in hell thing. Don't think the RCs have the market cornered on hell, though.

7K, You may get a break on your penance.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't mind taking a break from the RC theology and dogma regarding confession, I'd like to ask if anyone can identify the nun in the above picture taken at a May crowning in 1963. (I'm guessing Sr. Ann Rochelle)

Eastburn

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, are you angling for a reduced penance?????????????

Jcole

Post Number: 511
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, speaking of May Crowning, my other sister, Fran (SJS 1965)says you are correct, and the crowning was on the last Sunday in May, but in the late afternoon, not right after Mass. I will bow to the quorum who agree on this, and say my Mea Culpae.

Jcole

Post Number: 512
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn, no, I'm just justifying my position here on the thread. I don't want to seem like I'm only here to knock things, although I will continue to call 'em as I saw 'em.

Jcole

Post Number: 513
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And one more thing for tonight, I spoke to my mom yesterday, now bear in mind she's 88, but when I mentioned the Blessing of the Church pictures, she immediately said that it must be Bishop Progins.
Does this ring anyone's bell?

Eastburn

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only bishop I can remember other than Cardinals Mooney & Deardon was Bishop Donovan who was pastor of St. Matthews but I'm sure there were other auxiliary bishops. We were confirmed by Donovan in 1955.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Thanks for the affirmation. Yes May crownings were in the mid to late afternoon on the last or second from last Sunday in May. I recall a lot of cameras and 8mm home movie cameras surrounding those events. It would be great to see some copied home movies perhaps on the St. Jude Facebook website.

Open question: Does anyone have or know someone who has home movies or video of St. Jude Church/or school events.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 & K and all - I think we're all grateful for the dedication of our SJS nuns/teachers/priests - for those of us that are still active in our parishes - me still at St. Jude - that's a miracle in itself considering we were the generation to get hit with the overnight change of habits and rosary beads to guitars and "whatever makes YOU feel good" Masses. I'm glad that St. Jude is still so active in the community with the food pantry and also has a pastor that appreciates St. Jude and it's history and wants to see it grow. With all the consolidation of parishes in the past 2 years, we were holding our breath and with weaker leadership, we may have lost! Last night I dropped off more supplies for our clean-up weekend and wish you all could have been standing with me, when the bells rang at 6!
Now - to Z and JC -
You're close on the pictures, but Debbie and Pam did not attend - try again.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for what it's worth dept............I remember the hammer striking the lowest (and largest) bell for a bit and then the biggest (lowest) bell would really crank up and PEAL!.........