Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The blond lady in the picture. EB: Far out guess; is that Mrs. Sawicki?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Not fair! I have a couple more guesses though, will send along

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K Kid - You NAILED the memory. That's exactly what I saw last night as I looked up and watched the bells sound. It's the best when they're all being rung!
JC & Z - loved the Marty 1&2 - try again - and there was also no Mike B in attendance

Zitro

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RATZ!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trivia: (And I really wish I knew the answer)
During the Angelus there was and is a certain sequence of the bells ringing. It seems the top bell with the higher pitch rang 2nd and the whole bell would move so as the striker would hit. The bigger bells either the lower or middle had only the striker hit at the beginning of the Angelus. What was the actual sequence? Those of you who lived around the church have an advantage in answering the question. Additionally, it seems the sequence of the bells did change throughout its history.

CFG and 7 KID, I'm relying on your input here

Kellyroad

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude Cub Scouts
Den 1, Pack 420 circa 1963

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to have to ask the Padre about the bells....Since he's only 2 years into the Parish history, it'll require some research. I'm on it!

Sjbad
Username: Sjbad

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you really want to remember the old days you still can down south. Mother Angelica from EWTN has podcasts. Here is the website:
http://origin.ewtn.com/podcast /index.asp
MOTHER ANGELICA LIVE CLASSICS
The entire family will enjoy a solid hour of Mother's world famous witty wisdom.

I still use many of the tactics I learned from the nuns in the training site I run. They were experts in their own way.

Zitro

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SB: You mean Vietnamese mind torture? Very effective.

Zitro

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can't be the ADDIE Model

7andkelly

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sj: Thanks for sharing this. I like Sr. A. and my Mom loves to watch Fr. BG. EWTN, and their Masses for the shut-ins are a godsend! If you can't make it to Mass in person, you can still receive the Eucharist via Spiritual Communion.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR.....a bit disconcerting seeing my 9 yr. old face looking back at me (still good looking and charming)....all right....I see me, you, your brother, R.V.?........your basement for sure..the East wall?.......working on the Angelus quiz....

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 515
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary, I got the picture. Thanks so much.
Now I can make some more educated guesses.

Jcole

Post Number: 516
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure that Marty didn't just run and change his pants and get in both pictures? I swear that's his twin!!

Jcole

Post Number: 517
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K,
I thought the same thing when I saw that May Crowning pic. It sure looks like Mike's mom to me.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - you sure are close on the "twin" observation - and not too far from the Marty guess.

Jcole

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew that was the same guy. I just had the wrong guy!!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what was killin' me!

Jcole

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disregard the Bishop Progins quesstion. My Mom meant Bishop Plagens, but I think she was living a little further in the past than we are. He was an auxillary Bishop in Detroit from 1924-35 and then became Bishop of Marquette and then Grand Rapids. He died in 1943.

7andkelly

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Cool pins. Pls send pics to FBM.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 KID; regarding cub scout pic. No brother, No RV (RV was much older and not sure if he was involved in scouts. Was DV?). Besides the two stars in the photo there is one unidentified the others are (NOT IN ORDER): Bob Weber (use to be my next door neighbor on Morang), Nells Hickman (Zitro knows him), Jim Badowski and Billy Coughlin (JCole knows them from Maddelein) and Rick Geldoff (sp?). John Mazaren (sp?) is the boy scout assistant. The shot was taken in the rec room facing the north wall which is indistinguishable from the east wall. LOL

Zitro

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K Not following what FBM is?

Jcole

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FaceBookMail?

7andkelly

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc is right or YHM is even better. Thanks.

7andkelly

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is an hour earlier.

Zitro

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha

7andkelly

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love all that stuff. My son's gonna love it too. Most of my "old" stuff unfortunately only goes back to my own childhood days.

A work friend of mine hit the mother load, so to speak, going through boxes of his parents' belongings. After his Mom passed these boxes sat in his garage for a couple years till he was ready.

What he found in amongst the receipts and files and junk was a wealth of play bills, baseball and hockey memorabilia, and letters (one signed by Lincoln). Sothby's appraised it all in the high six figures. My friend is retired now.

I forget the name of the bread company, but there were sets of these picture pins of Cobb and the like from the 1910s.

Zitro

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to check my catalog book, it has everything in it. There were probably more than one.

Zitro

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: It might have been Mrs. Sherlocks bread.

Jcole

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Earlier, someone mentioned the Angelus bell sequence. I don't remember that, but I sure do remember the Wedding peal. It was the happiest sounding bells I've ever heard. And the funeral bells the saddest. But I really remember the 8am bells on Saturday, when I didn't have to get up, but living 1/2 block from the church, they almost knocked you out of bed.