Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through May 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You raise a good point...why create hope of becoming even honorary Eastsiders when in reality...no such hope exists...Westsiders are condemned to their sad, mundane, and charmless west and downriver existence...let's just hope that the Rouge River doesn't catch fire on them.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 410
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue: Correction, Downriver is NOT the west side. It has it own unique culture and long rich history quite separate from the west side. I live much closer to the Detroit river than on the eastside. Not sad, not mundane, and certainly oozing with charm. This is avowed vehemently from a born and raised eastsider and always an eastsider at heart

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I doubt GB meant that far downriver. The average Westsider can't comprehend anything past Southfield Road. And even that may be a stretch since I've broken the Jjaba rules and referenced an area outside the Detroit city limit.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 445
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless of course, it refers to the southern most field within the Detroit city limits.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB was probably thinking of River Rouge and Ecorse, those upscale suburbs sophisticated Westsiders hope to move up to someday.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there is some lovely realestate ready for developement on Zug Island. Get it before it's gone.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waterfront? I understand you don't even have to know how to swim. Just walk on the water.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 324
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want a riverside lot with a smokestack view from my family room. Ahhh, nothing like the sweet smell of sulfur in the morning, and a glowing green sky in the evening.

Reminds me of the old porch sitting days near 7 and Kelly on the eastside. I spy, with my little eye, I'm looking at something that begins with "c".

Goblue

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Mea culpa...I didn't mean to offend...certainly not a diehard Eastsider now residing "downriver". OD is exactly correct...I had in mind River Rouge...or Ecorse...or even Toledo although I admit that is a bit of a stretch. I did have to smile at your use of the term "oozing"...I am quite certain that you were not referring to the tributaries of the D River?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Oozing was probably meant in the context of Zug Island. Charm is just one of many things oozing from it.

Goblue

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I always thought that anything between Woodward Ave. and Ann Arbor oozed!

Jcole

Post Number: 454
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I'm sure there are people in the Western subs who will take exception, especially if they took their penicillin

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC/GB/Od: As formed cast members of the Detroit Wiz....I remember seeing you all on stage singing "Ooze on Down the Road"

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, ES, Jjaba ... Statistics on sanity say that one out of every four persons suffers from some sort of mental illness. I'm OK, so which one of you is it?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You cannot figure it out??? The Westside Nutcake for sure!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean the wacko that thinks Ferndale is part of Detroit? See first post in...

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/133514.html?1207245059

I can live with that.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: The Polls have closed.... ballots counted and the Westside clown has won again.... 68th year in a row! What a guy!

Goblue

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful now! Jjaba is a Bronco!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: the dexter bus driver was the actual mascot at WMU? Here I thought that he was the mascot for UC-Santa Cruz .... the Banana Slugs..... Are you sure? The slow moving westside mentality once again for the old 68 year old mascot...

Goblue

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw, naw...Jjaba was the gatekeeper for mail and phone calls...it paid to be nice to him.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't cross Jjaba. I still remember him holding Princess Leia in chains in that Star Wars movie.

Jcole

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, that was his dad, Jaba. This is Junior Jaba, or Jjaba.

Goblue

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The word around WMU in the early 60's was that Jjaba wore a garter belt...no one was ever able to confirm that however.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Oh, so he's Jjaba the mutt

Jcole

Post Number: 514
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess he could be called that, also. Or JabaII

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With a name like that he could probably use a pair of stinky lucky socks.

Goblue

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually...I always thought that the word confused Jjaba with Sheila F. re: the garter belt...they spent alot of time together on weekends...had to feel sorry for the poor girl...she "couldn't get no satisfaction" at MSU.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Sheila hated older boys who lived on the westside even though she was the Mumford fox. J-boy JUST wore a garter belt and no other clothing... I know you guys in the dorm at WMU had a tough time getting dates ... I know ... I Know there was some type of nursing school located in Benton Harbor that dated one guy at WMU... Why would a clown control the phones and mail.... so he worked behind the desk in the dorm ... didn't WMU have phones in each room ... ????

ES 61 Proudly, A Columbus Rocket Basketball team member

Goblue

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: As a matter of fact there were two nursing schools in Kzoo...Bronson and Borgess...the latter was affiliated in some way with Nazareth College (Catholic girls school)...the students from either school were great dates...they were worked like slaves so a movie and a six-pack after was like heaven to them. For a couple of years two buddies and I had an apartment just down the street from the Bronson nurses' dorm...those were two great years.

As a matter of fact in the late 50's and early 60's the dorms did not have phones in each room...calls came into the dorm switchboard which then relayed them to a hall phone on each floor/wing...my recollection is that there were 2-3 phone booths on each floor/wing...anyone walking by the phone when it rang would answer and yell down the hall for the recipient...having a room close to the phones was both a plus and a minus.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: We were much more hi-tech at Alma. Instead of someone having to yell down the hall, we had speakers on each floor so the guy at the switchboard could just page you. That way everyone knew you were getting a call. If nobody ever got paged, he must be the dorm nerd.