Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do believe you've got it, Watson!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elementary

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I added some pictures to the St. Jude Facebook site that some of you may be interested in. they are also on my Facebook site.
http://www.facebook.com/photo_ search.php?oid=13026593213&vie w=all

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 440
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: The baptismal font that was originally in the gym (I'm assuming your baptism pic) was moved to the upstairs baptistry (under the bell tower) then replaced with the the dark marble one that was there for many years. Do you know who the priest who baptised you? Are those field trip shots at Heilmann?

Does anyone know what happened to the dark baptismal font that after renovation of the church? Was it moved? was the marble used for the present day baptism pool located in the gathering area??

If one looks carefully in JCole's baptism picture taken in the gym, you'll see a station of the cross that was later used in the present day church, later being replaced by the ones placed in front of the speakers along the arches inside the church nave.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 08, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was never sure where I was baptized. I thought it was in the new church, but maybe downstairs. It was Spring of 56
Yes the field days were at Heilmann. I don't know the priest but I might be able to find our from one of my sisters.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 441
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: I'm pretty sure you were baptised in the gym. The brick and window are that of the gym. I'm not sure if the lower church had baptisms, the lower church had cinder block and much higher windows. The upper church would be real evident. .....That in my opinion with the marble, the stain glass windows, the small St Joseph enclave that preceded it, was one of the most beautiful baptistries. My sister and I were also baptised in the gym. The surroundings are the same as in your pic.
BTW, that is a great picture! Thanks

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 08, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 524
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this, but I will see if I can find out who the priest is.
Z might even know.

Zitro

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He doesn't look familiar to me. He would have had to stay around another 7-8 years for me to have been cognizant of a priests name.

Jcole

Post Number: 526
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought maybe we had been baptized by the same guy, and knowing that you've kept everything from you baby shoes on down, you might still have your baptismal certificate.
I'm thinking of contacting St. Jude and getting my certificate anyway. It'll be on there.

Zitro

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to dig in the archives, I'm sure I have it

7andkelly

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have my Baptismal certificate. Let me go scan and post it right now.

7andkelly

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...hey...wait a minute...cancel that

Zitro

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very funny 7&K

Jcole

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, thought we had a break through.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - where are your pictures on the facepage? JCole has got us all facing some serious catch-up time! I'll take some "new" pictures this weekend - maybe even one of the 'tunnels'!

Zitro

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg. I never kept anything from my childhood, I can barely remember it.

Jcole

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z has the archival footage. The church papers, and that type of stuff.

I just called and requested my baptismal cert from St. Jude. We'll see when i get it.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - Lynn will take care of you - quickly - she's the best admin St. Jude has had in many years!
Well, Z - looks like we'll have to fill in your childhood memories - you'll have a delightful childhood by the time we're done!

Zitro

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K is really Claude Rains

Zitro

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Thank you make sure it's colored nice and rosey for me.

Zitro

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Was there a charge for that?

7andkelly

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE TUNNELS!
I would just love to get down there some day with my Sony digital 8...and get the church, convent, gym, school...all that. I could get the avi's posted on FB. Maybe this summer some time...the tunnels would seal the deal!

Zitro

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: The problem is if you do that then the mystique would be gone. But it would be great.

Jcole

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I got was a voice mail asking for my name, address and phone number and they said they would send it out. I imagine they will call for a fee if one is required.

Jcole

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When one or both of you get a chance, go to the FB site and tell me if you think that one picture is Bob Dhanis or not. I can't quite tell. If not, who do you think it is?
Also, I really think that tall blond is Tom Kretz, I can't imagine who else it could be.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

then I'll just take some "mini" tunnel pictures! or maybe just one by the big furnace!

Zitro

Post Number: 369
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Having a tough time with the clarity. I'm buying Tom Kretz, but I'm kinda iffy on the Bob Dhanis one.

7andkelly

Post Number: 407
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if I get down there and discover I'm claustrophobic? What if there are bones? Or treasure? Maybe the old font is down there for secret baptisms. Maybe there are doors leading to other tunnels, like to the old missile site. What if the lights go out? What if the door shuts behind me and I can't open it and my cell phone has no bars?
I can't wait!

Zitro

Post Number: 370
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add in some cobwebs crawling on you when the lights go out and you've got yourself a movie

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K - you've seen WAAAAYYY too many episodes of NCIS or CSI - I think the tunnels are best left to your imagination.