Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Archive through May 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Award Alert: OD wins the OLD Goat of Mapleridge award for 2008.

Award Alert: Arizona Educator and Gelding win the Equine Ballroom Dance award. They lead all other entrants with a smooth version of the TANGO.... Judge S. Reynolds was the deciding vote.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES & OD: Primary candidates for the Old Goats and Old Farts Denby Tars Award...based upon their goatnads.

(Message edited by GoBlue on May 01, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Award Committee: Each judge will hold the GOATnads while the awardee coughs.... Jjaba will be the judge ... right?

ES 61: proudly, Supporting the Denby name change to Diekoff HS.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CNN News Flash: ES sells goats and burns Mary Jane fields. Forms alliance with SH to develop new flock and grow Billy Goat Weed.

Goblue

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMIGAWD...ES...you aren't saying that Jjaba is Coach Rice's illegitimate son are you?...how does one say "skin back" in Yiddish?

GB...public defender for those wrongly accused by A. Diekoff.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Skin back? What about "turn around, bend over, and spread 'em?" Turned out to be good training for the business world.

Goblue

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Have to wonder about the teacher prep programs those people attended.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I'm sure some of them ended up working for you.

Goblue

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Sad but true...although we tried like hell to get rid of them...with moderate success.

Goblue

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the other hand Denby had some brilliant teachers...Paul Lux in English was one of those...demanding and interesting.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Word from the back stairwell at DHS is that you and an Algebra teacher ( J Shanbrom) were.... well lets say VERY friendly.... at both DHS and Ballduck. In other news my first goat was a 1966 GTO ...sold it for a 65 Vette.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Nope...I'll plead innocent to that one...although for a 40ish math teacher while not really a fox...was not bad lookin'. I will confess to intense sixteen year old fantasies over a typing teacher named Clair Johnson who was very likely just out of college...an incredible fox then...and likely still today.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: have you forgotten the Columbus Fox....NO - Not E. Fruend - the liberty bell with ahead.... Ms. Stephanie (sP)....like a 7th grade teacher....who actually was after a Mr. Monroe.....

C Johnson felt sorry for you when you finally made 17 WPM...and you received a token D-....

Goblue

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Sorry...I don't recall a 7th grade teacher...for damn sure I don't remember any foxes at Columbus...I do remember Mr. Monroe...he had a real thing for my 4th grade teacher Nina Jason who incidently was very close to being a fox. Believe me...at Denby I would have accepted any grade from Claire J...along with anything else...I would have considered myself lucky...very, very lucky! She couldn't have been more than five years older than we were.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember any foxes from Columbus either, but I do remember a couple bears ... Monson and Petty. Petty was the only one in the school meaner than Monson. :-(

I don't remember if they were Miss or Mrs. but I pity their husbands if the latter.

Goblue

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You're right...Petty was meaner than a junk yard dog...she was married to Coach "Skin Back" Rice. She must have had other skills that had nothing to do with a classroom. I remember her pulling D.R.'s ears in second grade because he couldn't read well...he was later diagnosed as dyslectic. She would have been easy to fire...even the teacher unions wouldn't have defended her.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I remember Petty pulling on ES too, which explains why all his children are adopted.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember what year I had Ms. Petty, but I do remember her yelling at the whole class all the time. Can you say EID? No telling how many little psyches she wounded and spirits she crushed. Who knows, one of us might have developed a cure cancer by now.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/GB: Petti Rice gene pool I am sure was an interesting combo!
I do remember meeting Rice's son....Jr I think! Didn't they live in GP????

Goblue

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunno where they lived...don't even know how I knew that they were a pair. She taught second grade...a real mean, sadistic bitch...she had no business being in a classroom.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard of Petty is when she killed Xena, princess warrior.

Goblue

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nuthin' would surprise me...I have no idea why the Columbus administration would have tolerated her.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB/OD: Admin. tolerate ... Petty, Monson, Fruend, to just name a few for years destroyed the self-concept of 100's of children....thank god that schools are better today ... they truly are!!

ES 61 Proudly, Trying to support good teaching at the Grad Level

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the women's movement had been around in the '50s some of these could have been longshoremen (longshorepersons?) at the Port of Detroit instead of teachers.

Goblue

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: Teachers and schools truly are better today...the kind of vicious crap those people routinely inflicted on kids is not tolerated today.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Just think GB we worked our brains off and did make a difference... Good for us!
ES 61 proudly, MSU educated and 40+ years in Education.

Goblue

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah...you're right...at the end I was pretty burned out...too many years of 60 hour weeks...union owned board members...but...from the perspective of a few years I think we did make a difference and that schools are better now due to our collective efforts.

GB: Proudly WMU & U-M educated and 45 years (and still counting) of front line service for kids.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Another chapter about those who moved in a forward direction and supporting children.... Long hours for sure ... but I still like hanging out doing the consulting role for local school districts ... and teaching Grad students who hopefully can continue what is important to children.

Goblue

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My work these days...other than a very occasional international consulting job...is strictly at the board level...the AZ Early Childhood Board... and local community college foundation board...every once in a while I look at current salaries and think I quit about five years too soon.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: True about the salaries these days ... but being able to pick and choose is cool too......

ES 61 Proudly, Still Psyching Myself out!