Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Wings/Stars » Archive through May 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping it would work out this way.

Game one of the conference finals is Thursday.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is much to hate about the Stars.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7752
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's to hate? They just happen to wear the opposing team's colors. That's reason enough to beat them, pure & simple.

It'll be two relatively healthy teams going at it for the right to fight for the Stanley Cup. Gone are the teams depleted by injuries. We'll be facing a healthy Dallas team. At last check, they only list Stu Barnes as being day-to-day. Now what this quadruple OT did to Dallas will remain to be seen. How fast they can recover and face a rested Wings team will be interesting to see in game one.

7andkelly

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For one, I hate their uniforms. Two, their team is filled with jerks like Morrow, Barnes, Turco, Ribiero, Primodano, Ott, Eriksson, Lundqvist, Daley, Robidas, and Hagman. Three, their ice is slushy. Four, their team was stolen from Minnesota. Five, Hull is a double-agent traitor.

Stars...I cantstanzia!

7andkelly

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Six, I'm pretty sure they're harboring terrorists, funding insurgents, and working on a secret nuclear weapons program.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly, I agree. Those are the worst uniforms in the NHL. The ice was horrid, and with the Texas heat,don't expect it to get any better. The puck bounced all over the rink last night. I expected to see a fluke goal for the winner, but Morrow got a good tip in to send the Sharks to the golf course.

On the good side of the Wings playing the Stars. They don't have to travel to San Jose this year, so no long flights to the coast. Detroit's team is deeper, has more balanced scoring, and Detroit's defense is so much better. The Wings have also "owned" Turko, and if the Stars Defense plays like they played against San Jose, the Wings should win.

Unfortunately, my wish for an original six final is now kaput. If the Wings get to the finals, I don't think I want to see Pittsburgh, and Sid the Kid. Let the east kick the crap out each other for 7 games, as there is a good rivalry over there.

Anyway, GO WINGS, ALL THE WAY TO THE CUP!

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thoughts......

- Stars/Sharks..... I wasn't really sure about whom we would have rather faced. The Sharks have been slumping pretty hard this playoffs and don't tell me their team is not beat up. On the contrary, the Stars have been clicking, and their guns have been making up for the lack of depth in the roster. I personally think we would have been better with the Sharks. You can't look at just the seeds and last years playoff matchup.

- Hornists comments about travel are very true. lees travel can only be good for us.

- I think the wings are playing their A game right now and it's so nice to see it in the post season. The true Stanley matchup would have to be WINGS/PENGUINS.

- Even if our top line has trouble putting up points, Franzen will be good for at least 4-6 goals this series. He's a monster right now. Just a treat to watch.

- Couldn't be more at ease with Ozzie in net. He will definitely be the better between him and Turco.

- Keys to the Game: Silencing Morrow, Richards and Ribeiro. These guys are hot and hopefully we have a plan for them. (Draper shadow)

Smogboy

Post Number: 7755
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the easiest way to silencing those guys is by maintaining puck possession and scoring when we do have it. Both of the teams we just faced had some guns on their team but could never really get on track offensively because they were back playing defense. Look at the shot totals from nearly every game Detroit has been in this year (regular season too) and we've dominated in that category- and that doesn't even count the shots that were blocked, clanged off of the posts or were slightly wide of the target.

What I'm looking forward to seeing is how Marty Turco is going to deal with the likes of a hopefully healthier Holmstrom in front of him AND the likes of a Franzen coming on the second wave. He's never been a fan of traffic in front and to contend with that is going to be a handful for his defense as well as him having to be slightly out of position to see the puck coming.

7andkelly

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sb: Yes, and elevate their game, and pay the price. That open ice collision between Morrow and Kronwall will be interesting.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stars will need to stay out of the penalty box to have a chance, and that won't be easy. This series should be starting on Tuesday.

7andkelly

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have preferred a 1:00 PM game today. DROP THE PUCK!

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This series should be starting Tuesday. The Wings need to avoid the 2006 Detroit Tigers syndrome where a 4 game sweep followed by a long layover resulted in a total loss of momentum and confidence.

For Dallas to win the cup they will need to beat Anaheim, San Jose and Detroit: arguably the three best teams in the league (on paper). Two down and one to go...it should be an interesting series.

I for one would not mind a Detroit-Pittsburgh final: two teams that play well defensively that have gobs of speed and offensive talent.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7757
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great point about Dallas IF they were to make it to the Stanley Cup Finals there, Upinottawa. They've already proven themselves worthy just by beating Anaheim & San Jose. Detroit cannot take them lightly; obviously they've done something right in order to make it this far.

Watching a chunk of that monstrous OT game last night it reminded me of that OT game Detroit played in Carolina where Igor Larionov won it in 3OT by hoisting a backhand over Arters Irbe. Detroit still mustered up the energy then to win the next series as well. I'm starting to wonder how much a game like that can and will take out of these Stars players. Is it even going to be a factor regarding fatigue? Or is it going to be a galvanizing moment for them like the Larionov goal was for us in 2002?

Like Mickey Redmond says, "Ain't no place for a nervous person!" and it's so right! Playoff hockey is amazing... and it's so much better that we still have our Red Wings to cheer for at this time of the year too.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO - Dallas was better than Anaheim. It was equally matched with the San Jose team, who unfortunately, had a tough time getting any momentum.

Detroit will definitely be in for its toughest series yet. If we get by Dallas, we will most likely face yet again our toughest series in Pittsburgh.

Smogboy - Here's to hoping the Star's legs feel like mashed potatoes today.

Downriviera

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sluggish today myself from watching all the ots last nite. Funny how the refs let everything go for 3 ots, than called penalties in the fourth ot. But if they didn't give the Stars that pp, they might still be playing. Which reminds me, that was a horrible call in the Wash/Philly game 7 ot. An inadvertent trip at center ice in a game 7 ot mind you, and the ref calls it. Flyers score on pp. I felt bad for the Caps fans/owner. Let the players decide it. And the NHL missed out on their dream eastern conf final matchup, Ovechkin vs Crosby. I think the Flyers will upset Pens. Poor ice conditions in Dallas could help the Stars, but not enough to beat the Wings.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7766
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if you don't have Versus on your cable system, you're hosed for the first THREE games of this series too. So for those of us who don't have it, it's gonna be off to a buddy's house or to the sports bar to watch the Wings.

What a bummer not to be in the comfort of my own living room cheering our team on. Oh well, gotta improvise.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, fyi: Saturday's game will be broadcasted on Hockey Night in Canada.

On game days in Detroit, do the Red Wings set up a large tv screen to let fans outside the Joe view the game (like many other cities)?

7andkelly

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks UIO. I will usually switch to CBC without the cable box to avoid the additional 8 to 10 seconds of delay. How can you root for your team to score a goal, when you know it's already been decided one way or another? Of course, the CBC sound is off, and Ken and Paul from radio are on. Cal was a surprisingly seamless transition from Martin IMO.

We have Comcast and so we have Versus. But they're really starting to cheese my off. They're moving all their good channels to the higher box required area. While I have a box for one TV, it's not much help for the other seven (violin music here). If I'm going to be forced to get more boxes, I'm going to dish.

Downriviera

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else notice the picture on CBC is not as good as Versus or NBC. I have Comcast. I'd rather watch the games on CBC, but the picture seems darker, even though its the same feed I believe.

Downriviera

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upinottawa,

The Wings promote watching the game at Hockeytown Cafe, a bar/restaurant owned by the Ilitches. For road games they used to open up the Joe to watch on the jumbo screen, big party with bands and stuff, not sure if they are doing that this year.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would appear that Games 2, 5, 6, and 7 (if necessary) will be on CBC.

No doubt the Wings promote the Hockeytown Cafe (LOL)! It would be cool if the Wings arranged to set up large screens in Hart Plaza and in Dieppe Park (Windsor) to encourage fans to watch the games on both sides of the river (I could see the helicopter shots on tv right now...).

Of course, there is no money to be made there, only goodwill....

7andkelly

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chelli's Chili Bar across from COPA has the big screen on the roof patio.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Of course, there is no money to be made there, only goodwill....

First they need to sellout the arena.

When they've opened the Joe to show the away games, I believe that the proceeds have gone to a charity.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone does not have Versus, there is a way to obtain the TSN feed via computer. Go to justin.tv and click on sports. Look for a channel called richsportsonline. Click on that and there you go.

Downriviera

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally we drop the puck tonight. I was starting to lose interest.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<<<<<<< tapping the desk in anticipation!

Tkshreve

Post Number: 318
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Conjuring ways to get out of work early!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rafalski Shoots and SCORES!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Filppula Scores!!

4-0 in the 2nd!!

oops...Morrow scores, 4-1

At least the Red Wings know how to win...

7andkelly

Post Number: 415
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WINGS WIN! YES!
Yo, ho. O, E, O! Yo, ho. O, E, O!