Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Well, Stones are ready to tip off

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 554
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, stick with the Pistons today. It don't look good for the puddytats right now. Although, we do have a run.
And there is always the Wings game tonight.

Jcole

Post Number: 556
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, there's always the Wings.

Zitro

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stones have come back

Zitro

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stones have come back

Jcole

Post Number: 557
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that now. i was outside for a few, raking up some winter junk, so I'm not keeping up real well.

Jcole

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I think I'll go back outside. They seem to do better if I'm not looking.

Zitro

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job JC stay away for another 6:25

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 418
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay stones!

Jcole

Post Number: 563
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I did my part. I stayed away.

Jcole

Post Number: 564
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, perhaps, I will stay away from the Wings.

Zitro

Post Number: 384
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHEEW!

Jcole

Post Number: 565
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real squeaker, huh? I just saw it after the end when the ref was checking on the foul, and I thought I had tuned in too soon, and ruined it all.
But they were safe.

Zitro

Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 out of three today. Not bad

Jcole

Post Number: 570
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Batting .66 is definitely good.
Cheap shot at the end of the Wings game, tho.
I hope he gets fined or something.

Zitro

Post Number: 386
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like Ozzie got a cheap shot in before that happened

Jcole

Post Number: 573
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, yeah, but that's OUR team. :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 387
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True

Jcole

Post Number: 581
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, well, the guy is in for it at the next game, if I'm any judge of the look on Darrin McCarty's face.

Zitro

Post Number: 388
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, he's a marked target for sure. He might even get a taste of Octupi

7andkelly

Post Number: 422
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're waiting for Cfg to post her new pictures of St. Jude's...

Back to Old St. Mary's:

Jc: The grottos especially seem evident of that influence. See link for more interesting history.

http://www.oldstmarysdetroit.c om/%3Cb%3EOur-Church%3C-b%3E.p hp

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K and all - new pics of outside of Church, Gym, School, Convent and Rectory - taken today - Inside pics to follow - see Facebook
Enjoy
CFG

Zitro

Post Number: 389
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Great Pics! Thank you very much

Jcole

Post Number: 601
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, CFG. I love the pictures, and the new reunion ones.
Is the statue niche without a statue still on the wall at the far end of the school?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Thanks for the pix on facebook. The bell tower pic from the courtyard was especially interesting. You really showed the magnificence of the church building.

Jcole

Post Number: 602
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going out in a while, but I will post some old shots of my sister's 1957 wedding in front of the church when I get back.
It's amazing how little has changed

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're very welcome - and yes, J, the statute niche is still there -and very much empty. It caught my eye once again this morning. What also caught my eye - is that I have A LOT of cleaning up to do! :-)

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 & Kelly/Kelly Road,

When I went to SJS, music class consisted of sitting on colorful donated shag carpet squares and singing religious songs. Mr. Kometz came and started to teach us show tunes. We didn't have a band. I remember we once had music class in the basement of the church and Mr. Schaeffer tried to teach music but he wasn't a teacher and that didn't last.

I was in Larry Egan's band at ND. I have a ton of stories so expect them. Almost everyone that was in the band went to college for music. Some really good players started there. Walt Szymanski (ND grad) took over for Larry when he had cancer. We interviewed him on Detroit Jazzstage and I asked him a few questions about that time. I don't remember if it made it into the show. Check out jazzstage.us if you are interested.

How many remember that wonderful 50's milk machine? Wouldn't it be great to own that thing. I recall it being blue with a great 50's era cartoon kids face on it. Milk was 10 cents and went up to 15 cents while I was there. We would buy two or three boxes of chocolate milk and have contests to see who could drink them the fastest. We would also see who could get a friend to laugh milk out of their nose. Does anyone happen to have any pictures of the hallway that shows the milk machine?

(Message edited by Jazzstage on May 11, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 433
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage: Did you used to sing 'Cum ba ya' or 'Sons of God'? We did. In third grade, Sr. Judeen, The Singing Nun, played her guitar and led us in song. A great memory for me.

I'm surprised the milk machine was still there. I plunked many a well spent nickel in there for those most tasty and refreshing chocolate milk treats. My preferred method of delivery was using a straw, but I did my share of guzzling in my day. And yes, I'm still referring to the chocolate milk. I don't remember chortling milk out of my nose, but it was always fun to watch.

It is my intention to take some home video inside the school, possibly as early as this summer. If the milk machine is there, I will capture it.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on May 12, 2008)

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage: During the early to mid 60s SJS actually had an excellent music/band program. When Larry Eagan came in around 1962-63 there were many students in both the junior and senior band. Along with concerts the band also played at the football games during half time. The junior band even got to march in formation without playing an instrument......a lot of kids involved in that music program. The involvement in the music program mirrored the size of the CYO sports programs at the time. The football team in the 50s and 60s were of yearly championship caliber. St. Jude Playfield on football Sundays were jammed packed (remember the size of the parish and school at the time were the largest in the Arch Diocese). One of the highlights was marching at the bluejug game vs. St. Raymond at the old De LaSalle HS field under the lights....

BTW I recall two milk machines at SJS...one in the front 7 mile hall near the Redmond exit and one on the Maddelein side. Milk at that time was a nickle. It was Farm Maid brand and came in a cubed box with a foil opening on one corner. Chortling milk via a straw of course is a time honored tradition that's been carried through many decades at SJS...too bad it's coming to an end.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 12, 2008)