Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through May 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Dumars had a closed door meeting with the players only at half-time. He threatened them with firing Flip, and then hiring a real coach.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean Flub Saunders

7andkelly

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Flip" is the attitude he takes during the playoffs.

Zitro

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And rhe team does the same

7andkelly

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, they played "DEEE TROIT ..." over their PA. Smart move taunting us like that. Just as bad as McLeod picking up the Octopus at JLA.

Zitro

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This game is not going well. Weaver's pitching backwards and they can't see it. I hear the singing hot dog guy

7andkelly

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice play Grandy.

Verlander is running out of gas. Get the pen ready now!

7andkelly

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TOO LATE!

7andkelly

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've given up! It's Miner warming up.

Zitro

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His 6th innings are like Bondo's firsts.

7andkelly

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old man is nuts...tonight anyway.

This game reminds me I gotta take out my garbage.

I'm out.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6384
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it was a fun night at the ballpark anyhow. It wasn't nearly as cold as they said it would be, and it didn't rain at all. No more late games on a Sunday for me though. ZZZZzzzzz...

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers trade Grilli to Rockies for a pitching prospect. Ah yes, that mountain air will do wonders for the ERA.

7andkelly

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One down. One to go.

Jason Grilli was a class player, and I wish him well, unless we play him in a game, and then I hope he gives up a ton of runs. When he was on he was fun to watch, but when he wasn't, well...you know...not so much.

Now do they do the right thing and trade/release/DL Miner when Willis comes back, or do they toss their best starter so far this season down to the minors?

Zitro

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marcus goes bye-bye 2 run shot

Zitro

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christmas came early, I thought they would never dump Grilli. I was beginning to think he had pictures on Leyland like Millen has on Ford

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6446
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT GOD ALMIGHTY, GRILLI IS GONE! Have fun in Colorado. I still say he should have gone on Monster.com and found himself an office job. This is better than a win.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6447
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now do they do the right thing and trade/release/DL Miner when Willis comes back, or do they toss their best starter so far this season down to the minors?

Who's the best starter this season? Kenny has the best W/L, Bonderman has the best ERA at this point.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honest to God, Johnlodge, I couldn't agree more. Dumping Grilli truly IS better than a Win.

Zitro

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My eyes must be deceiving me. Poly hits 2 out and Bondo's still pitching in the 8th. This seems surreal

7andkelly

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenny is 2-3 with a 6.75.
Bonderman (before a great game today was 1-2 with a 4.28.
Galarraga is 2-0 with a 1.50.

Since Kenny, Bondo, Verlander, Willis and Robertson aren't going anywhere, all I'm saying is keep Galarraga up here working in the pen.

Miner should go instead.

7andkelly

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that Grandy's back, Poly is back to his old reliable self.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7705
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beating the Yankees is never a bad thing. Never! Way to go Bondo!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see Bonderman go to the 8th. I didn't see the game, only the box...did he pitch well? The box would indicate that he did. He has shown that if he has his command, he can dominate the Yankees pretty much solely on inside fastballs and then sliders.

Personally, if our choices with Bonderman are:

1. consistency throughout the game, but average pitching
2. poor starts, but stellar overall pitching

I'll take #2 every game. Period. Especially with this offense. If your thing is giving up runs in the first and then shutting teams down for 6-7 more, do it. Do it. This team will score 3 and you'll win 3-2. Just keep it to those 2.

quote:

Leyland visited Bonderman after he ran into trouble in the first.

"You don't want to know what I told him, I can tell you that," Leyland said.

Love it.

(Message edited by focusonthed on May 01, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take #3. stellar overall pitching with consistency throughout the game.

Bonderman's consistency was his problem in that he consistently gave up runs in bunches for the first two innings.

He's doing much better now, even if Leland has to go out to the mound and slap him around once in a while!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7710
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one thing I love about Jim Leyland. He never has to tell you everything. He's not a media hog where he has to have the spotlights shining on him. He doesn't need to coach through the media; he tells his troops up front and personal. What he told Jeremy Bonderman the other day was between them and it obviously worked. No need to publicly embarrass a player- just tell him man-to-man what is expected of him and when. I think players respect that and possibly even fear it to a certain degree. A bit of healthy respect for the skipper isn't a bad thing; far too often multi-millionaire players seem to be too full of themselves and forget what role their managers, coaches and GMs do.

Again, in Leyland I trust.

7andkelly

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well put Sb.

Zitro

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto

Smogboy

Post Number: 7719
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn. Did I miss my calling to be a sports columnist or what?

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) :-) :-)