Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 619
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, I posted some pictures on FB from my sisters wedding in 1958 at the church, which was allegedly the first wedding in the upstairs new church.

Jcole

Post Number: 620
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I got my baptismal cert from SJ. It was Fr. Reckinger in my baptism picture.
I made my First Communion on May 10,1964 and Confirmation on March 3, 1967

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 434
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jc. I can't wait to see them.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: What a great addition to SJ facebook...the first wedding. Thanks for the addition. Zitro hit the nail on the head. That was Jack Benny behind your sister.

BTW,Interestingly, we all made our confirmation in the 5th grade back then.

Jcole

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When do they confirm now? Isn't it older?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: FIGHT, FIGHT Why don't you and Smogboy just drop the gloves go after it and it wil be all done.

(Message edited by zitro on May 12, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: It's all just dining room table banter, and a fun way to pass the time until the game starts. It's like chess, but no one loses.

Zitro

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw man, I wanted to see a good knock down drag em out brawl. Can't you guys pretend your Probbie and Domi like the good old days.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It IS Jack Benny -
Who confirmed us in the 5th grade? I don't remember.

Jcole

Post Number: 630
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would have been Archbishop Dearden, but I'm not positive. My sister was my sponsor, so when she gets back from vacation, I'll ask her if she remembers.

Zitro

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I think you're right

Kellyroad

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better late than never: The above article from the 51 SJ Calendar is an article regarding Mother's Day. In the same issue is a 17 point list of a "Portrait of a Successful Father" included are:
#16 a father who exemplifies in his family the qualities of a true Christian gentleman helps his daughter to a true evaluation of men and thus prepares them for future life.
#17 If a boy's ideals and inspiration do not come from his gather they will not come to him at all.

Some advice is timeless isn't it?

Included in the same issue is an article regarding the WIMAKI group. Does anyone know the history of the WIMAKI group (JCole, Eastburn?)

The scribe's description of the softball team's defeat over Resurrection brought a smile..."We hope they will be as succesful when they meet stiffer competion"....What a gamer!

Another point of interest from a historical perspective is the request for drivers to take the ladies to and from a retreat. How many ladies drove in 1951 or had a extra family car?

Jcole

Post Number: 633
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only thing I can figure about Wimaki would be something to do with Campfire girls or something similar for the boys. I'm not finding anything on the internet about it.

7andkelly

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Short for women's hockey?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above 3 ads are from the 1951 SJ Calendar. I believe the Chatham Village Super Market located on Kelly at Washtenaw was the 1st Chatham grocery store. There was another Chatham a few blocks north in Kelly Rd years later. I'm wondering if the cleaners were run by the same family (look at the addresses). The Chatham Inn is located on the same block where later Aldos and much later Jay's Paper Station were to be located. Does anyone know the history of that far northeast section of Detroit/Harperwoods? Was it called Chatham Village hence the names of the above businesses?

7andkelly

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: To clarify, "chortling milk out of your nose" is when you laugh while drinking and the milk comes out through your nose. But your straw reference does trigger another memory in that we used to blow into the milk carton through the straw making a cool noise like a fish aquarium filter, and creating bubbles until they nearly overflowed.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Thanks, I had an idea that chort or snort with or without a straw with or without laughing were pretty much in the same category of creative ways of using 8 ounces of chocolate or white milk.

Zitro

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Congratulations! You had post number 1000 on our little old thread. Keep up the good work everyone!

Jcole

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I kind of wondered about all the Chatham stuff on our end of town, too, but I don't know the answer.
I do think the original Chatham might have been where the Alinosi's was when I was a kid.
The bigger Chatham where my parents always shopped was on the Harper Woods side of Kelly across from the end of Manning. It's now owned by the Sheena family. They own a bunch of Spartan stores all around the city, including one up here in Romeo.

7andkelly

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: You may be onto something. Was Chatham Village similar to an official subdivision, or was it an informal ethnic community? Perhaps it was the name given to a shopping center.

Jcole

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this out. It's the Chatham employees and customer memories web site.
http://www.connellcreationsunl imited.com/Chatham/index.html

7andkelly

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't "Staff" their store brand?

Zitro

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see the Shaheens dad on there

Zitro

Post Number: 397
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.connellcreationsunl imited.com/Chatham/images/C18. jpg

Zitro

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe Fragnoli's in this one

http://www.connellcreationsunl imited.com/Chatham/images/C5.j pg

Jcole

Post Number: 636
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the quiz on the Chatham site, which I flunked miserably, Staff was indeed their brand.

I tried to find a history of Chatham stores, but all I can find is that they were owned by Royal Supermarkets, and were on a par with Kroger.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Z-
I remember Mr. Shaheen very well - very nice man. I think he managed the Chathams on Kelly. Pam Zawicki's Mom used to work at the Chathams at Kelly & Morang. - down the street from the Indian Village Cleaners where I had one of my first jobs - until they wouldn't let me leave early to go to a Tigers 72 playoff came - Option given by manager was go to game, don't come back... short career...not a great first career choice, but I loved working the conveyor to bring the clothes to the front!

7andkelly

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry owns a Hallmark store out near Union Lake.

Zitro

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Mr. Shaheen ran the Kelly-Morang store, but you may be right.

7andkelly

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sure he was a Clipper at Wishegan.