Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through May 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Good for you! I have always thought that Spartan Green & White should be used as universal prison uniform colors. It would make the cons easy to identify.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Don't forget.... pros AND cons. The green & white stripes will help us identify the cons. ES knows the pros (and their price), thus explaining his ease of getting dates at MSU.

Goblue

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I hadn't thought about MSU having pros...I knew for certain that there was an above average number of talented amateurs on that campus...and that ES "knew" many of them.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/GB: You older gay guys will be able to have a chapter in the book regarding you both coming out of the closet.... maybe Howie T might be contacted in regards to adding some of you HS experiences fro that era...

Goblue

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Howie? Howie? The name doesn't ring a bell...he must have been in the '61 class.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Dust off the 59 yearbook......you are in several pic with H.T. Did he go to WMU to preach the gospel????? No! OD was not H.T. so fess up about some of those ballduck experiences... It's OK to let us know now!
ES 61 Proudly, Helping my friends come clean....

Goblue

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Nope...no Howie in the '59 book...only SR doing a high leap in her cheerleader uniform...ah, the memories.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I will scan the pics.... He was fond of you... or fondled you...
but Howie T was the main man in your era..... except for the time that J rice caught some individuals up on the track....and brought them down in front of a FULL PE class....Not good!

Goblue

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Not a chance...the main man was Ed Budde...one big dude! SR was the primary fox.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I think that you might have attended Pershing - Mackenzie or one of the other DHS look-a-likes.....Howie was an interesting "dude" as they even say today....

ES 61 Proudly, Helping 59ers remember it all

Goblue

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Okay, okay...Howie was in the '59 class...one of the more "interesting" characters...also, unfortunately he's in the cheerleader pic with SR...but there ain't no comparison.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: a man of the cloth like you ... Your role as Father Bananahead ... and you ask? "Ain't no Comparison" - FBH: it all depends upon what you are comparing ... Right! "DUDE".... SR remains the FOX that played a large role in making you a better person. (cough...cough ....cough)

ES 61 Proudly, Supporting those who came out in '59

Goblue

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: 'N thas the truth, by God! She did indeed make me a bigger person. She really was a neat fox...one of those that one thinks back about and wonders..."Maybe I shoulda". One of those forks in the road.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: CArefull father ... You have always advised the flock to not LOOK back and just enjoy the memories ... but the what if's are fun sometimes.....

ES 61 Proudly, Supporting OD and what if he didn't move to CA

Goblue

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah, the "what if's are fun".especially when I think about "What if I hadn't married SE59"! Let's see...gallons of tears, tens of thousands of dollars, never ending grief! Three tours in Viet Nam would have been preferable.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: At least I have fond memories of SE - and not SE 59 Life is funny that way.... My draft board (which must have been yours too) thought that SE was equal to VNam..... and only made me go down to fort Wayne for the Physical.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah, we must have had the same draft board...but by then I was a teacher, married...and by the time VN heated up, a kid...my deferments kept me out...me and the vice-president who "had other things to do"...of course the spinal cord with ears was drunk down in Mobile while AWOL from the Texas National Guard.

I went to the sup't I worked for...Robert S. Tower...he'd been an Air Force POW during WWII...and asked him if I should volunteer...he told me that he needed me more than the military did...that settled the question...but I did think about it...anything to get away from SE59.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, are you talking about Prof. Tower from Oakland, by any chance. Great guy. Had him for several classes.

Jcole

Post Number: 541
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, disregard above. That was John Tower.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Are you thinking of John Tower (not Robert) of Economics and Management (Business Administration)?

Goblue

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: John could have been a brother...I know that RST had some...the man commanded respect...none of us ever called him anything but "Sir"...or if we were being casual "Mr. T."...one of the finest men I ever knew...and in many ways a father figure for several of us.

Jcole

Post Number: 542
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, OD, that's exactly who I was thinking of. An imposing guy, until you got to know him, and then he was the nicest guy ever. If you were interested in computing, and showed it, he was your friend.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: The name is very familiar to me. I was in the OU computer center from '66 to '76. According to some things I found on the Internet he started at OU in '68. So we had a 8 year overlap although I never met him personally.

Jcole

Post Number: 543
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had him for three classes in 98-99. He was a tall, thin, white-haired guy with glasses. He came across as scary and aloof at first, but was really very nice and funny. He helped me get a job interview at Cranbrook(which I didn't get due to distance) and was always available to talk to. He was instrumental in getting the new Business school built on Oakland's campus.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 203
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Did you know that OU was originally founded as a branch of Michigan State? But the stigma of being associated with MSU made it difficult to attract quality students. In 1970, the Michigan Legislature recognized the maturity and stature of Oakland University by granting it autonomy, and the quality of the applicants improved immeasurably from that time forward.

Goblue

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/Jc: Ooooh boy...now you two have done it!

Jcole

Post Number: 550
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I did know that.
Go Grizzlies!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I always respected Jc and her insight ... if it wasn't for MSU laying the ground work for MSU-O and then OU ... where would you be.... So now for the next two hundred messages GB (father Bananahead and OD will be wacking away MSU) Have fun ... but the truth is that MSU still is the actual University of Michigan.... so go at it .... so Jc it is now up to you to choose sides once again....

ES61 Proudly, Totally a Spartan - Go Green and Grizzlies

Jcole

Post Number: 561
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, as much as I respect your insights and opinions, my dream, no, my heart's desire, was to attend U of M. Unfortunately, they aren't big on giving scholarships to 43 year old mothers, so I ended up at OU. this is NOT to say that MSU isn't a fine institution. But who wants to be institutionalized?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Thanks for the respect... as a true eastsider would do ... but there is NO DOUBT that MSU is the university of MIchigan..... You would have done well at MSU at age 18 - age 43 or whenever... but get ready for GB and OD to take shots at the spartans.