Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just sent an email to the contact us person on the Chatham site asking if they have any history of the store up on Kelly or Chatham in general. I'll let you know if they reply

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on the Clippers, he was a couple years older though. I'll have to check the official records. I know he played W.E.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right. He was probably SJCO68.

Zitro

Post Number: 401
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Refer to choir pic. 4th row in center in between Joe Kaiser and Tom Hess in front of Larry O'Brian. There's Joe

7andkelly

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did he go on to play college ball?

Zitro

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know.

Zitro

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K; Did you know Ron Duveyoung? Not from SJS but from W.E. and Parks & Rec ball?

Jcole

Post Number: 639
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, who's the kid in the choir pic front row third from the left?

Zitro

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig Langlois they were cousins of the Porths

Jcole

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were there other Lanlois kids? That name is so familiar.

7andkelly

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: When I said "pretty sure he was a Clipper", you know I meant Larry, and not Joe, right? Everyone knew of Joe Fragnoli, but I didn't know him personally. Nor Ron. All you guys were just a bit older.

7andkelly

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nancy Langlois, SJCO72.

Zitro

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Oops, yes Larry was a Clipper, sorry my mind reading is a little off center today.

Zitro

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: The only reason I mentioned Ron is that he passed away about a year ago. He was a guard at Jackson. He was a hell of a ballplayer.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 451
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great links to Chathams: Emil Shaheen was an Eastwood neighbor on Eastwood with many kids at SjS. Joe Fragnoli was a 67 graduate with me at SJ and NDHS

Hopefully, we will get a definitive answer to the age old eastside question. Where was the very first Chatham? I'm guessing the Chatham Village Market.

One of the questions about Chatham store managers gave Helen Mazolla as a choice. Helen was a cashier at Kelly and Morang Chatham and I believe lived on 7MI between Rex and Crusade and mom to Sal and Chris both at SJS

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 12, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 451
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We sometimes shopped at Krogers at Eastland, or Wrigleys at Moross and Mack, but mostly we went to the Chatham's in Harper Woods, and mostly it was a great store. But, sometimes we would be eating the very worst canned this or that, and then we would find out it was "Staff" and go: "Mom, are we poor"?

Pretty much after I outgrew that cool seat in the cart, is when I stopped going to the grocery stores with my Mom.

I loved going to Polla's with my Dad on Saturdays. I would run in and get our "number". There was always a bit of a wait, but not too tragic. There were always ample samples, and by the time we left, well, let's just say I could skip easily skip lunch.

The bakeries were fun too. There was one at 7 and Kelly that always gave me a large sugar cookie every time I went in there, and another couple of good ones I remember. One was Tringalies, which I believe was not too far from Polla's and another one closer to Morang and Kelly. We would get a lot of Rye, Russian Rye and Pumpernickel all preferably sliced thin. People were usually happy in bakeries most of the time from my memory.

Jcole

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was Sweetheart Bakeery on Kelly near the end of Maddelein. I didn't remember Tringali's being on Kelly. That's not to say it wasn't, I just don't remember it. I remember Alinosi's ice cream tho. Yum. Another happy place.

7andkelly

Post Number: 453
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My most vivid memories are food related, and specifically sweets. I was on such a perpetual sugar high most of the time, I'm surprised I remember anything.

I can still hear the man singing from his truck: "Strawberries, strawberries, 4 quarts for a dollar". And I can still taste the root beer popsicles the Good Humor man used to sell.

Maybe Tringalis was the one nearer to Morang and Kelly. I think maybe one or both of Tringalis or Sweetheart moved during my time on the eastside.

Jcole

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the fruit and vegetable guy, too. One of my faves was the Awrey man, with the Long John coffee cakes, and the best Cinnamon bread in the world.
Then of course there was Mr. Softee, the ice cream truck that came around and sold soft serve ice cream cones. Horrible name, though.
If someone asked you what you did for a job, you had to answer, I'm Mr. Softee?

7andkelly

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Alinosi's was a special treat! I also got hooked on 31 Flavors (Morang near Cadieux) at a very early age...well actually only one flavor, Rocky Road, and specifically Root Beer Floats with Rock Road ice cream.

7andkelly

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, much better to say, "I'm a Good Humor Man".

That'll shut 'em up at the 20 year reunion.

Jcole

Post Number: 677
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved 31 Flavors pistachio ice cream.
Does anyone remember Brown's dairy up on 9 or 10 mile. They were a dairy store that made their own ice cream. My dad was an ice cream fanatic and he would take us up there on occasion. It was awesome. Huge scoops. Always had to get 2 scoops at 31 Flavors, but only 1 at Brown's.

7andkelly

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the gum out of Topps Baseball Cards packs. If I bought 10 packs, all 10 sticks of gum were in my mouth at the same time. Kept Dr. Shipko's office in business all by myself.

Jcole

Post Number: 678
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I loved that bubble gum, too. I don't remember buying too many baseball cards, so they must have had other collector cards.

Jcole

Post Number: 679
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I actually have to get up in the morning and go fix a computer over in Oak Park, so I better get some sleep. A long ride to replace a hard drive, but I owe someone one, actually two.I get to go to West Bloomfield and fix another on Wednesday. Need to keep in practice.
Good night, whoever is out there.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good MOrning - LOVE the reminder of the fruit truck man - I SO remember his "strawberries....." Can't forget the Awrey Bakery man or the Twin Pines milk truck -
There was a Tringali's bakery just down the street from Sweetheart - on the corner - great bread!

7andkelly

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AHA! So I'm not totally nuts after all. Thanks Cfg! Kelly Road was the place to be for a kid in the 60s: The two bakeries, Tastee Freeze, Pollas' samples, Merit Drugs, beer stores...even gas stations like Marathon and Sinclair that always had fun freebies for the kids, like Dino soap and a Dino bank. Marathon's Christmas candles were fun too especially when you got to light them. A little farther down, Colonial Bank that gave out banks, another beer store and another bakery. Even the Pure Gas Station where 7 Mile ended and Moross picked up was cool. They would let you hang out there, and get air, and get candy from their neat vending machine.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all right.my turn to chime in.............let's see now...........Chatham Village incorporated into a city in the mid 50's (Harper Woods!) so any business concievibly name Chatham .....started before that......Polla's as I recall was the first Chatham's until they moved down Kelly rd. a bit and Tringali's was next to Polla's...........Jason's bakery was the one on 7 and Kelly.........and wasn't Sweetheart Bakery on the former site of the Sinclair station?........my dad always went to Sweetheart........(Candlelite lounge was next door...........an incentive I'm sure!)...all for now.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also a bakery and gift/card store next to the beer store on the corner of 7 and Kelly. Colonial Federal was my very first bank - and the place Mom always sent us for Money Orders, since no one had a checking account!

7andkelly

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S of Polla's, S of Elkhart there was a market, that may have been the location of the original Chatham's, that later was a different market, that turned into a hall in the late 60s. What was the name of the market before it became a hall, and what was the name of the hall?