Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hall's name was Ingreo's (sp?)

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 466
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That seems familiar. Was it part restaurant and part hall, or just hall?

Zitro

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only remember it as a hall. The son Tony Ingreo opened the video arcade further north on Kelly later on. I was working at Calcaterra when momma Ingreo passed away and remember she was buried with this huge rock on her finger. A few years later the family changed their mind and had her exhumed to get it back.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that this matters anymore - but was the place across from Macomb Mall with all the shops called "Tobacco Road"? That one's still bugging me!

Zitro

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Sounds right.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew! I don't know why that kept bugging me - I remember Denny McLain having a shop in there - selling what????

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Tobacco Road a head shop? Not that I'd know about such things.

Zitro

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, another brain wracker.

Zitro

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet when JC returns from her sojourn she will remember.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,
This is the first response I got from the website admin re: the Chatham stores:

My name is Joe Connell and I am the person who takes care of
the Chatham web site and I also worked for Chatham's for 18 years.
I also grew up in the area but I lived on Payton (1st street East of Kelly)
and I started working at Chatham in Oct. 1969 at the Morang & Kelly store (#8)

The store you are thinking of was at Kelly and Woodland (store #5)
I do not know why they called the stores Chatham but the owners
(the Weisberg family) were very well respected and many other businesses
may have wanted to show their respect by adding the Chatham name.

I will send a copy of this email to the 2 Weisberg brothers and hope to get
a reply with some History of Chatham that I can place on the web site
for everyone to read because it would be a great asset to the web site.

Check back in a few weeks and maybe we will have your answers.

Jcole

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And this came a little while later:

I just received this from Mark Weisberg one of the owners family children:
Hi Joe,

Store #1 which was purchased before I was born was about a block away from Store #5. It was a very small store in Harper Woods and it was named "Chatham Village" Supermarket, and the name was kept when the family purchased it. I believe that area of Harper Woods was/is Chatham Village.

Mark Weisberg

Hope we get more info from other Weisberg family members
Take care

Jcole

Post Number: 688
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, 7andK Kid, it looks like you concur with Mark W. about the origins of the area name.

Jcole

Post Number: 689
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I just now received this email:

NO... Thank YOU
Because of your email and my reply that I also sent to the Weisberg emails I have in my address book,
I just received a phone call from Florida from Mr. Bernie Weisberg (Chatham CEO 88 years old)

We talked for 30 minutes and now I am hoping we will have our 2008 Chatham Reunion
set this year for some time in September. You are welcome to visit our web site and if you want,
you can attend the Reunion too... that would surprise a lot of the people who worked for Chatham
to see our customers who loved Chatham show up to help us all remember those great days
when a customer was #1

THANK YOU
and keep in touch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joe Connell

Jcole

Post Number: 690
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tobacco Road doesn't ring quite true, but it sounds close. I'm doing some searching.
Also, I can't find anything about Denny Mclain running a store, but it would probably be a restaurant, wouldn't it??

Zitro

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure whatever he was running it wasn't too legit. Now you screwed up CFG, she was finally at peace with her thought process.

Jcole

Post Number: 691
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, do you remember the place I'm talking about. It was across from Macomb mall and had mostly Tshit shops, head shops, a couple fast food places, one of them I think was a Tubby's.
It was just a hang out in the late hippie days of the early 70's

Zitro

Post Number: 424
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Tobacco Road sounds like it, but I may frequent some those head shops too often so who knows.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 467
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc, great detective work...still a little scary:-)

So the Weisbergs bought Chatham Village which they confirm was the original Chathams location that they purchased. We have that address from the 1951 calendar so we need a google map to show if indeed it was the same building address as Ingrao's.

According to Wikipedia, Harper Woods was originally Gratiot Township. I wonder if HW archives will show Chatham Village to be an official part of what was Gratiot Township.

Jcole

Post Number: 694
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No real detective work, just an email to a very helpful guy.
But, I will be careful not to scare you any further :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 697
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the Trading Post. Tobacco Road may have been inside.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tunnel pics on facepage....

Zitro

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I told you it was the Trading Post!

Jcole

Post Number: 702
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Z
I know you did. :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job JC, you obviously didn't spend as much time in the head shops as I.

Jcole

Post Number: 703
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent time there, but I didn't use the merchandise I bought real often.
Now, the Party Stores on the other hand....

Zitro

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Stones are looking good so far. It would be nice to win tonight and give Chauncey all that time off until the next series.

Jcole

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It always cracks me up to see these guys sitting the bench dressed in a suit. I don't really know why it cracks me up, just does.
I hope he gets healing time, too.

Zitro

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a league rule they have to because they were starting to wear too much bling. It does look out of place.

Jcole

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's like a Wing having to sit the bench in a Speedo

Jcole

Post Number: 710
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, thanks for the tunnel pictures. I seem to remember being down there at least once. Maybe with my dad.