Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! Most impressive. I pictured it with a lower ceiling, and dingier. Where did you start from, the Church basement on the west side?

With Z's archives, Jc's internet skills, KR's kodachromes, 7k&k's deep memory, and Cfg in theatre with her camera, it all makes for quite a team!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, It's almost scary isn't it? :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just did a google search for the address of Chatham Village Mkt. and it looks as if the address matches up with where Ingreo's hall was.
Also, someone brought up where the Sinclair Gas station was. It was on the SE corner of Kelly and Washtenaw. There was a dry cleaner right next to it to the south(which apparently was the Chatham Village Cleaners according to my Google search) and then the Candlelite bar.

(Message edited by jcole on May 13, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. Very cool.

One remaining issue is what were the boundaries and origin of Chatham Village? We assume it was in Gratiot Twp which incorporated into HW.

Other questions would be was Chatham Village Mkt the original Chatham Village Mkt, and who sold it to the Weisberg's?

Jcole

Post Number: 719
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed the ad in the '51 church paper for Dr. Stoler. He was the Dr. who delivered my sister and I.
And the Chatham Inn looks like it was on the Detroit side near the corner of 7 and Kelly, right around where Aldo's was. I think when I was a kid there was a dry cleaner on the corner and then Aldo's.

7andkelly

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Back to the pictures on FB. I can see Jack Benny in the picture, but isn't that also Richard Nixon to his right, and in back to the left of your sister?

Your family sure must have been well connected back in those days.

Jcole

Post Number: 720
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family would never have invited Nixon. Daddy was a staunch Democrat. Tricky Dick must have crashed the party.

Jcole

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I just looked at the picture. That man IS my father.

Mooncricket
Username: Mooncricket

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK , i just can't lurk any longer I must answer the million dollar question...the place across Gratiot from Macomb Mall was "The Trading Post".

Jcole

Post Number: 722
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I already posted that a few comments above, but thanks for trying to help.. It was driving me nuts.

7andkelly

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say you invited him. Jack Benny would have been trying to save money on the gas by inviting Nixon, and riding with him.

Jcole

Post Number: 723
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moon, was Tabacco Road inside the Trading Post or down the road a ways. Also, do you remember Denny McLain owning some kind of store in there?

Jcole

Post Number: 724
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, I wouldn't have done the inviting anyway, being as I couldn't write yet. But I'm glad you clarified how he got there.

Mooncricket
Username: Mooncricket

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about Tobacco Road or Denny McClain. i frequented the candle store and the leather store inside the Trading Post.

7andkelly

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops! I should have guessed it could have been your Dad by his close proximity to the bride...and to Jack Benny. You really do need to get sorting those pictures from the box.

I had another guess, but I can see I've already stepped in it.

Jcole

Post Number: 725
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's okay, what's the other guess. Remember, I gave you a pass a while back after I got thin skinned about something you said in jest.

Jcole

Post Number: 726
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Mooncricket. If I remember right, there were a lot of cool stores in there and an arcade and some fast food places, but it's been over 30 years, so I could be embellishing.

7andkelly

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure? This one is a Democrat if that helps. But I don't want to offend, now knowing it was your Dad.

Jcole

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's okay, he'd think it was funny, and if not, he'd forgive us later.

Jcole

Post Number: 729
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you thinking LBJ? Cause, I could see that.

7andkelly

Post Number: 479
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the very limited, and veiled, side, far away view, I thought it could have been a young LBJ.

Jcole

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's there through the forehead. So, see, it was all good.

7andkelly

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew!

Jcole

Post Number: 733
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, I pulled those addresses out of the church paper and did some Googling. The results are above.

7andkelly

Post Number: 481
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Do you mean where you found the Chatham Village Mkt was the same address as Ingrao's, or the location of the Chatham Inn?

Also, do remember Ingrao's being part bar/restaurant and part hall?

Jcole

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant that the address of the Chatham Village Market corresponds to the spot where I remember Ingrao's at. The second building in north of Washtenaw on Kelly. I think Alinosi's was on the corner for a while. I sort of remember Ingrao's having a restaurant or snack bar thing attached. it might have been that corner building that had been Alinosi's

Chatham Inn was on the Detroit side, right off of 7 Mile on Kelly.

I'll see if I can annotate a map and post it tomorrow. Too tired tonight. My quick hard drive replacement turned into a 5 hour repair and training session with an 80 year old. Thank God my other job for tomorrow got postponed til Friday

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go to Virtual City WSU and entry Harper Woods. You'll see an interesting photo of Kelly Rd that may speak volumes of Sinclair Gas, Allinosi, and a market that is not quite identifiable

Jcole

Post Number: 736
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't find what you're talking about, KR.
Can you post a link?

Jcole

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind KR, I found it.
Very cool

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes.....Ingrao's WAS the original Chatham Village store.............and don't forget the Plum Pit on Gratiot. I think it still might be there!