Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plum pit is still there - and the last time I was there - still selling "bells".
That's a fashion style that will always be near and dear to my heart --as long as they drag on the ground and get all ratty.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 483
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR/Jc: I am not finding this. Pls post the link.

7&kk: Thanks for all your important contributions.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah.........CFG I knew I liked you!........what year did you say you graduated from SJS?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 740
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly Rd. Picture

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?c=vmc;page=index

enter "Harper Woods" and enlarge the Harper Woods 1950s picture
Included are other nostalgic pictures from Eastland and NDHS

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 14, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 741
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, I still love bell bottoms, even if they do drag and get ratty. It's one of the things I never got past from HS. I still wear too long jeans and sandals.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&k kid - 1970
The standard attire was a blue shirt - with peace sign in center - with bells wide -but only from the knee down - the rest had to be "taken in" so they were "snug". The hair - long, straight, parted down the middle - and if the occasion called for something "restive" - wet hair - with a billion braids - which were undone with the hair dried, so it fanned out far and wide - with a scarf around the forehead - preferably with stars and stripes.....ahhh, fashion took a turn for the worse as the years went by! (The scarf could also double as a belt if it was a straight hair day)

Jcole

Post Number: 745
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG I did the scarf and braids thing, too, but I favored beaded Indian headbands worn around the forehead.
For dressier occasions, I liked long peasant dressses worn off the shoulder with braids and straw flowers in the braids. This of course was after I got my hair to grow out after 8th grade.

7andkelly

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc/KR: Thanks for the assist. If you squint, it looks like the middle word is village.

Excellent pictures.

The road was going in. I'm trying to remember if we ever used to be able to angle park by the stores directly, or if you had to enter across an opening in the curb at the south corners, and exit across an opening in the curb at the north corners like we do now.

Jcole

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the guys in the first car. I can't figure out why the traffic jam at this time of year coming off of the Belle Isle Bridge, but it was definitely the 60's or 70's. Could have been one of WABX Kite-ins.
Dudes in Car

(Message edited by jcole on May 14, 2008)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey that's Hyde driving isn't it?

Jcole

Post Number: 749
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure looks like it, doens't it. But where's Donna?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole - oh yeah- forgot about the beaded headbands - also an attractive accessory!

Jcole

Post Number: 750
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, we were stylin' and profilin' all the time.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we were! not to say that we've lost any of that "coolness" through the years!

Zitro

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any pics to confirm this "stylin' and profiln'" would be appreciated.

Jcole

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll see what I've got. I don't know how many pictures my parents took of me in my 'hippie wear'
Let's just say they weren't pleased.

Zitro

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the nuns would have been thrilled.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm quite sure that I have no pictures from those days - as it was totally uncool to have your picture taken - and as J has so astutely pointed out - we weren't the ones with the cameras - as a rule - and the folks just didn't want to capture "those" moments! :-)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a thought.............
Do any of us here work for a living or are we just goofing off while we work?
Seems the same bunch of us posts at all hours of the day and night.

7andkelly

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: When are you leaving for the game? Bring back a win!

Jcole

Post Number: 754
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn, Speaking for myself, I am a freelance computer tech and things are sloooooow right now, so technically speaking (pun intended), I'm not working, so I have lots of goof off time.
I've got a couple pro bono jobs this week, one yesterday and one Friday, so I'm keeping my screwdriver warm. But, other than that, you can pretty much find me here

Zitro

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: I'll be leaving around 8:30am. I'm polishing up my steel toe boots and plan on doing some serious butt kicking if they don't get in gear. Obviously Leyland is too worried about hurting anyone's feelings so I'm the guy to do it. In fact, I'll pull a Sheed and guarantee a win tomorrow for the puddycats.

(Message edited by zitro on May 14, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, I think Sr. Mary Ellen Richard sent the truant officer out to get us.

Jcole

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, go kick butt. I hope it helps

Jcole

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I saw a guy with a badge lurking in the bushes, watching me not work.
Those nuns will get you every time :-(

Zitro

Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging by the crowd size last night (12,000) and this being a day game we just might be the only ones there.

Jcole

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, good, then you'll be easier to see. And no, I'm not stalking.

Zitro

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be the one wearing the Groucho glasses.

Zitro

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an FYI: I have a Regina HS Crown 67' Yearbook. If anyone would like a picture of someone sent to them from this year please supply your e-mail address and I'll see what I can do.