Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a big Polka dot bow tie and a flowered suit jacket. Er, no, I guess that's for Hockey announcers, not baseball games.
Nevermind.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Cherry Harwell

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least I know where to find one of you slackers.

JC, we have a guy up here in the "thumb" who does a decent business helping folks with software problems. Are you strictly hardware or do you untangle software as well?

Jcole

Post Number: 771
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I untangle most things. I build, train on software packages, do software support and network support. I don't code. It bores me to tears.

Jcole

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're up around Port Austin, correct?
I think that support people are a little less common in your neck of the woods. They're a dime a dozen down here, what with all the layoffs and downsizing. Everyone is trying to make a buck.

Eastburn

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy who helps me out is a retired executive who lives on 12 waterfront acres around Harbor Beach so I don't think he's hurting too bad. I suspect the prior work set him up. He does this to keep busy & often won't charge unless he has to go out on a call. I usually have to talk him into charging me if he solves my problem over the phone. Folks like him (and you) are invaluable to computer dummies like me. I just struggled through a mail merge project which would have been a snap for you.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some more history on the origin of Harper Woods:

http://www.harperwoodscity.cit ymax.com/page/page/3273919.htm

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 456
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1967: The summer of love and the Detroit riots...a dichotomy of events
BTW, There was a special SJS graduation

Kellyroad

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1967 class officers

Jcole

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, can these be posted on FB, I can't read them on here.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 458
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may not be able to recognize the names or faces because of the size of the photos but you can count 190 graduates.

7andkelly

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth:

While looking for church papers and report cards and stuff between periods of the Red Wings game, I found an old book being used to press a whole bunch of four leaf clovers. The book is titled: "The Modern Home Physician - A New Encyclopedia of Medical Knowledge (1943)." Out of 792 pages, I opened it to a page with the following description:

"Nostalgia. Homesickness, especially a sufficient degree of it to cause mental and bodily depression, is called nostalgia. It may amount to a serious disability. For example, when the youthful Louis Pasteur first left his father's tannery in the village of Arbois to study at Paris, he was attacked by nostalgia to such an extent that he became visibly ill. He confessed to one of his companions, 'If only I could get a whiff of the tannery yard, I feel I would be cured.' His condition grew so alarming that his father was summoned, and took him home. Thus the boy smelled the beloved tannery once more, and was restored to his family and to peace".

Jcole

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you trying to tell us we're all sick?

Zitro

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We already know were slackers. Geez I'm starting to lose my self esteem. Feels like the nuns presence all over again.

Jcole

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now, I couldn't retrieve my self-esteem with a post hole digger.
gosh, I feel like I'm back in school.

Eastburn

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all love you, JC! (You, too, Z)

I'm reprising my priestly role.

7andkelly

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't go looking for this! It literally practically fell on me, ala Joel Zumaya. But it basically says we're not only visibly ill, but mentally ill, and potentially seriously disabled. But the optimist (or opportunist) side of me just had his next several sick leave requests written for him.

BTW, I found a couple of yearbooks. Z: You went to Nassau? Lucky.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on May 14, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 489
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eb: You always loved those two best.

Zitro

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was sweet

Jcole

Post Number: 788
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's saying we could all be dangerously psychotic, as well as all the other. You should have sick days for a year

Eastburn

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, in fact I'm considering sending them back to the tannery for a sniff. Sort of like absolution.

Jcole

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take a trip to a tannery in France. Just let me know when and where.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You can never go back home" (regarding nostalgia) but we're trying in cyberspace.

7andkelly

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I think someone must have posted this saying in the Tigers' clubhouse.

Jcole

Post Number: 790
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK
LMAO

Kellyroad

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mario and Rod say keep faith alive.
(Same message we received at SJ)

7andkelly

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheer up my fellow sick slackers! Tomorrow is a new day!

Jcole

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it's only 4 minutes away.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all are incredible - and yes, being reprimanded as a slacker, definitely got me back to work and away from communications - darned that ingrained guilt! You all are a bad influence on me....and I'm sticking to that story!

Jcole

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not slackin', I'm just livin'