Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Wings/Stars » Archive through May 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7785
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100- thanks so much for that link to justin.tv! I got to watch a goodly amount of the game thanks to you!

And a great game it was. The Wings just controlled the puck up and down the ice for the better part of the first half. They were crisp and relentless. Dallas wanted to come out and play physical but just couldn't because they kept taking silly penalties.

And Turco remains perfect at the Joe.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheer domination by the wings tonight!

It was a huge effort by several players on the team. I can think of at least 15 skaters who showed some of the best hockey they are capable of producing. In my opinion, this team - tonight - was playing some of the best hockey that we have seen all season, and even longer. It really is pleasant to see careful planning and growing of players culminate at seasons end with a strong cup run.

I was, and still am, wary of the Stars. They have dispatched two strong teams, only to be presented with the task once again. They are getting good at playing the underdog act. Furthermore, the one goal they did have was a good, strong goal which gave ozzie not much of a chance. Morrow is a good player who can spark life into the stars if were not careful. And in the last 5-8 minutes of the second we saw a blink of how the Stars are capable of showing up.
enough about them......

For the rest of game 1, the Wings showed why they are the better team. They really looked like they were in a different league. Keys to the game: Continued ^average^ to outstanding play by Chris Osgood, strong hitting (Datsyuk lead that column tonight with 4 hits {second on team with 24 to Kronwall's first of 25}), DISCIPLINE in the scrums/corners/penalty kill/odd-man breaks, PP dominance (3 tonight) and an angry peppering of Marty Turco.

Notables-

Drake- hits, shots and blocked shots
Helm- speed and pressure all game
Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom line - as always
Franzen- only one goal???
Kronwall- 2 assists and some hot and heavy hitting
Lidstrom- 2 assists
Flip and Hudler - point each and it's good to see them on the Boxscore. These guys are very selective about coming alive, and it's needed to move forward this playoff
Cleary- Starting to show his wheels again. He's been slow getting back, but what a staple to our roster during this season. I really want this guy to score some playoff points this spring
Samulesson- Can't keep hating this guy if he's good for .7272 points per game. I still think him and Lilja are our weak links, but even they have showed up this playoff
Raffs - nice goal!

Is there anyone left? Oops...

Tkshreve

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And Turco remains perfect at the Joe."

a very diplomatic way of putting it ;)

Smogboy

Post Number: 7787
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a coach that taught me never to say bad things about the other team. But I'm glad someone caught the analogy.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the Stars would have to stay out of the box to have a chance. They could not in game one. I see the rest of the series going the same way, Wings pp is just to good. Unless the refs go back to old time hockey and put the whistles away, Stars have no chance. Empty ice level seats were embarrassing. Corporate yuppies were either at the Tiger game or in the Olympia room.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Smogboy.

It was a very well played game and tomorrow should be even better if Ott keeps on trying to kill people.

Downriviera

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shame on Versus for not showing the national anthem, CBC showed it.

Scs100

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back, what a great game.

Ribeiro is a sitting duck if he makes it back for the playoffs for that slash on Ozzy.

(Message edited by SCS100 on May 11, 2008)

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 419
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO WINGS! Now all you all know I know what I'm talkin' bout:

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:12 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
For one, I hate their uniforms. Two, their team is filled with jerks like Morrow, Barnes, Turco, Ribiero, Primodano, Ott, Eriksson, Lundqvist, Daley, Robidas, and Hagman. Three, their ice is slushy. Four, their team was stolen from Minnesota. Five, Hull is a double-agent traitor.

Stars...I cantstanzia!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7796
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emotions ran high during this game but that's the nature of a tightly competitive physical sport. The Stars definitely wanted to come out and play a solid physical game but somehow forgot to score. It'd probably would've been a little easier if they had the puck but then that's the way our Wings operate- you don't have the puck, you can't score.

Notice all the crisp short passes the Wings do. They don't rely on bomb passes down the ice or the dump & chase (although they could). Their transition game is still solid as can be in the neutral zone- look at how much speed we generate attacking compared to how much speed the Stars come at us with. Another major noteworthy thing is winning the face-offs; the percentage in our favor is daunting. With every stoppage of play and face-off it was 39-16 that we'd get the puck back.

The biggest flair of emotions came at the end of the game and I'd be shocked if Ribeiro doesn't at least get a game or two for the slash. The precedent for stick swinging incidents has been set and I can't see the League backing down from it. I've seen hundreds of times where a goalie wants to impede the oncoming forechecker to prevent him from crunching the defenseman- and it surely didn't look like an intentional butt end with intent to hurt, whereas Ribeiro's actions were.

Now that being said, Osgood's Billy Smith-esque flopping after the play around doesn't exactly gain him any sympathy from me either.

Let's head down to Dallas, beat them there and continue this amazing determined run. It's still a bummer that Franzen won't be a part of this until at least game four, but as long as we continue winning- he can rest up for a bit. And for Darren Helm to come up big with his first NHL goal like that has got to be exciting; our fourth liners are beating their third liners! Congrats to the youngster.

Again, let's get the next game and continue this march towards the Cup.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4218
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gads, the Dallas Morning News blog comments are horrible - whine, whine, whine about the refs, the Wings, Babcock, then get nasty about Detroit and Michigan

Y'all know there's an NHL conspiracy at work to have Wings/Pens for the final, right?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At first I went couchside crazy after that Ribeiro slash. Upon further review, Ozzie quite possibly did instigate the situation, with that little butt end of his stick and all.

I'm glad he's not hurt, that could have been really bad.

Ribeiro should have came out in front of the net and made his point if he had one, that was too close to Ozzie's neck for me.

(Message edited by thnk2mch on May 11, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ribiero should be banned from hockey for life. It's one thing to retaliate by dropping the gloves, or slashing an ankle. It's totally different and unacceptable to bat someone's neck or head with your stick. The fact time ran out means he should go to prison.

The stars have been running goalies all year. Dirty players. Dirty coach. Dirty owner.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7798
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy there 7andkelly! There have been much worse infractions in the NHL and no one's called for the kind of punishment you're asking for.

For starters, it was a stick swinging incident and there has been precedent set for that sort of infraction in the NHL. And no it wasn't at Osgood's head or neck. Let's let the league hand down the penalty now. I'm sure they'll take all of the things leading up to this incident to decide:

-how much running of the goalies have there been in THIS series by BOTH sides?
-was there intent on Osgood's part?
-was this in retaliation for what Turco did at his end of the ice?

And let's not get into calling teams "dirty" or such things like that. Cite individual incidents of where they were dirty and I'd say that's fair, but to clump an entire team under that label is awfully unfair. Prime example is what a lot of fans think of Colorado; is Joe Sakic dirty? Hardly (and yet he's an Avalanche player), but if one wants to talk about what Claude Lemieux did to Draper years ago, I'd say that incident was dirty. So let's not generalize so much about a team because the opponents can say the same about us in very broad terms as well.

7andkelly

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sb: I know another way to handle the Ribeiro situation. Let's talk with him, and try to find out why he did what he did. Perhaps he had a bad day. Maybe he came from a broken home. Give him some medications to calm him down. If he does this again, we could do an intervention and ask him to attend an anger management session.

Downriviera

Post Number: 388
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of the NY Islanders actually suggested sending aggressive players for anger management. That would make for a great reality TV show. A butt end, a slash, good to see some old time hockey.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a good case for waterboarding. :-) :-)

Smogboy

Post Number: 7800
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly- the judge, jury and executioner in the NHL here.

Sigh.

Ever lose your temper and regret things? At no point did I ever say that Ribeiro shouldn't face some form of punishment, did I?

Scs100

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ott, Ribeiro, and Osgood were all fined undisclosed amounts according to TSN. While I'm not saying what Osgood did was a good thing, how one can get off with a fine after two-handing a guy to the chest is beyond me.

7andkelly

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The post-game slash was from over the back of the net which means the intent was to do damage to only the most upper of extremities. Easily, Osgood could have gotten it in the head. It was cowardly and reckless whether he was angry or not. I guess we only suspend when there IS a serious injury. It'll take another Bertuzzi-ish life altering closed head injury for the NHL to act.

Sb, we may not always agree here, but let's try not to get personal.

Moving on from here...till the next game.

GO WINGS!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't condone the slash. However (and I love Ozzie), he instigated the whole thing with his deliberate butt-ending of Ribeiro. On top of that, he definitely went for a nice big dive after getting slashed across the chest.

NHL rules specifically state a game misconduct for butt-ending another player. Whether it was actually a butt-end motion (stabbing) vs simply putting the butt-end of his stick in the path of travel of Ribiero is definitely up for debate. I don't think necessarily did a "jabbing motion", but he did ABSOLUTELY intentionally move his stick into Ribiero's path.

With that said, being a questionable butt-end on Ozzie's part does not mean a deliberate slash across the chest is acceptable.

But Ozzie didn't need to do what he did. Simple as that. It was a cheap shot that resulted in an even cheaper retaliation, with an even lamer dive.

Like I said, I always have loved Ozzie and respected him. He definitely went down a few notches in my book after this one. The butt-end was a little cheap. But the dive was ridiculous.

A fine is fair for both sides.

I just hope this doesn't get the Wings all hot and bothered. McCarty looked like he was ready to kick some serious A** after the whole thing. You know Dallas Drake is always on the verge of blowing a gasket. I don't wanna see Game 3 start with a fight, a bunch of Wing penalties or game misconducts (or suspensions). And even beyond that, this whole thing has the potential to take their minds off of playing and winning the games they need to win. I'd like to think they are professional enough (is there a less cheap/goonie team in the NHL than the Red Wings?), but incidents like this, especially at the end of games, has a real tendency to carry over to the next game and deeper in the series. They should all hopefully realize Ozzie was not innocent, Ribeiro retaliated ridiculously but was provoked, and forget about it. Take it to the Stars and make THEM look like the cheap, whiney players.

The deliberate movement by Ozzie is perfectly clear here. He knew exactly what he was doing. See about 1:25 into the video: http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=6265080711538952932& q=ribeiro+osgood&ei=IqonSN-UI5 Sw4QKkn-jnCQ

It was a cheap shot. From both of them. Fines are good enough. Lets move on to game 3.

(Message edited by Jerome81 on May 11, 2008)

Tkshreve

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Babcock will keep the wings cool. He knows his team is performing right now, and will do everything in his power to keep them focused on the puck and defense. The Stars needed something like this to fire them up.

Fines..... suspensions......... very tough to make a decision there. The league had to consider suspensions of Ozzy and Ribeiro and what the consequences would be. We definitely can't lose Ozzy for a game. If the Stars lost Ribeiro, that would be in a deeper world of hurt.

In cases like this, the league is always thinking about the end result on hockey in general. How will our decision affect the fan base?

Extent of injuries is often a major reason behind league rulings, which is quite unfortunate. They have shown leniency for particular players in the past also. You would like it if they flat called everything, but this is not how the league works. One day we will have someone who sees it clear, but don't forget that this sport is hurting nationally, so decisions will be biased until the fans return.

In this case with ozzy, I think since no one was injured, and each guy got a shot in, the League took the easy route out. Late in the playoffs, with a great series, it is a decision the league would rather not have to make. That after-the-buzzer crap is gonna have to stop. It looks real bad.

I think if the wings stay focused and come out puck hungry, we will be fine. If we see Downey on the bench and Mac out there Mike R headhunting, we might be in for a scrappy series which could bang us up for the next one.

BTW great shutdown play by the wings in the 3rd period. We have all facets working for us right now.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7802
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did we disagree 7andkelly? And when did it get personal? DId I miss something??

After reading through all of your posts and mine, the only part that I can even remotely find where we diverged is you calling for prison time and I called for letting the league hand out the punishment.

I'm just trying to take myself out of my Detroit Red Wing homer/ fan mode and look at the situation objectively as humanly possible and discuss the event intelligently. If you took it personally then you missed out on my intent.

I'm in agreement with Jerome81 110% though- "It was a cheap shot. From both of them. Fines are good enough. Lets move on to game 3." Both parties are guilty and the game needs to move on.

7andkelly

Post Number: 431
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sb: How can you say you didn't get personal?

"7andkelly- the judge, jury and executioner in the NHL here".

Granted, it wasn't bat me in the chest with a hockey stick personal, or even b!t@h slap personal, but I do have feelings.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7805
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, weren't you when you called for a prison sentence of an incident that happened on the ice?

And no offense but you calling for a lifetime ban of Ribeiro isn't that much more sound either.

Again, punishment yes but at least look at how punishment is dealt in the NHL. How many players have seriously spent time in jail for incidents that have happened in the heat of battle on the ice? Look at the history of how the league handles these things.

7andkelly

Post Number: 435
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Ribeiro, yes. No justice. No peace.

I made no offense to you personally. In fact, I have been complimentary to you in the past. I was engaging in a conversation. You called me names, and yet you still think I'm the villain.

7andkelly

Post Number: 437
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The game was a Red Wings' masterpiece: Good goal tending, puck control, back checking, fore checking, shots on goal, faceoffs...a real hockey clinic game. But spare the outcome, which is what really matters, there is this ongoing debate about the stick swinging which obviously played out similarly at the league offices, resulting in the compromise punishments.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7807
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calling you "the judge, jury and executioner" is villainous?

You're the one calling for an end to this guy's livelihood. I'm just calling for a wait & see attitude from the NHL and let them mete out justice. They obviously have so our points are moot.

7andkelly

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is you called me names, and I did not call you names, and the fact remains I have been respectful and complimentary to your posts in the past.

I will forgive you if you are sorry.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CMAO