Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you knew me better, you'd know I'm not slack, I am very tightly wound.

Jcole

Post Number: 823
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more comment on the Chatham Village topic. I am now on the mailing list for the Chatham employees newsletter, and they are having a reunion on Sun. Sept. 14 at Memorial Park in Warren, and we're invited.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 499
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And while I'm off I might as well try and find a skin doctor.

7andkelly

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Thanks for the invite. I believe we have four or five complete sheets of stamps to redeem.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chatham Supermarkets were a client of my company's (when I had a real job). Nice people to work with. How many outfits that are out of business still have employee picnics?
I remember that in the "old days" their employees were unionized. My late 1st wife was an ICU RN. She always said she could have made more money as a cashier at Chatham's.

Jcole

Post Number: 824
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7and K, trying to thicken up that skin? Let me know if you find a good Dr. and maybe I'll go, too.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're going to need a bigger turn-out here if we're going to have a communal penance serve to deal with the slacking.
Or is a healing service in order to deal with our nostalgia problem?
BTW which one of you signed in on Facebook using our disease as a non de plume?

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, let me tell you all.........sittin' here listening to 94.7 DOUG radio (the greatest hits of the 70's!)while we're bloggin' along tells me for sure that we can't go home again (although if that June 1 cleanup at the church comes off...who knows).....maybe we're just lonely...........sigh

Jcole

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK Kid,
I'm sitting here watching a Bio of Andy Williams, and they just showed Bobby Kennedy's funeral where Williams sang Battle Hymn of the Republic, and I was thinking similar thoughts. What a bunch of sad sacks!!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, let me tell you all.........sittin' here listening to 94.7 DOUG radio (the greatest hits of the 70's!)while we're bloggin' along tells me for sure that we can't go home again (although if that June 1 cleanup at the church comes off...who knows).....maybe we're just lonely...........sigh

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you mean IF that June 1st clean-up comes off????? No problem there, I have everything under control! ......and we're not sad sacks...there's nothing wrong about looking back and appreciating what we had....and I for one am looking forward to sprucing up the place on the 1st so that we're not the only ones that can look back and sigh, 30 years from now!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All..........sorry for the double post........trying to get used to this new laptop.........it is SENSATIVE!....anyway..yes..June 1.....a new beginning! .......and the song playin rite now is 'Back on my feet again!.........no coincidense............"Here I am...I'm back on my feet again!".........

(Message edited by 7_and_kelly_kid on May 15, 2008)

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KID: 94.7 = WCSX. 93.1 = Doug FM
I know you know your radio stations!
CJOM, WABX, WWWW....for some reason my tuner can't get those stations in any more. Sure wish I had a Craig 8 track player

Kellyroad

Post Number: 464
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 and Kelly: Was it Gold Bell or S&H green stamps at Chatham?

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 15, 2008)

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR..........maybe that's why my tuner is off (can't be me!).......my 8 Track is still hooked up!.....I'll have to update to casette sooner or later I'm sure.........no wonder the kids over at Mickey Shorr's look at me funny........that 10 years living in the U.P. set me back......

Kellyroad

Post Number: 465
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KID: Some one mentioned something bout compact discs, MP3, Ipod...bunch of fancy alphabet talk. Funny thing that they don't sell cars yet with cassettes. How ya spose to upgrade to cassette if the car companies haven't upgraded?? Guess the 8 track on the floor will have to do.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What...is my TNT 8 Track a thing of the past? Everyone needs a portable 8Track! It's still a vibrant yellow!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmmm........just found my bell bottoms.....it WILL be an interesting reunion!....(I'm sure I can still fit into a 28 inch waist!}

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Levi's "movin on" jeans, though still in my closet - have moved on....and left me far behind!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG........that seem to be the part of me that doesn't quite fit anymore!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you - and raise you a few pounds ----but as long as we still have fun!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG.........I know we will.......by the way....SJS class of '66 here............

7andkelly

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you need your FM converter installed on your late 1960s Chrysler or Chevy, I'm your guy.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nah........still listening to the Big 8...and Keener 13!

Jcole

Post Number: 826
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only in your mind

Kellyroad

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to St. Jude
-Taken on an early morning in May of 1966
-heading back after 1st communion
There are two 8mm movie cameras in the photo. Who has any home movies?

7andkelly

Post Number: 502
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Are you guessing early morning because of the shadows, or because that's when they always did these?

Half these kids are talking in line, and not facing forward as required. I guess with all the parents standing around they weren't going to use the hammer.

Jcole

Post Number: 831
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So this would have been the class of 72?

7andkelly

Post Number: 503
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could be. If it is, the one in the glasses might be Vincent C.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 467
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Both. First Communions were traditionally at the 7:30 AM Mass. The shot was take after Mass. It appears to be a 9AM sun by the shadows.
Remember back then there was a 3 hour fast prior to communion....probably why such an early start for the 1st timers....don't want to start off being hungry all morning.
If you observe the photo carefully you'll notice some of the first communicants proceeding as practiced, hands folded skyward, looking straight ahead, with a reverent smile of just having received the Lord. Others are obviously being distracted by family members for photo ops and by the frivolity of other classmates

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 16, 2008)