Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through May 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I know what you mean...it was sorta the same at the T household on Farmbrook...a little nerve racking to be on the scene.

I don't recall Bill H. being there when I dated SH(Y)...but Mrs. H. was...that was intimidating.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Mrs Hennick was a very pleasant woman ... and friendly to me

Goblue

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yes, a really lovely woman...and an excellent teacher...they raised two really nice daughters...even if SH(E) did clench her cheeks a little tight...she was still a nice woman.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Eastwood - MSU Bell Ringers will be meeting in the SJ Parking lot every Sunday morning to ring the bells in remembrance of the eastside 1950 - 1970.

ES 61 Proudly, Living in the past with my friends.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone see the Wings on Hockey Night in Canada tonight? Was Don Cherry wearing ES's prom tux on Coach's Corner?

Goblue

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Praise be to the SJ bellringers.

OD: Can't get the games on cable out here...frustrating...but...if it had wide lapels it was ES prom tux.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Don Cherry is on the right. Isn't this ES's prom tux? It has wide lapels.

Wonder how he got ahold of it.

(Message edited by olddetroiter on May 10, 2008)

Goblue

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Hells bells...That IS ES61 on the right! I Googled him...sure enough...that is ES61! Even SH(Y) wouldn't have recognized him except for the unique tatoo that she mentioned one time.

(Message edited by GoBlue on May 10, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: check out GB's photo for the Book we all will be writing....Nehru Jacket .... In WWoods they all thought it was the second coming of Gandhi .... He was first to start up Educational Support where you called and it was Patel in bombay who answered the phone telling you the highlights of the March PTA meeting..... Innovative GB ... probably from the u Of m edu grad program 1963 ..... Didn't Don Cherry officiate at the SE 59 wedding???? and also play the accordion?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 421
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone been on Gratiot lately? I have. Are you thinking crumbling pavement, and goat farms? Think again!

From downtown to 8 Mile, Gratiot Ave. is a becoming more of a bright spot than a blight spot. The smoothest stretch of road in Michigan today is Gratiot Ave in Detroit. Brand new pavement, well lit. With all the work on the freeways and freeway bridges, Gratiot is a great alternative.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Have you timed the lights so we can get downtown without stopping? .... Not that it matters.... I guess it's no worse getting shot sitting at a light on Gratiot than sitting in a backup on I-75.

7andkelly

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the lights are very much in your favor travelling Gratiot later in the evening following Red Wings or Tigers games.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Do you remember the house on Eastwood between Rex and Morang on the Fordham side that had a small pond in the side yard?

ES 61 Proudly, Assisting Jc with Pyromaniacs from AArbor

7andkelly

Post Number: 430
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Technically, that's impossible. But there was one house on Eastwood with a double lot in the middle of the block. Is that the one? The name escapes me, but if I heard it, I would know it. The letter D comes to mind.

There was another house, next to Mr. Ryan on the Rex side, that also had a small cement pond or pool in the back yard.

Mr. Ryan sure did love his Tiger baseball. When I knew him, his sight was significantly diminished. Was that the case when you knew him?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Joe Ryan and my father were good buddy's.... the name of the family that live on Eastwood ( house was located between rex and morang) were the brownee's. the kids name was Myron the same first name as GB who lived on Fordham. I remember going with my older brother up to Myron's ( No not GB's house) to check out the fish, etc that were in the pond.....didn't play very much on that block ...just stuck to the middle block and the block between redmond and Kelly.....

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: As 7K mentioned, there was a double lot in the block between Rex and Morang on the north side (during the 60s I believe the Sabinos lived there) just west of them were the Garrasis. Do you recognize the Garrasi name from the DPS days? Mr. Garrasi, I believe was principal and/or teacher at Columbus and I believe at Denby perhaps just slightly after your time there.

7andkelly

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: That's it! Sabino was the name I was trying to think of for the family that lived in the house on the double lot on Eastwood between Rex and Morang. The Garrasi name is familiar to me too.

Of course, there were some kids on 7 Mile, Fordham, and Eastwood between Hayes and Morang. Ever hang out over there?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Myron? I always thought GB's name was Roscoe, but it all makes sense now. GB was always the staid, formal type and would never let me talk to him on a first name basis. He always mede me address him as MR GoBlue. I always thought it meant Mister GoBlue. But now I understand it was his initials.... Myron Roscoe GoBlue.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K and KR: Maybe the Brownee's sold to the Sabino family ... the lot was interesting. Once again there was a SJ girl (Kathy Miller) that we all interesting in during our later elementary age era. I knew the Ingledue's , Sontags and Resin's who lived in the Hayes to Gratiot area that Father Bananahead (alias GB) lived in - he might have terrorized them do to his mental disabilities and odd behavior. Once he finally got in to one of those THIRD tier Direction schools - Central or Eastern Michigan not sure - the electric shock treatment seemed to calm him down but he would only focus on a SE direction... that was corrected years later...

ES61 Proudly, only telling the truth! Right Myron????

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 452
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, ES: Eastwood between Rex and Kelly were pretty much the sphere of action. There were so many kids on those two blocks that venturing west of Rex and especially Morang wasn't necessary. The Garrasi family (John, Dominic, and Matt) was the reason for an adventure west of Rex. The dad was always in the teacher mode, often showing the neighborhood kids chemistry experiments right on the kitchen table..since I didn't attend the DPS I never had him as a teacher but it was evident however that he loved to teach. The Dobbs family lived west of Hayes between Queen and MacCrary. It seemed like going to another country at that time. Crossing Hayes at Eastwood to hang out with Tom Dobbs was a big doing for a nine year old.
I'll bet the 7K KID had similar boundaries at that age.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 12, 2008)

Goblue

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: I knew a Tom Dobbs when I worked in the Warren Wds. Schools...later, when no one else was left, he became superintendent of the district. I wonder if it could be the same guy. He's retired and probably in his mid-60's now.

The last time I was on Gratiot Ave. (a dozen years ago) I was packing my .357 and my nephew had the other side of the car covered with his Glock...we were visiting my parents' graves in Gethsemane...glad to hear that things are looking up.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: and you also knew Lou Dobbs, too ... and please start a thread about Fordham ... one post and it will be over! According to a study done by the u OF m the Detroit Urban Prairie started on Fordham between Celestine and Maccrary..... U B Famous GB!

7andkelly

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR/ES: Oh yeah, the Dobbs's. That or Dominic Garrasi were the "D" that was throwing me off in trying to think of the Sabino's. A lot of these names are part of a massive blur in my memory, but occasionally come into focus. The Flemings lived across the alley from them on Fordham.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR...........Right you are my friend!.......let's not forget the corner of Rex and Eastwood....Jarzombek's and the Heinrich'

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES knew all the families between Eastwood and Mapleridge, especially around this time of year. He would pay each family $10.00 to allow him to harvest the ingredients for his dandelion wine from their front yards. Now that he's in CA he had to construct a green house next to the goat pens to grow the ingredients, and they're actually better than the MI dandelions. The secret is in the fertilizer.

7andkelly

Post Number: 463
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, If there's anyone that knows fertilizer, it's ES:-)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Be careful ... OD is still spreading stuff ... and GB unfortunately has caught a virus and has been barfing for three straight days ... in the old days when he lied his nose would grow ... and now he usually just barfs all over himself ... Fed Ex just delivered a full truck of brawny extra strength to AZ... His long nose was interesting to see and he used to hang his Nehru jacket on it at times ... Art Diekoff pointed his finger at him and he pointed his nose at Art Diekoff (AP DHS 1958)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: It's the season in MI right now, and I have lots of dandelions. I'll let you do both my front and back yards for just $15.00.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Bagged barf from AZ will do in those dandelions ... GB was an Ag. major in bull shit for years at WMU... 50 LB bag is $3.49 ...

Goblue

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Goat shit is cheaper...but I've heard that the smell is enough to burn the hair out of ES's nose and ears.