Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 866
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the newscasters here said 'LaBron laburned 'em'

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 464
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marty Sind worked there for a while

Jcole

Post Number: 867
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I remember that. I used to go there with my Austin boyfriends. big spenders, huh?
Just kidding.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 476
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Had a chance to visit SJS (East Catholic Elementary) and had unfettered access. It seemed like an eerie time warp. The principal and staff could not have been more gracious. Anyway, here is a teaser..just one corridor of the famous and mysterious tunnel that traverses the school, gym, and convent. much, much more to come

Jcole

Post Number: 868
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

American Axle has a tentative agreement tonight.

Jcole

Post Number: 869
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that where they used to lock up the transgressors?

Jcole

Post Number: 870
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sr. Ellen Richard must not have known about that place, otherwise, I would have been kneeling down there with an armload of encyclopedias and a face full of tape.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 520
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, no. This board has a one accuser limit.

Besides, I like bowling.

7andkelly

Post Number: 521
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg!

Jcole

Post Number: 871
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You calling for reinforcements?

7andkelly

Post Number: 522
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the tunnels on FB were the real ones.

Jcole

Post Number: 876
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could be those have been modernized, and this one still holds the bodies of recalcitrant 4th graders.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 479
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: From my recollection of altar boy days those were corridors in the basement of the church near the heating and cooling system. They are much roomier. The ones under the school feels like a catacomb....If you're tall watch out.

7andkelly

Post Number: 523
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right. Cfg's were probably from the Church basement side, all tiled and marbled. The hatch to that part is probably stain glassed.

But KR's is more cavelike like I imagined it would be.

KR, did you get any shots of bugs or rats or recalcitrants?

Zitro

Post Number: 465
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice defense Guillen

7andkelly

Post Number: 525
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice blown save Miner. Nice choice Leland. Nice let's leave Bonderman to rot on the vine when you should have taken him out 3 batters ago...Leland.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 482
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No bugs or rats. The janitor said the bones of the recalcitrants have been removed on a timely basis.

7andkelly

Post Number: 526
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would partially explain the lack of bugs or rats.

Jcole

Post Number: 879
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the bodies would have been small and easy to remove, other than having to pry the encyclopedias out of the tiny skeletal fingers.

Mooncricket
Username: Mooncricket

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In response to kelly road from 4/7/08 re: St Jude Play Stories,
As a 2nd grader I was dressed in black-face, black tights with a red plaid skirt,black sweater with a white blouse over to portray black arms, many, many pigtails with red bows, red lipstick and white gloves to sing Lil Liza Jane !
The boys were dressed in a similar fashion,
I also dressed as a 5 ft tall frosty the Snowman for The Christmas Play (4th? grade) and an elf in The Christmas Play in 7th grade, also starred in several history class plays.
That kind of fun is hard to come by

(Message edited by mooncricket on May 17, 2008)

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning Slackers -
Z - you couldn't be found for the reunion - and were on my MIA list - so NO ONE could find you ----we need to know where you went, not to be found. Some of those MIA came off the list as they reported in, or were reported in.....but not you! SB, you were also on our MIA letter to the folks that RSVPd. Send me your addresses to facebook and you'll never be forgotten! I've not seen news of any other reunions in the Bulletin. We had 1/4 class turn out - which I thought was great for a first attempt.
Tunnels in picture are church tunnels - and they were all glitz and glamour - if you're down there by yourself!
I've never been in the catacombs under the school - Great - a new adventure on the horizon

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

read that they "WEREN'T all glitz and glamour!

7andkelly

Post Number: 528
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ours was in '92 at Gilberts. A fun time was had by all.

If I remember correctly, L Anderson was taking lots of pictures.

I think L Genore organized this. We had a good crowd, but quite a few MIAs. In those days people who didn't want to be found would move to places like China, or Cuba, or Iowa.

7andkelly

Post Number: 529
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..."unfettered access"...

must...traverse...tunnel...soon

This just bumped visiting the HWPL on my list of things to do on a long lunch or sick day.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on May 17, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 466
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny 7&K but they found me anyway

Zitro

Post Number: 467
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Nice recovery

Jcole

Post Number: 882
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I thought you found us on here. How did that happen?

CFG, there was an earlier reunion back in the mid seventies at the gym. I don't remember all the details but I remember Sawicki, Laney, Terri D., MJ Mazur, Karen McC and others were present. I think it might have been 5 year. Were you there?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I was at our earlier reunion in the gym - and I think most of us went to Buffalo Nickel at Houston/Whittier after the get together. It could have been our 5 year, because we could get into the bars. I have a lot of pictures from that event too....one of these days I'll do some picture searching....
How DID you find us Z? I don't have a "returned" postcard as undeliverable from you - so we never found a starting address. You missed a great time - but we'll do it again!

Jcole

Post Number: 886
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, I'd love to see those pictures if you can find them. I think that was just before I got married.
Ah, sweet youth.

7andkelly

Post Number: 531
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least my digital photos are more organized.

These were taken last June before I knew I had nostalgia.

http://www.facebook.com/album. php?aid=3294&l=85919&id=119300 7340