Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 887
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, (you don't mind if I call you 7, do you? Much less formal and all)Cool pictures. Are those ghost lights of former students souls in the hallways? :-)
These pictures bring up a forgotten memory. when we went out for our recesses, etc, who were the classes that got to congregate in the various courtyards? I remember at some point being in separate courtyards than other kids. like the one next to Rm. 100 in the center of the school

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K, Great pictures. Talk about nostalgia. (I also now know which of us is named after our disease.) Interesting that the floor in the school is the original 1940s tile which I believe had asbestos as a major ingredient.
The Rapport club duplex was the rectory before the new church was built. Speaking of duplexes, we had a kid in our class who came from a family with 9 or 10 kids who lived in one of those. Made the 800 square foot asbestos-sided bungalows most of us lived in seem palatial.
I have photos of our reunions in 1983 (25) and 1988 but don't have a functioning scanner. Maybe some older siblings of yours in them.

Jcole

Post Number: 892
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, get thee to a scanner. I have 4 older sibs who went to SJS, and one of them is roughly in that era. She would either have graduated in 58 or 59 from SJS

Eastburn

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, what was her 1st name?

Jcole

Post Number: 896
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elizabeth, I think they called her Liz. Our family called her Dinky

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 468
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing your brother wasn't called dinky, it may have taken a while and lots of therapy to recover from that.

(Message edited by zitro on May 17, 2008)

Eastburn

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't think she was in class of '58. That's if the last name is Cole. If her name is Elizabeth, that's what she was called. No nicknames allowed. Only time I was ever called John in my life was by the nuns & SJS classmates. Just went over the class picture which, for some reason, I was able to readily find. Wish I could scan & post that. I look pretty good!

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 535
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Sure...this makes it much easier for us slackers.

J: Those two pictures were creepy enough being taken through the glass into an empty dark hallway, but how am I going to get that image out of my brain? I could delete the digital files and overwrite them with 1s and 0s a dozen times, but those ghosts and souls images are going to require more therapy.

I think I'll leave the files out there for awhile anyway. Either someone will come up with a more soothing image, or they will be dragged down into my gloom. I think they call that win-win!

Jcole

Post Number: 897
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, he has enough problems without that. They called him Jimbo, and I think he heard Jumbo.He looks a lot like my Dad, who was by no means a small man.

Jcole

Post Number: 898
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, then she must have been in 59. The others would have been 53, 56 and 65.

Jcole

Post Number: 899
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I must be wallowing right there with you in that gloom, because that was my first thought when I saw them.
Intellectually, I know it's just the flash off the glass, but that's nowhere near as cool

7andkelly

Post Number: 536
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Thanks for the kudos.

We would love to see some of your photos on FB. My first suggestion is FedEx/Kinkos, but CVS and Walgreens also have scanners.

If that doesn't work there is a store in Bay City that will convert and enhance your "tintype" photographs to digital.

7andkelly

Post Number: 537
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just don't call me 8. I hate that. 4 is okay.

Jcole

Post Number: 900
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm partial to 1, but let's keep it 7 so no one gets confused.

Eastburn

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Walgreens in Bad Axe. Next time I'm down there, I'll check it out. Wonder if it's big enough for the class picture.
Interesting that the picture only has the kids & Fr. Ording. No nuns. Kind of a commentary on the values of the era. Pretty screwed up, I'd say.

Jcole

Post Number: 901
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my current car in Bad Axe at Ordus Ford/Lincoln/Chrysler dealership. Nice town. I had dinner at the Chinese restaurant there. Very good food.

Eastburn

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the big city for us. 30 minute ride each way just to go grocery shopping at Wallyworld. There's no such thing as haute cuisine in BA but the Chinese place isn't bad. For good food you have to go to the Farm, Garfield Inn or the Breakers, all in or around port Austin.

Jcole

Post Number: 903
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I was waiting for my car to get prepped, so it would have been a long walk:-)
BTW, it takes me 20-30 minutes to get anywhere good also, so don't feel all alone. Almont is not a metropolis. It's smaller than Port Austin.
I love it up around Port Austin. I'll remember the names of those restaurants for this summer. Do you ever go out to Pointe Aux Barques? That is just gorgeous. I love lighthouses, and I occasionally take a lighthouse tour of the area. I've seen most of the ones in Maine, and a lot here, but the ones here are farther apart and alot of them are in the UP.

Jcole

Post Number: 904
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also love the Huron City Museums area.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All:.......what ARE the plans for the school (if any?)

Jcole

Post Number: 905
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's probably a good question for CFG

Zitro

Post Number: 469
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will probably sit for few years. Then it will get broken into. Then it will get stripped of all it's copper and metal. Then after about 10 more years it might get torn down. Pretty much SOP in Detroit anymore. But they won't touch the computers!

Jcole

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds about right, Z. The only things that might save it is the location right on 7 Mile and the fact that the church is still operational, and apparently actively so.

Zitro

Post Number: 470
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might being the operative word.

7andkelly

Post Number: 538
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would prefer it be leased out as a charter school, but that is highly doubtful IMO.

The community could probably use a soup kitchen. The gym might be a good place for that.

Jcole

Post Number: 912
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old St. Augustine over on Davison near Conant is now a charter school or academy, but the church was sold by the diocese also, so unless the diocese is willing to sell the school without the church, or someone is willing to run an academy on the same property as a Catholic Church, I don't know if it will fly.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG?.........are you still in the parish?

Eastburn

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, We live just off Lighthouse Rd. about 1/2 way between the Pte. Aux Barques lighthouse (which, incidentally is about 10 miles east of Pte. Aux Barques) and Huron City. Take our daily walks with Louie the dog through HC every day.
What do you mean, no fine dining nearby. What about Nachos in IC? Gag!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K KID: I asked your very question. What plans are there for the school building? No one knew.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, still in the parish - but live in Warren. I don't know of any word yet on the school, but have incorporated it into the June 1st clean-up to keep up appearances.