Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through May 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 875
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's boarded up. Damn. I loved that place. How are the other houses on that block?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 480
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some are kept up a few boarded up or simply unkempt...nothing like the house pictured in the 1950s photo you posted.

Jcole

Post Number: 877
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, well, as Thomas Wolfe said, you can never go home again.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 481
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thomas Wolfe's quote seems to be the prevailing theme in our threads isn't it?

Jcole

Post Number: 878
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recently, yes. It must be the season for remembrance.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Thanks so much and the street looks great ... The stone front is original and in one of the pics I could see the illegal room my father built on the back of the house. We played army in all those bushes up and down Eastwood between Rex and Redmond ... and I think i did see Mrs. Iola's home too.....

ES 61 Proudly, supporting KR - Thanks again....

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great picsKR.........coolness....... I didn't recognize my own place at first glance......is it empty?.............I remember hitting my baseball back and forth over the roof though.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I'm just glad you made it safely. How many body guards did you take with you?

If you ever go back again go over to Mapleridge between Brock and Morang. ES and I both lived there.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Stone front, finished knotty pine walled basement, addition in the back...your family was really living the high life back in the day! Good for you.

KR: Nice pictures! I don't see any goats though. I guess I will just wait till one of you posts the goats are on Fordham.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 248
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: You didn't see any goats because they're all in training for Saturday night's match. Since GB is rounding up all the pit bulls for his new vet practice, there aren't any available for the dog fighting business anymore. So east side Detroit businessmen have gone into goat fighting instead.

7andkelly

Post Number: 530
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be more humane! I've seen goats fight out in Romeo. Most of these fights start over who gets the waffle cone some scared toddler dropped. They nudge each other four or five times. When it's obvious to both of them who won, they're done. No blood, no injuries, no animosity...you'll even see them sleeping together later.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure you're not talking about GB and Tango?

Jcole

Post Number: 883
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, have you been going to the Westview Orchards to play on the hay pile again?

7andkelly

Post Number: 532
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frontiertown. It's like Westview but there no play, hay or apples.

Jcole

Post Number: 890
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the general store at Frontier, but a lot of the stores I used to like are gone. The Pewter Place is still there, but like half the size, and the store that used to have bird feeders, etc is gone, as well as the gift shop with really eclectic stuff that you couldn't easily find other places.
I still love the 'penny' candy section of the General store, even though it's nowhere near a penny.

7andkelly

Post Number: 533
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Sorry about your old house, but I wouldn't give up on it yet. These days, it is not uncommon to see boards on vacant homes up for sale, or during renovations.

Jcole

Post Number: 891
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, 7.
It's odd that I've been out of that house for over 30 years, but I could still walk in the front door blindfolded and be able to find my way around, assuming no one has knocked out any walls or such.
that place still feels like it's my home.

7andkelly

Post Number: 534
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought my last Black Cow at the General Store. Christmas Fantasy store is still there. I offered to buy it once...if they promised to leave all the decorations. A new group moved into the little restaurant area recently selling sandwiches and ice cream. The Toy Store has some unique items. And the real Santa arrives there first by helicopter.

Jcole

Post Number: 895
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. The Marines help him out with Toys for Tots.
I saw the sign for the new restaurant, but haven't stopped in yet.
And, of course, Sherni's Chocolates is still there.
I Christmas shop at Frontier every year for stocking stuffers

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: As a matter of fact I have considered spending a couple of nights from time to time sharing barn space with Tango, Diego, and Cinnamon...when SMc-T was too pissed off to understand my point of view...e.g. My story and I'm stickin' to it!

KR: Thanks for the pics...it's good to see that a corner of the city is still looking good. Don't bother going to Mapleridge...by the time ES and OD got through with that area the trees were all gone and the entire place looked devastated.

It continues to be amazing to me the difference between the east and west side of Hayes...the east side, of course, is primarily brick homes while those on the west side are/were frame...I wouldn't think that would make that much difference except that the frame burn easier. For the most part those frame homes were pretty substantial buildings.

JC: I know what you mean...it's a weird feeling when you see your old home boarded up...and then burned to the ground...Google now shows that our concrete driveway is even gone. I keep wondering what the city did about all of those basements...likely they just filled them in with rubble...which will settle in time and create zillions of water filled mosquito ponds...although as I think about it the basements all had drains in the floor...if the sewer lines are intact.

Jcole

Post Number: 902
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at Google maps satellite view, it seems as if most of the homes north and south of 7 Mile and east of Hayes are still where they belong, but looking to the west, you see more and more empty lots. It's really sad and bothers me no end. As i mentioned before my brother lived on Linnhurst at McCrary for a while and my sister lived on Loretto closer to 6 Mile. They were nice neighborhoods, and now they are slowly going away.

Goblue

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: The area looks like Berlin after WWII...the idea of turning it all agricultural is the best I've heard for it...that's what it was originally...vegetable farms to supply the city...the city will never be 3 million people again. My grandparents area...west of Chalmers between Kercheval and Mack looks even worse.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: You have been inside ... good for you and it had a great "rec room" .... but we needed a bigger house. So the Mapleridge Villa that sat on a 40 x 100 foot lot we thought was enormous... AS GB has pointed out when many of the elms were taken out the neighborhood changed, too. There was something about big trees that over hung each street ... and as Jc has stated several times "That you cannot return home"... but it is fun and sometimes sad to remember..... Thanks again 7K!

Jcole

Post Number: 913
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the canopy of branches that the elms made over most of the streets in that area. It was so pretty and kept it cooler in the summer. Damned Dutch Elm disease.
You now what's funny is that I don't think any of us were wealthy or even close to it. We lived in working class neighborhoods with bungalow style homes, and medium to small yards, but each one of us feels like we lived in a castle in the neighborhood of Wonderland. I wonder if our kids feel this way, or if it's unique to the times we grew up in.

Goblue

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: You're right...those trees absolutely made the city. We definitely were not wealthy...in fact I didn't know at the time how poor we were...everybody lived the same...we had toys, 3 meals a day, a warm place to sleep, and a neighborhood that watched out for us. When I started life I didn't expect to start out at the same point my parents were at...I knew I'd have to work my way up but had the advantage of an education...seems that today the generations want to start out at the level of their parents or beyond...I cringe when I think about how much debt one of my kids is carrying so they can have a big house, two new cars, a swimming pool in the backyard, etc., etc., etc...it's scary. Mine never asked to move back home after college, but if they had I would have said no...I paid for them to learn saleable skills...I did help one some with graduate school...I saw that as the end of my financial responsibility...thanks goodness they did too.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 484
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7KID: I'm sure you'll recognize the back entrance to the party store and the barber shop.

Below: the southwest corner of Eastwood and Redmond

Kellyroad

Post Number: 485
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess once in a while you can go back home. The above back board on the garage was put up in 1967....lumber, nuts and bolts from Locke Lumber. Rim is gone. I guess my dad and I used good plywood.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 486
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, OD
a few Salter and Mapleridge shots including the former St. James Presbyterian and Columbus

Jcole

Post Number: 917
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which party store was that?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 487
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Georges Party store on Moross and Kelly (along with the butcher shop, Jason's bakery and the gift shop)