Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 504
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mass in the gym: from a 1991 golden jubilee edition.

The altar, communion rail, and pulpit I believe were first used in the new (present) upper church and then later moved to the lower church once the marble altar and communion rail were installed.
There seem to be many men in surplice and cassock on the left side. I thought the choir sang from the balcony. Eastburn, any observations?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 550
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll have a vocab quiz on Tuesday:

unfettered
chortling
thin skinned
slacker
nostalgia
Grandy
CMAO
Migs
village
identity

7andkelly

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K: Nice find. You seem to have quite a treasure trove of archival material yourself.

It would be interesting to tour the church now and identify some of the items that were in the old church (gym) such as the crucifix, candle holders, statues, tabernacle...

The door on the back of the alter on the left side...it's on a brick wall...did it lead outside, or just in back of the altar? Where did the stage begin, and did they punch out a hole in the brick to create a "stage left" opening?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 505
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The construction crane indicates this photo was taken around 1955.

7andkelly

Post Number: 552
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K: The building to the left of the convent is across Redmond? Is that where Mr. Shaeffer later lived?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 506
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: I believe many of the old church artifacts actually ended up in the lower church. It seems once the upper church got the magnificent canopy, new candle holders, tabernacle, monstrance etc. adorned the upper church. They were bigger and more ornate than what was in the gym/lower church.

7andkelly

Post Number: 553
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the statue on the left in an alcove? If so, that would help relate the location of the current stage to the earlier altar. I am guessing the door in back of the altar did not lead outside, and that stage left was in front of the brick alongside the statue area/alcove.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 507
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Yes, George Schaeffer lived on the Redmond/7Mi complex, I believe right across the rectory. Someone mentioned Jasper too.??

7andkelly

Post Number: 554
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The order of precedence is now as follows:
SJS (upper and lower), Dunns, church, HWPL, and the growing metropolis west of Hayes...this is going to be a long lunch.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: It appears that the sanctuary is slightly elevated and the altar is further elevated. The doorway behind the priest was actually still there when the stage was built (I remember waiting in the hallway back stage waiting my turn to play the snare drum in a Music Man piece...was real nervous). The doorways (2 of them) have been boarded up...no more back stage hideaway.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 957
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shafer and Jasper lived in the apt right on the corner of 7 Mile and Redmond, kitty corner from the rectory, directly across from the church. I can't tell if that is the apt in the picture, but it looks as if it could be.

(Message edited by jcole on May 19, 2008)

Mooncricket
Username: Mooncricket

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole- I am the youngest in the family.

Jcole

Post Number: 958
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Mooncricket. Just wondering if anyone was in my class. I had a sister in Class of 65

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 475
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Sportsfans. I've added some pics to FB. Most are from the hood, but others are Detroit related and some SJS stuff. I sifted through almost 10,000 matchbooks to find some relative to the area. I've posted some, and have about 30 more but that's enough slacking for one day.

Enjoy!!

http://www.facebook.com/photos .php?id=1200987561

7andkelly

Post Number: 557
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! Will check these out later this evening when I get home.

Jcole

Post Number: 977
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, c'mon 7andK, you can slack off now and check them out, can't you?

There is some really cool stuff out there.

Zitro

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought he was 8....no 4 er, I mean 7. I'm confused

Jcole

Post Number: 979
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was being formal right now, and addressing him by his full name. First names are for more relaxed messages.

7andkelly

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must have dropped down a couple of pegs for some reason.

Jcole

Post Number: 980
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First names are for slackers only.

Zitro

Post Number: 479
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm tracking it now. Thanks, I'll try to keep it straight for the future.

7andkelly

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, you are all studying for tomorrow's quiz. If you get a U, you may find yourself in detention in the lower school.

Zitro

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many demerits do we get if we talk in class?

7andkelly

Post Number: 560
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As many as you want.

Zitro

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 (this is informal) You're still tops in my book. Anyone who can still be a Puddycat faithful after the swill they've been displaying is all right with me.

7andkelly

Post Number: 561
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Z.

For this season "faithful" may be a bit of a stretch. Loyal? Yes.

We're taking our 3-0 down to COPA Friday.

Zitro

Post Number: 482
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Jcole

Post Number: 981
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I'll call you 7, considering you're going to slack off on Friday and go to the Park.
Hopefully, they'll appreciate your attendance more than they did Z's.

Zitro

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was dissed

Zitro

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a system to the demerits? I wonder if anyone remembers it? And there were certain levels that would determine your Conduct grade. Anyone remember the details?

(Message edited by zitro on May 19, 2008)