Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Archive through May 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just sitting around earlier today, and the name Eddie Matusko popped into my head. I wonder what ever happened to old Eddie... I remember once when we ran into him one Saturday at the Civic. The movie was a 3-D western, and Eddie would let out a shriek every time an arrow or knife came out of the screen …… unlike the rest of us who calmly watched without making a sound from under our seats.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I think old Eddie was actually ES61...SH(Y) told me that he did the same shrieking thing every time she reached for...well, you know what I mean. She finally gave up and decided that she was better off with upper classmen...couldn't get no satisfaction otherwise!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: ES probably thought she was reaching for his wallet. You know how cheap he is... even now trying to renegotiate our deal on the split of the book royalties.

Goblue

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: True...he'd sooner give up his...well, you know what I mean...than his wallet.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB/OD: No No.....I am keeping my Art Diekoff Styro Large Pointing finger ... who do I send my wallet to ??????

Goblue

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: If you'll send it to me I'll forward it to SH(E) who will send it on to younger sis...trust me.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: He'll only send it COD. Stamps cost money you know. SH told me how disappointed she used to be when ES would stop on those back roads telling her he was out of gas. She was looking forward to a good time, or at least a bearable one. But ES really WAS out of gas. He was too cheap to buy any. Those long secluded walks back to the station were not nearly as romantic as she had expected. But he said he had to stay and guard the car while she went for the gas.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/GB: Remember my 1954 Ford Str 6 ran only on OIL ... It was the first car supporting OPEC ... Truly ...just oil! and lots of it.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: A six? I had a flathead 8 on my '52 Ford. Just thinking of it made me remember something. Did you have portawalls on your Ford? I don't know how much whitewalls cost in those days, but it seemed cheaper to get blackwalls with portawalls than real whitewalls.

Where did you get your oil? I had a used '57 Chevy with a similar oil problem. I used to get the cheap gallon cans of oil at Arlans and carry them around in the trunk. Every time I stopped for gas I filled up the oil too.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I did - since my grandfather invented Portawalls ... and wire wheels and sold other wheel trim ... I had white one's and even tried out a set of red ones he was messing around with during that time.... Arlans brings back memories ... and a good friend during those days had a 55 Chevy convert (black) and it also sucked OIL by the gallons...

Rocket_bozo
Username: Rocket_bozo

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Mary Aceti's obit in the Macomb Daily last week. Age 91. I didn't have her as a teacher at Denby, but she would guide the class reunion people whenever they were setting up one up.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Suck oil" I had a 71 Vega that sucked oil, and that was with the replacement "iron duke" 171 at around 110000. Low idler, pre environmental 20 mpg, and 150 miles per quart.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Sucking oil could be another chapter in the now 97 volume history of the eastside.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Had to have portawalls on my '52 Ford ... let's see:

3/4 race flathead V8 stick shift,
dual glasspacks,
spinners,
white portawalls,
55 Olds tail light lenses,
parking light lenses painted blue for effect (but the cops made me replace them with clear lenses later)
all emblems removed and body leaded,
replaced trunk lock with a cable going to the back window deck to unlock the trunk.
Inner tube full of sand in trunk to weigh down back end.
When I went to CA bubble skirts were still in fashion in MI, but were already in fashion in CA so I did without skirts.

What was I thinking???

Eastside61

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I thought that only GB wore skirts in the 50's while attending DHS ???? We knew he had quirks and a lot of issues - while attending Columbus you will remember on the 2nd floor the 'open air' classroom. Well ,,, GB was captured by Ms. Sturm climbing out of the second story window and trying to jump over to the power house building behind the school.. He was wearing skirts in those days tooooooo! Skirts and in HS a white blouse and nehru jacket.

Goblue

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Had spinners on my '56 also...those were a hot item on the secondary market...so to speak.

All: ES61 claims that he never inhaled...the previous rant is enough evidence to convict.

My gold Nehru jacket, light green bell bottom pants, white turtle neck sweater, and Wellington boots...long sideburns and mustache...was a sight to behold...thank God that no pics exist!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsiders: GB's clothing has all been sent to the Warren Woods School district historical museum. Even the pics with the long sideburns... GOLD Nehru! wow! Wellington Boots double wow ... did you ever wear the N to any admin job interviews????? it might have frightened them into hiring you.....

ES61 Proudly, Supporting Spinners on Oil burning cars....

Goblue

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I looked like something out of the Age of Aquarius...but, we all did. At age 28 (in '69) as an elementary principal I was the oldest person in my building...except for my secretary who was 33...the teachers called her "Menopause Murphy"...much to her chagrin. Wish you had been there.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Both places (WW and SE) would have been filled with VERY good times.... SE had some younger teachers who got it and there still was a core group of SENIOR age teachers who were still trying to teach Beowolf and Calculus BC and wondering why the were having trouble....it was actually funny .... Some interesting lunch hours at SINBADS .... right! Education at its best! and still reaching and teaching many students who were wonderful....
2800 students in 1969 - all those stories will go into the book

Goblue

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: WW defined my career...looked for it and tried to recreate it...to no avail...not sure what the average age of teachers might have been...but likely in the late 20's...the attitude of the superintendent was..."Try it...if it doesn't work don't do it again"...it was an exciting time.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: so another chapter has been born ... careers of eastsiders

Goblue

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Forks in the road taken...and not taken. Did your dad live long enough to see you with the doc hood?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Why yes he did ... although he and Mother were not in attendance for the ceremony ... he had problems with flying ... which drove my mother wacko - CHE was supportive of all the sons with their career moves until his death in 94.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Mine lived long enough too...neither of them were in attendance either...a major snowstorm hit MI the day before the ceremony...they couldn't make it from Detroit. My dad was supportive but he never really understood what I did...being a principal he understood and told me one time that he thought I seemed happier in that role...he was right at the time...he died in '84 at 80.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I think we should take a bow ... and maybe a standing ovation would be order toooooo. Hey... we did it and probably wouldn't change much - well I know the one you might change ...

Goblue

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah, I've said many times in speeches...usually in front of Chamber of Commerce or Rotary types...T's were able to move in four generations from uneducated Kentucky coal miner (born the day the Civil War started) to 8th grade educated Detroit street cop to educator to molecular scientist educated at K College, U.Chicago, UCLA and Johns Hopkins...only in the public (and Catholic) schools of America is such possible! Both of us...and your brothers...plus all of those other TARS...OD, BB, DR, JM, DT...just a few that come to my mind right now...somethin' was working right on the Eastside.

You got that right...erase SE59 and life makes a major improvement...down to and including today.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, GB: Love the mutual admiration society, but something just occurred to me. In all the talking about what you did after you became big shots, I don't remember reading anything about the courses you taught as menial teachers. I’m guessing GB probably taught typing so he could get the underage high school hotties lusting after him like he did after Clair Johnson. What about you ES?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Od: You should have never moved ... You could have been standing next to me at Southeastern HS from 66 to 70 -Five years of teaching biology at an all black high school of 2800 students - GB worked the streets of Warren MI and did a great job as teacher and then an Educator/Administrator and not just an administrator.

There is more but that was the beginning ... and for you - what is the history since you are a charter member of the Eastside too

Goblue

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Close but no ceeegar...I taught fourth grade for three years in the Warren Woods Schools...dealing with the first wave of white flighters...was promoted to principal when I was 25 and then had to deal with a building full of just out of school teachers who were a bunch of hot 20somethings...we did some real creative education...on the cutting edge of developments that are just now getting on the radar screen...like "Hands-On Science...Economics in the First Grade"...fun times...except for being married to SE59.

Speaking of a hot one...that Claire Johnson was SOMETHIN' ELSE! I'll bet she still is.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/GB: I think she married Art Diekoff's son ... or was it Art himself????