Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 562
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was my fault for not slacking off and watching it. In fact, I blame myself for all the M-F day game losses.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 485
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You and Sheffield. Have you caught on yet I don't like him anymore?

7andkelly

Post Number: 563
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's starting to sink in.

Big powwow between Leland and the front office today.

7andkelly

Post Number: 564
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks J. The thought of being demoted was too big of a blow to my thin skin.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on May 19, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 486
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Wings 2nite!! Gotta wrap this thing up. Starting to get a little nervous in the service.

7andkelly

Post Number: 565
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully when I get home in time for the start of the third period the refs will not have already given the game to the stars.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 982
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember the Conduct system, but I do remember that my grade was almost always a C or below.

Zitro

Post Number: 487
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could you yap with your mouth taped shut? Sister Ellen Richard must have heard every word you were thinking.

Jcole

Post Number: 983
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's the only one that ever taped me up. The others just smacked me with a metal edged ruler. So they heard every word.

Zitro

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, so she was the kind one then. I see.

Jcole

Post Number: 984
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on your definition of 'Kind'

Zitro

Post Number: 489
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they didn't use poisoned pungi stakes, You got that going for you. Which it good. (Carl Spackler)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR,
More great pix! If memory serves that door on the left of the picture was to the sacristy. Can't figure why the men in surpluses were sitting down front or who they might have been. Seems the choir was always in the balcony or choir loft as we called it then. Can't remember if they dressed like alter boys or not.

Jcole

Post Number: 985
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The choir did dress in cassocks and surplices, but this picture is before my time. They had all new vestments made in the mid-sixties. They were longer than what's shown in the picture and didn't have the lacy looking stuff on the sleeves.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, JC. I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Don't know if that's age or fried brain cells.

Jcole

Post Number: 987
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem. My dad was in the choir for years. My mom helped sew the vestments for them and the priests. She made me a whole priest outfit for my Ken doll for a school Religion class project in about 3rd or 4th grade. It had the surplice, cassock, amice, stole and chasuble.

Zitro

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor Ken. Glad you didn't do that to G.I Joe, I don't know if I could take that.

Jcole

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. But, it was always fun to dress him up in that outfit and make him be the priest who had to marry Barbie to GI Joe.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 511
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mr. Fleming story:

The demerit system was flawed big time when I was in 6th grade. SJS experimented with one boys only class and one girls only class. The other two 6th grade classes were coed. It was the fall of 1964, the 6 new classrooms that were added behind the gym (replacing the portables) were not quite ready...so some creative scheduling and class placement were in order. Our all boys class was actually on stage in the gym for the first couple of months of the school year. Mr. Fleming was our teacher and Sister Treseta Ann taught English. Anyway, the experiment was a miserable failure. I'm not sure if it was the age (11 and 12 yr boys) or the fact that Mr. Fleming never quite got a grasp on discipline. He seemed like a nice person, and I give him credit for taking on the task but most of the year seemed an unruly mess. Throwing erasers at students, shouting out "I want to see you out in the hall" and giving out demerits were a familiar scene. He would write a disruptive student's name on the board and start marking demerits sometimes 5 at a time. Some days the board would be filled with students some with 10 to 20 demerits. If I recall, 30 demerits or more meant failing conduct. That particular negative reenforcement was moot after a while since a good portion of the class had a failing grade in conduct...so what did more demerits mean any way? When the class transferred to Sr. Teresta Ann for English it was as if there was a massive personality change. You could hardly hear a peep. Anyway, Mr. Fleming seemed like a genuinely good, caring teacher that just lost control of his class. I'm not sure if it was due to an all boys class, or he was very young and relatively inexperienced but that was a lost year. I wonder what life adventure he took..?? Does anyone recall having an all boys or all girls class in another era at SJS?

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 19, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never had an all boys class but I'm sure if I did I would have hit my demerit quota within a week. Great story. I think our demerit system was setup a little different but was probably just as arbitrary depending if you were a teacher's pet or not.

Jcole

Post Number: 989
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the Catholic school was big on all girls/boys schools but I always thought that mixing the sexes worked out better. It seems like in High School, we girls were rowdier and more dirty minded when there were no boys around to temper our attitudes. We would undress in the hallways after school to change into jeans to walk home, and put on makeup in our locker mirrors. This wouldn't have been bad except for the fact that we had two male security guards and a couple of male teachers, and I think we did it just to get a reaction. As soon as males our age were around, we became somewhat more feminine.
I'm sure it was similar with the guys.

Zitro

Post Number: 492
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were more discreet when we put on our makeup

Jcole

Post Number: 990
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I always wondered about some of those ND guys. I knew about the Austin ones. :-)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 512
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Another question not asked on last Friday's photo hunt: Where are all the class pictures? I recall they were first displayed in the hallway by the principal's office off of Rex. They were then moved to the Maddelein entrance. WHERE ARE THEY NOW? along with Where are all the sports program recognitions/trophies??? Any ideas???
Since we didn't have yearbooks the location of those pictures would be a nice find. What will happen to them once the school closes?

Funny thing: I vividly remember when I was in 3rd or 4th grade looking at the class pictures from the early 40s (there were very few students in the early years) and thinking that it was ancient history. It would be like looking at pictures from the late 80s now.

If anyone is planning to do a revisit to the school please inquire about the class pictures. Thank you.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

erecting the church frame (circa 1955)
copied from the 1991 Golden Jubilee of St. Jude Parish edition

Jcole

Post Number: 994
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess that they removed the pictures and trophies when SJS ceased to exist and became East Catholic Elementary. If so, they probably were taken to the rectory or put into storage someplace else, possibly at the Arch Diocese. All defunct parish records were taken over by the Arch Diocese, so I would assume defunct schools would be the same.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Hopefully, they're in the rectory. If they're with the Arch Diocese they'll be in limbo and unaccessible.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 515
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here they come. The first wave of girl first communicants in 1963.....heading to the church from school

Kellyroad

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post first communion group shot 1963
on the front steps of the school

7andkelly

Post Number: 566
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm back.

Z: Can't see your pictures. Might require FB friend status. Check your FB mail.

KR: More great pictures! Check back a bit to gym pictures as I had more comments and questions. Cool picture of framing of church.

Cfg: Where are you? Camping? I am sure you could shed some real light on KR's pictures and subsequent questions.