Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through May 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've talked about this before Focus. You're right. Bonderman can dominate with his slider and inside fastball. Yet again last night, he refused to throw his slider in the 1st inning. I've mentioned this before and Rod Allen did last night. He just kept throwing the two seam fastball tailing away from the Yankee lefties until the bases were loaded. He was very lucky Giambi's drive didn't end up a grand slam.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody get a hose, Santiago's on fire!

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabrera is a bully, and I luv it!!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweep!!

First time (and last at old Yankee Stadium) in 42 years!!

Good-bye to the old Yankee Stadium, thanks for the many memories of Tigers vs Yankees games there, unless they meet again in the postseason.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great game! Great series! First sweep of Yankees in YS since '66. WOW!

I'm not even going to make any of my normal micromanagerial comments tonight!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7725
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like a great night for Detroit sports again. Pistons have dispatched the 76ers. Wings are on the verge of eliminating the Avalanche and the Tigers make their trip to the Bronx a good one as well. It's nice to see the Tigers' power come to the forefront and pummel some Yankee pitching.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funniest scene last night. Robertson falling on his face and then showing the other pitchers on the bench. Verlander holding his face in his hat trying to conceal his laughing was priceless.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6488
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was great. Rod and Mario thought he was diving for the ball that was a mile away at first, until they realized he slipped. Well damn, it was basically pouring rain from the first pitch.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6489
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the Tigers are nearing the .500 mark, and have won 8 of their last 10 games. I haven't seen Livernois yard around recently... Let's turn back the clock and remind ourselves of his predictions.

quote:

April 11th - Is there any playoff talk in Detroit at this point? In order to get a wild-card berth, the Tigers would need to play something like 0.560 ball (win 91 games). How likely is that?

quote:

April 13th - Detroit needs to be the best of the second-place teams to be a wild card. Won't come even close for that to happen.

quote:

April 13th - Detroit has the making of a really poor team.

Zitro

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all seems like a distant memory now doesn't it. Even their starting pitching is going into the later innings. If they can keep the bullpen fresh most of the year this should be the team we were expecting. I'm not crazy about the way Cabrera is gimping around. It looks like he may need some significant time off to heal, although he does have youth on his side.

The schedule remains tough for the month. We are catching Boston & NY next week at a good time. We need to take advantage of it.

I plan on being at the game in KC on the 15th, I'm looking forward to it.

401don

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Leyland was mad at the offense before today's game, he may just push someone out of the plane on the way home. Minnesota and luck hands the Tigers a 6 run lead and they spend the rest of the game swinging at 1st pitches and popping up.
Poor Kenny Rogers is the best defensive player in the infield.

7andkelly

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the game on the line he brings in Miner once again.

The old man is nuts!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4447
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

frustrating, that is all I can say

Flanders_field

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's new, Pussycats?

Woe..woe..woe...wooooe

"O" woeeeee!!

7andkelly

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What a revolting development this is"

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's getting ugly again.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7778
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VERY nice come from behind victory over the Sox. It was nice to see Polanco coming out of it and slapping in the winning run.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polanco looked like his old self. Nice thrilling win, even though it didn't have to be that way...at least some runs were put up this time around.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7782
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So true isn't it Knocturnal? There's nothing more frustrating than having a huge number of hits & walks and not being able to convert them. GRRR! It was nice to see the boys bouncing up and down and celebrating again- it had been far too long.

7andkelly

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Nice to see Polonco polunking the ball once again!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7783
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree 7andkelly. There was awhile back when he was hitting more like "Placebo" Polanco

Flanders_field

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Placido just got Polunkoed by Beckett in the first inning.

401don

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turned on the game tonight hoping for a split. Then I see Beckett on the mound. I forgot he hadn't pitched yet. This is what power with command looks like. Man this team has pitching and they don't even have Schilling now.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golden Sombrero for Curtis tonight.

15-21...Tigers should be 21-15...

The bandwagon bomb-bay doors are open:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ tix/671429486.html

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 847
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE SUCK BALLS!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 367
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night was a CLASSIC Roller Coaster ride!!

Hope that one and all Tigers fans who were at the game had time to flatten their hair (if they had any left) back down before they went home!!

Zitro

Post Number: 390
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great News! The Tigers didn't lose today

7andkelly

Post Number: 427
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, we'll be more up-to-speed for the make up game.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had tix for sunday ugh...did they announce a make-up day yet?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure why we have a "40-Game Evaluation" thread, so I'm trying to pull talk of the Tigers back to the "Tiger Talk 2008" thread.

We have a handful of problems, right now. Certainly, the performance of our starting rotation is one of them.

I have some comments about Jeremy Bonderman. I think we might as well accept that, probably, he is not going to be a four-star pitcher, but a 4.00-E.R.A. pitcher. I hope I'm wrong, about that, but even if I'm correct, I'm (begrudgingly) O.K. with it. I don't mean to publicly insult him, but I have to say that I believe Jeremy is a guy who is fortunate to have a big, strong body with a good, durable right arm, and he has learned how to throw some effective pitches. The guy has talent and skill. However (you knew that a "however" was imminent,) I believe that some guys, with Greg Maddux being a fine example, win with their brains almost as much as they rely on their physical attributes. I don't think Bonderman is one of those guys, and that's O.K., and it doesn't mean that he's stupid. What it does mean is that he would be better off if people don't try to fill his head with all kinds of stuff. I remember a time, last season, when he had been going through that First Inning business really bad, and may have even skipped a turn, and came back with the mind-set that he was just going to hurl, and forget about all of the other business. That game went very well for him, and us, and that's when he admitted to having gone into the game with that mind-set, and happy as he was with the result, he said that he intended to continue on with that approach. Well, of course, you can't always just hurl the ball, as he was quick to learn, but I think he was on to something, anyway, and I think he is, again, at a point where he needs to purge all the advice & ideas from his head, and go back to whatever the hell he was doing that caused him to be the key ingredient of the three-way trade which brought him here.

The game has changed so much. Clubhouses are probably flooded with videotapes and print-outs of all manner of statistical analysis. Even in the sports media-- particularly on radio & TV-- everybody has some new-age style commentary or advice. A good example is people droning on about pitchers' "arm slots." "He's throwing from a different arm slot." Suddenly, even though we never heard anybody say anything about "arm slots," for over a century of baseball, it is a Very Important matter. What a bunch of bullshit. Some blockhead, in an attempt to sound well-informed and analytical, starts raving about "arm slots," and the next thing we know, everybody else, also wanting to sound pithy and bright, is using the term, too. It's just an example, but that is the kind of shit that well-meaning dumb-asses bring to guys like Jeremy, and it just confuses them, not because they're stupid, but because it is bullshit. If a guy's arm is O.K., and he is not thrown off, mentally, by piles of distracting advice, things like his "arm slot" will adjust themselves back to whatever comes naturally. After he came out of his last start, he was in the dugout looking like his head was just splitting; his brow was furrowed, and he looked like he was almost grinding his teeth. The poor guy, his head probably WAS pounding.

I think the best way to help Jeremy Bonderman is to bring him a beer, tell him to relax, and let him work himself into a better groove. The kid is not a Thinker, he's a Doer. Doers do not respond well to wheelbarrows of rubbish being dumped into their heads.