Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through May 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 920
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest corner along Kelly?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Great pics...thanks. Ah yes, St. James where OD and I learned the skills of always being prepared and walking little ol' ladies across the street...Columbus where the basic of education took place...Mapleridge and Salter where ES first _____ with SH.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 488
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GoBlue: Didn't forget about you. The journey west of Hayes enabled some very interesting photo ops. Most of the pics are near Maccrary and or Celestine on Fordham, Eastwood or Saratoga

The above pic is on Fordham near Celestine, below is on Eastwood,

The above picture is of Fordham and Celestine looking east.

Interestingly, there are pockets of new home developments sprinkled throughout an oasis of boarded up or burned out homes or just plain old urban prairie. The new homes are scattered around Queen, Maccrary, Celestine on Fordham, Saratoga etc....It's kind of surreal. If I recall correctly, the houses were part of a federally sponsored redevelopment zone....very surreal

The carwash on southeast corner of Eastwood and Hayes is still going strong.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 489
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Yes, the southwest corner on Moross/Right north of Colonial and just east of the flower shop. That fenced in weeded alcove was an area where the store owners parked or kept their delivery vans.....It was also the place where the Eastwood gang would enter in back. You knew you were part of the community when you could enter from the back.

The front of the party store, IMHO, looks nicer than 40 yrs ago. Colonial bank building has seen better days. The clock is gone. That was considered a ultra modern building when it opened in 1965

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Totally amazing Thanks again..... Mapleridge looks so wide open without the trees.... and just think GB... all I had to do was walk four doors down to Salter and then one short block over to Parkgrove....and there would be BIG HUGE Bill H.....and of course SH(Y).....

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that party store. After traversing a few alleys we would enter in through the back. Bazooka Joe's were a penny, Topps cards 10 cents, and they had Mr. Freezes. I don't remember how much those were. I had those half done by the time I got to the counter!

Nice pictures KR.

7andkelly

Post Number: 540
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's nice to see the new construction, especially in some of these most devastated areas. Along with the brand new Gratiot avenue pavement I have seen recently, this is an important visible sign of improvement and reason for hope.

Jcole

Post Number: 931
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anything in the bank building? Looks pretty vacant

Goblue

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That new development is incredible...the homes remind me of the pics I have of my great-grandparent's home...the Lamberts...as I understood the story...it was located somewhere in the Highland Park-Hamtramack area...it seems like it's all coming around again.

Our house was just across the street from the pic that KR shot looking east on Fordham from Celestine...if he had point the camera to the south side of the street he would have covered our now vacant lot...14630...thanks KR...it was really thoughtful of you...and at the same time...sad to see.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To KR: Thanks again ... and what is weird is that when you look at the pictures you look for someone you might know walking on the street.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 492
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: No. The bank building has been vacant for a few years now.

7K: I feel one should always keep hope alive; however, the drive through the neighborhood west of Hayes suggest that the amount of urban blight far out weighs small pockets of urban renewal. Some of the newer homes have been there at least 3 years. The new houses are not keeping up with the abandoned ones however. It really is sad to see dispair and hopelessness so openly in a neighborhood where I once delivered newspapers. I'm sure GoBlue can add more poignant commentaries since that was once his home.

Goblue

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is sad to the point of tears. At the same time there are points of being incredulous...like the two story house at the corner of MacCrary and Fordham...it's still there...it was the tallest home in the area. The first house in the pic looking to the east on Fordham was the Christie's...he was a retired Fireman...their son lived in the house next to the west, that is now what looks like a parking lot...the next to the east was the Abbotts...he was a DPD Lieutenant...at the 5th...very likely he was responsible for the FIRST time that ES was booked, and finger printed with a mug shot...for messin' with SH(Y). From that point on its hard to tell whose house still remains on the north side of the street. For certain, all of the beautiful trees are gone.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 493
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, GB: The theme "rapidity of change" has underscored our northeast side discussions for quite some time hasn't it?
"The closing of St. Jude school" along with "West of Hayes" are just two more chapters in the book.

Goblue

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Well...it was clear that it was dangerous to venture to the east side of Hayes...unless one had a Whammo slingshot stuck in one's back pocket...along with a good supply of marbles or ball bearings...especially if one was up near Mapleridge.

(Message edited by GoBlue on May 18, 2008)

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: That house at the corner of Mapleridge and Salter was the home of Dennis Elvidge. I lived on the same side of Mapleridge halfway between Brock and Salter, 15463. Sometimes in my younger years (before my teens) I would call Dennis out to play before the family had finished breakfast, and Mrs. Elvidge would invite me in for tea and toast…… The carwash, I remember when they used to wash the cars by hand. I assume they have automated it by now??? …… You should have taken a picture of Hennick’s house for ES. It brings back memories of better times for him……. What’s really striking is the lack of people on the streets. When we lived there the streets were always full of kids playing and adults socializing……. Thanks for venturing down there and bringing back old memories.

GB: I still have my Whammo, so stay away from Rochester Hills if you know what’s good for you.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 495
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Now that I think about it there were very few people outside especially on such a nice day. I seem to recall the Mapleridge shots were taken around mid afternoon about the time school would let out.
Not sure if the car wash is completely automated or not. There still may be towel drying. I actually worked there for one day during my newsboy days to pick up a little extra spending money.

Goblue

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Dennis was a buddy of mine too...we used to ride our bikes to school and leave them in the Elvidge's backyard or garage. We'd pick them up after school and cruise down Salter to the H's...sometimes we had to run the little kids off who wanted to hang around the SH sisters with a few well placed stones. They'd go running home crying.

You're right...what's missing are the kids and trees...50-60 years ago the street was crowded with both.

The Whammo comment was meant for ES...I would NEVER open fire on a fellow 706er...I always assumed that you were a spy who had infiltrated the Mapleridge Mob.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Funny about riding bikes. That year I went to 8B summer school at Denby I would ride my bike over there and park it at Jimmy Paddock's house. He lived on Seymour in the first house off Kelly. Of course, after graduating from Columbus riding a bike to Denby would be childish so I had to walk most days. Actually I think I did get one or two rides from you in the old Plymouth. I just happened to be at Elvidge's house, and you had just received your license.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just a few neighborhood photos:
Eastwood Ave. at Kelly looking west toward Morang
Denby drivers training course and school pics

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone mentioned the cigarette machine brought back memories..........NOT at 6 bucks a pack!...when I got my drivers license (Aug. 1968).....for me to use the car my mom would send me to Merit Drugs with $5.00 to buy 2 CARTONS of cigarettes (1 Camel and 1 Chesterfield)........and put the change in gas in the car!.hmmmmmmmm

Kellyroad

Post Number: 501
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid: Vending machine cigarettes were as they are now more expensive. You probably recall how outrageous it was to charge 50 cents out of the machine while gas stations or party/drug stores were almost half as much. Individual packs of cigarettes were 29 cents and gas was 19.9/gal at Sinclair (they pumped the gas, washed the windshield and gave away gift stampsand dino soap or a toy bank). It seemed that the Sunoco, Gulf, or Shell stations on Kelly and Morang or the Pure on Fordham/Moross were more expensive than Sinclair on Kelly/Washtenaw. Was it your dad that smoked the Camels (non-filtered)?....I seem to recall PBR beer and Camels....correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting story (at least to me): When I did the nostalgia photo hunt last Friday and entered the Candlelite lounge the first question they asked was "Are you a cop"? After I assured them of my intentions the one bar maid told of the sting operations that were run using underaged teens to illegally purchase cigarettes from that machine....At $6/pack I wondered who would be the criminal!
JCole: Do you remember the price per pack during your era from that machine? BTW, Is it the same vending machine? It looks like it could be.

(Message edited by kellyroad on May 18, 2008)

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR.........RITE YOU ARE MY FRIEND.....and Mr. S. with a pipe.........brand unknown......Mrs. S...NEVER.........my mom liked her Chesterfields though..........

Jcole

Post Number: 945
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, it sure looks like the same machine. If I remember correctly, it was $.50 from the machine. Merit drugs was charging $.35 back then. I think it was usually Kools from the machine and Salem if I went to the drugstore. As soon as Benson and Hedges came out, I switched to them and then to Virginia Slims. Stayed with those for 25 years give or take

Kellyroad

Post Number: 502
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Benson and Hedges ("a silly millimeter longer") to a woman's cigarette..now that's the 1970s

Jcole

Post Number: 946
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back when smoking was politically correct.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All: To be cool like the 59ers like GB and OD we tried to smoke Kents - Winstons - Marlboro's and once in a while Benson Hedges - and I remember machines selling them for about 30 to 35cents a pack. at Supreme Drugs on Hayes and I think Eastwood or Fordham.... This was not only during college but during the Denby days when the social scene started on a Monday night (TJ Lib next to the Alger) - Wed night ( social get together at Lombardi's and or Pippos both on E. Warren) and then the weekend scene all over the place depending on the season of the year..... It is amazing that we eventually educated ourselves.... and made a few bucks over the years and soon all of us with be published authors.....

ES 61 Proudly, EASTSIDE!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Surprisingly the Denby building still looks pretty good in your pictures. The lawn is another matter. I remember one Saturday some of us were playing football on Denby's lawn, and Mr. Wolfe came out and chased us off. I haven't any idea what Mr. Wolfe was doing there Saturday unless he and AD were in an all day planning session discussing what to to about GB..... I noticed both Denby and Columbus have fences around them now. Is that to keep people out or keep them in?

ES: We need a brief chapter on pipe smoking... no, just tobacco. A few of the elite got into that for a little while. You got Prince Albert in the can?

7andkelly

Post Number: 546
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The elms may be gone, but those look decent.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO all: Pipes - not bongs were stylin' in the late 50's early 60's and the tobacco of the cool guys was "cherry blend" ... Dr. Grabow pipes ... and then lung and lip cancer ....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crosby Square was the tobacco of choice in our household...bought at Merit Drugs.....best place to get tobacco products, booze, and drugs...of course... at a pharmacy.
The cherry blend did smell good though.
OD: regarding the fences...the documentary didn't get that detailed with the schools....you might say it was drive by shooting (WITH A CAMERA OF COURSE)