Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about oil?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 505
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got it coming out of my ears!

Jcole

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you mean corn and not oil or that's just kind of gross.

Zitro

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corn, you stepped on my line

Jcole

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about that. Maybe we need to rehearse better?

Zitro

Post Number: 507
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's okay, this forum isn't very spontaneous.

Jcole

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, that.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting back to the gym...does anyone remember a "stage right"? There would likely be stairs going down like there is for stage left, but the kitchen is on the right side, so there might be a door at the bottom of the stairs leading into the kitchen. Since Chatham is mostly resolved, I am now fixed on this...and the lower school.

Zitro

Post Number: 508
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My recall is that at the bottom of the steps there was just a small holding area, maybe tops it held 6-7 kids and then you were in the kitchen. It was common when going on stage from that direction to have to wait in the kitchen in a line and sometimes into the little foyer by the outside door too. Can't confirm though.

Jcole

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the steps were on the outside of the stage coming up either side of the stage from the gym floor. Apparently, I dreamed this up somewhere.

Zitro

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right there were steps there, but there was also an exit stage right. Sorry 7 didn't mean to steal your line

7andkelly

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The line was there for the taking.

I don't remember steps in front. For a play, or an assembly, there could have been portable front steps. But for gym class, I don't think they were there, or I would have tripped on them.

Zitro

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must have been portable, I'm seeing them being stored to the left of the stage in the back. Someone needs to get in there to take some pics to clear this up. Thanks 7, I wasn't all that concerned about this before and now....

7andkelly

Post Number: 582
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's part of a ploy to get you back to Michigan for a visit. We'll all meet at Dunn's or Candlelight for lunch and beers. Church / school / gym / convent tours follow. Dinner at Chelli's Chili followed by a Tiger game and fireworks.

Zitro

Post Number: 511
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tempting, very tempting. I don't need a lot of encouragement to come back for a Tigers game. I've done it over a weekend before. I've got a guy too, with sweet seats right along first base.

Zitro

Post Number: 512
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Save some of those runs boys. Stones need some of that

7andkelly

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As it turns out, the Tigs needed them tonight. Looks like the Stones are taking a night off.

Zitro

Post Number: 513
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job by the pen. Jump shots just aren't going to cut it for the Stones

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been inquiries regarding the old gym church as it relates to the gym stage. It looks like the doorway on the back of the altar has been boarded up with the mural "Home of the Eagles". There use to be a curtain that would cover the wall back in the 60s and the doorways were still there as an access on to the stage. The statue on the left was located just about where the curtain ends in the second picture. The next two pictures are the stairs approaching the stage on the school side just inside the doorway(stage left) the last picture is of a home made podium that was so common at SJS, behind it are the stairs to the kitchen (Stage right)....or would it be the other way around in reference to Snaglepuss's direction???

7andkelly

Post Number: 590
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K, I didn't mean for you to drive all the way back for these shots, but thank you!

The top picture confirms there are no permanent stairs protruding from either or both sides at the front on the stage. It also show the main curtains are still there.

The second picture shows an open stage left and an a door exiting stage right. And there is no indent or alcove where the statue used to stand.

Now, if it's not too much trouble, please go back and get some pictures of the stage from the right side with the stage right door open from the kitchen. And for extra credit, a shot of the portable wooden stairs would be great! Oh, and above the mural, is that curtain rod still there? I assume it is.

Again, thanks!

Zitro

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, if it's not too much trouble, stop at the Paper Station for 7&K and get him a Ground Round (Hold the onions right?)

7andkelly

Post Number: 592
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, the onions were grilled and delicious!

Jcole

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, add that to my list. Cloverleaf pizza, Silver Dragon egg rolls and yeast rolls, bacon from Original Pancake house and ribs from Pointe BBQ along with a ground round with cheese and fried onions from the Paper Station.
Where can we get delivery from the past?

Zitro

Post Number: 515
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best burgers with fried onions is Geneva's on Harper. Are they still open? They cooked their burgers with wax paper over them and steamed everything together. Man oh man

Jcole

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember that place, but add it into the order.

Jcole

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to go do my pre-Memorial day running around, so I'll see you all later.

7andkelly

Post Number: 594
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grilled, not fried.

On a burger, my order of onion preference is grilled, raw, none, fried.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Please don't send me back for more shots. Here are a couple of more photos from the original shoot. The portable wooden stairs were nowhere to be found. I don't want to get a green slip or have to go to summer school so hopefully these pics will do.
BTW. Dunn's Inn (Paper Station) has the same formica counter with the old newspapers as they had back in the 70s

Zitro

Post Number: 516
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7- Right, grilled that's what I meant.

Zitro

Post Number: 517
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can add Milroys posthumously, but it has to be on a Friday during Lent, with a huge line.