Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through May 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: True...an excellent chapter...Catholic girls were best...a trip to the confessional and we had a clean slate...Methodists were next with no guilty conscience at all...Lutherans were worst because there was no way to get forgiveness and start over...plus...even thinking about it was a trip to perdition...so...if yer guilty fer thinkin' might as well be guilty fer doin'.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: This is headed to being about 45 volumes - and back to Sally - she is listed as inquiry number four of my 25 info requests of the LA sista's

Goblue

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I have data re: Sally...if accurate, she's a widow and living near where you almost took a load of buckshot.

Send pics of the sistas.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: If you admit that the bananhead helmets are totally lame and that you went to a division 6 school in Kalamazoo - I will call her directly and let her know where to contact you ... You might be surprized

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True Denby material.

yb

Zitro

Post Number: 408
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ser

Zitro

Post Number: 409
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You won't see ads like this in yearbooks today

ad

Just thought of this (forgive me) is this where the term she was good to the Corps came from?

(Message edited by zitro on May 13, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 410
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aD

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!..............how WAS WW I Zitro?

Zitro

Post Number: 411
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Front

Zitro

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA

Zitro

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask GB & ES & OD

Zitro

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's this for a classic?

FB

Goblue

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: That was LOW! ES missed the "War to End All Wars" by a couple years! He's the guy on the line second from the left trying to figure out what to do when the ball is snapped...note the leather helmets...that explains a whole lot about his online ramblings.

OD & I on the other hand were in the sixth grade when Korea ended...as members of BSA Troop 706 we always proudly saluted vets like ES as they marched by in the annual parades.

Great pics by the way...where in the world did you find that yearbook?

Zitro

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was my mothers. I thought Wally Cox was in it somewhere but I can't find him. Looking at his bio, he would have been a little older I guess. There is mention of a Walter Cox being in the service but I think Wally's name was Wallace

Goblue

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: THE University of Michigan helmets are the most unique...the most recognizable...and the symbols of the "conquering heros"! WMU in the early 60's was a tier three school...today it might be a low level tier two...MSU, as a land grant school has always had the mission of training...as opposed to research...that was true of WMU as well since it was initially a branch of MSU...both of those institutions seem to have lost that aspect of their existance...they seem to want to compete with U-M and WSU for the research dollars...instead of doing what they have always done well. The prestige always goes with the tier one schools...Harvard, UCLA, Duke, Vanderbilt...and Michigan...among many others in the country...but I have always felt that when it comes to lifting our society...providing a social and economic opportunity for those of us who were "first in the family" college attendees...that the tier two schools...the land grant schools...played a more critical role. All of that being said I deeply wish that I had been more of a serious student at Denby...I wish that I had been able to attend U-M so that I could have enrolled in their Navy ROTC program...a dream of becoming a naval officer missed.

Bottomline...I ain't acknowledging nuthin'...SJ was a lovely prom date...she was one of those forks in the road that we've talked about...a path not taken...I do wish that I had taken the "one less traveled by"...I could have avoided the disaster with SE59.

Zitro

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB are you sure ES missed WW1? I thought maybe the exposure to mustard gas would have explained his rants.

Goblue

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: Well...now that you mention it...it's possible that the mustard gas got him...that or he was suckin' up the homemade juice that Mapleridge was noted for.

Yeah, Wally Cox was Wallace...born in 1924, died in '73....pretty young...I think he would have been a year or maybe two ahead of your mother.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: How could you be a naval officer when you couldn't even march in step in Troop 706? When the Navy guys saw your marching at Grosse Isle they probably started plotting a way to keep you out right then. All their years of planning were implemented under the code name SE59.

Goblue

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: OHMIGAWD...I never thought of that...it might have been a damn Lutheran/Navy SE59 conspiracy all along! Besides...I could have marched in step...I just didn't want to...I thought it was time to be creative...plus, a chance to piss off the leadership. You know better...attitudes such as those probably would not have played out well in a career as an officer in the USN.

Zitro

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously a different time and place. This is the Edwin Denby Women's Club Minstrels

ED

Eastside61

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Thanks for the memories and great pics ... 1943 was a GREAT Year ... I should Know
GB: Please get your Brawny Extra Strength towels out ... and start wiping up the barf that you just spit all over this thread about u Of Bananaheads ... For such a well educated leader you need to get off the cool aid ... I guess that Superintendents need to wear their boots when they go and spread this drivel ... You are still a great Eastsider ... and Join the ranks again
ES 61 Proudly, Supporting all things about 1943

Zitro

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Is that you playing center?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I am in all the pics and can you, OD, Jc, 7K, KR, or even BArf BOy GB name the place where the photo was taken????

Zitro

Post Number: 429
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm stumped

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're in the weeds?

Goblue

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: That looks like it could be the old U-D stadium.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah. Remember when UofM snubbed UofD by refusing to play them in football? The big M lost huge chunks of fans for years and years and years for that one!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: since he was the first male cheerleader from 1942 to 45 ... and remembers the game at ..............

....... U of D is correct

Goblue

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K...don't recall M refusing to play U-D...although at one time it likely made sense...U-D was a noted athletic program...what year would that have been?

ES: Gimmme an S...gimme an A...gimme an N...etc., etc., etc. Didn't...but would have joined the cheerleader squad for the same reason I became an elementary education major...odds were good in all of my WMU classes...of course, some of the goods were odd!