Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 595
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Of course those were from your original shoot.

You get a large sized gold star for your forehead to wear for the entire rest of the day!

This is an awesome display! Your albums on your FB page are great too.

Z's coming in one day for some food, a tour, some more food, and a Tig's game. You in? If it's timed right, we'll all be there and up to our ears in fresh Iowa sweet corn (that one never gets old).

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little stale but never old, as long as someone doesn't step on your line!

Zitro

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trip would have to include a meal at Under The Eagle, Germack Nuts, Saunders and Coneys. Better make it 2 Tigers games as long as I'm there.

Zitro

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Would you plan on wearing a mask?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got to stop at Federals or Korvettes to pick up some fancy clothes for the Tiger game and dinner out to Silver Dragon, Pagoda's, maybe even Victor Lim's or the Lindell AC if we feel like eating downtown after the game. Can't beat Shopper's Fair at 8 and Gratiot for a good deal - and with Top Hat across the street - can't ask for anything more!

Zitro

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got it CFG. I'm in

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get the cars washed at Pointe Auto Wash while we're up there.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 524
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget to stop at Monkey Wards while at Federals

7K: If Z is there I'm there. Maybe Jokerman can come in from San Diego too. Eastburn is not far. JC is close, CFG,Duck, mooncricket, Jazzstage 7KID. Let's add more.

Zitro

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe 7&K will have to wear his Batman outfit to conceal his identity. I'll make sure to get your tickets a couple sections way from us, I wouldn't want them pointing you out on FSN like they did King Tut and his buddy last night.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the sound of it! Dinner.....wherever.........an d a game!

7andkelly

Post Number: 596
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: Organizing this event seems like it is just up your alley.

7andkelly

Post Number: 597
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and I updated FB. Hope you like it!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, which Coney do you prefer, Lafayette or American? They've reopened some Sander's stores that have seats so you can enjoy your Hot Fudge Cream Puff. There's one in B'ham, Rochester, Wyandotte and somewhere else.
Have you ever eaten at Starlite Polish restaurant on Michigan Ave. near Central? Also very good. Hamtramck just doesn't have the same cachet as it used to.
And, gee, sorry I stepped on your line. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

Jcole

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, it will be kind of hard to remain incognito when Z holds you down and CFG and I rip off your Batman mask, you know. You may want to rethink this.

Mooncricket
Username: Mooncricket

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember the name Skrentnor but can't put a first name with it. Starlite is the best for Polish food, closest to what my dad used to make. What about Kavans for a burger or Blazos or Dunkenburger !

Jcole

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blazo's. Totally forgot about that. How about Red Barn for chicken?

7andkelly

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another update.

Testing all this so let me know of any technical problems.

7andkelly

Post Number: 599
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mooncricket: She had a three letter first name. Nice person. Being careful not to out anyone.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: You better have Robin with you if you're going as batman...sounds like a smackdown with JC and CFG....POW, %$*&*, SOCK, *@,KABOOM. Maybe you should go as Wilson on Home Improvement and hide behind a program, scorecard, or big mug of beer.
JC: How bout Top hat on 8/Gratiot for some delicious 10 cent burgers.

What was the name of a family restaurant on Kelly, I believe just north of Elkhart (Merit Drugs) during the 60s...had fish and chips..real plain restaruant..flouresent lighting, a few booths and a lunch counter.??...

7andkelly

Post Number: 600
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin's history. I work alone now.

I wish I could be Batman again, but unfortunately my cape was also my dark blue nylon jacket from Vetere's, and is long since gone. And, since my name was on the back, that would defeat the whole purpose.

Ideally, the Tigs will make it to the World Series, and we could plan this for Halloween!

Zitro

Post Number: 524
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I'd prefer Onastyass on 7 & Hayes if it was the same, but I'll take National Coney's. I thought there was still a Saunders in GP somewhere? Haven't tried Starlite but I'm open to anything old fashion Polish. Went to UTE a couple of years agon and it's the same as always except the area.

7andkelly

Post Number: 601
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're interested in Polish, the Polish Cafe on Caniff, S. of Holbrook in Hamtramck is excellent!

Jcole

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, National are OK, but there are also plenty of independants that are really good, too. One of my favorites is Phoenix on Van Dyke and 17 Mile. They also have the best Gyro I've ever eaten;even better than Golden Fleece.
The Sanders sit down stores are B'ham, Wyandotte, Livonia and Gross Pointe
I stand (and sit) corrected.

Jcole

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I haven't eaten at that one, but there is a really good authentic Polish place in Rochester and a new one in Utica.
Rochester is Two Sisters. Fantastic Pierogi, and very reasonably priced. Huge bowls of soup; cabbage, borscht, chicken dumpling, beef barley, dill pickle, for 1.25 with a meal.
Utica is Pyza. A little more expensive, but has really interesting dinners and the more usual stuff. Also reasonable and a little bit more ambiance than Two Sisters.

Jcole

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you all see 7's new videos on Facebook. Very cool and nostalgia filled.

7andkelly

Post Number: 602
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do either offer lard instead of butter? And are the pickles fresh dill? And where can I find fresh dills in a store?

Jcole

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the fresh dills. I know they serve those at the Bread Basket Deli on 10 Mile and Greenfield.
Do you live in the northern suburbs? or somewhere else?

Zitro

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I've had the Gyro's at Phoenix at 17 & Van and they are excellent, it's a little too smokey in there for me though. 7-There's a little general store on the main street in Frankenmouth that still has barrel pickles that are great next time you're up there.

Jcole

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fresh dills are different than regular dills. It's the way they're processed. They are a lighter green, and more 'Cucumber-y' tasting.
Is that what you're asking about, 7?

Zitro

Post Number: 526
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this on the Food Network a while back, you can can get just about any kind of pickle you're looking for.

http://www.nycpickleguys.com/

(Message edited by zitro on May 22, 2008)