Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through May 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I just sent you a recipe for Fresh Kosher Dills to your FB account.
The diff between the usual pickle and the Fresh Kosher is that the Koshers don't have vinegar.

If you meant pickles in a barrel, Z's suggestion is good, and I think the Polish Markets (actual name) have them. I know they have fresh sauerkraut. There is one on Hayes at 21 Mile and one on 16 Mile at Dequindre.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 603
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks J, I will check this out tonight.

Z, thanks for the link. My search for the perfect pickle is on.

Of course this all ties in with the nostalgia theme since my Dad and I used to make fresh dills. You start with old clean jars stuffed with the right kind of cucumbers. You put in cloves, fresh dill, and I think garlic, and some other stuff. The jars sit in a sink partially filled with hot water...so when you pour in the boiling salt water, the jars won't break. Then you just put the lids on (not the air tight seal ones), and let the jars sit in the basement for a few weeks.

A couple of years ago Doc's Good Food on Hoover in Warren had these, and the owner said he got them from Eastern Market.

Jcole

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a recipe for a similar pickle but you have to refrigerate these. They are in a gallon jug, and take about a month to 'ripen' but they are the best thing since sex. Garlic, hot peppers, vingegar. They keep about 9 monthes in the fridge.
If you would like the recipe, I'll send it on.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate when we talk about food around this time of the morning. I could eat a cow right now

Jcole

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, have you ever had a Runza? I know those are popular out there in corn country, and I just wondered how they are?

Zitro

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't say I've heard of them, but I can ask some of the natives

Zitro

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see they are kind of like a Pierogi.

Zitro

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The closest Runza Restaurant is in Council Bluffs, wish I had known I was just there 2 weeks ago. It seems to be predominant in Nebraska.

Zitro

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They look more like a Pastie that a Pierogi.

http://www.runza.com/runzaroad maps.htm

Jcole

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there's a chain out there called Runza's. They're supposed to be like a Russion Meat Pie.

Jcole

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Food Network :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 532
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.

Jcole

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome show.It's actually had a couple of Michigan dives included. One in Ferndale, Ann Arbor, Rockford that I know of.
I love Ace of Cakes.

Zitro

Post Number: 533
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that joint in Ann Arbor with those hideously huge burgers. I think there was this gal who played on the Michigan girl hockey team that was the champion of eating them.

Jcole

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the one. The chick behind the counter was a hoot.

Zitro

Post Number: 534
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was a scream.

Jcole

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you see the episode with The Fly Trap in Ferndale? They had really great looking breakfasts and lunch dishes, kind of eclectic style.

Zitro

Post Number: 535
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I've seen most of the episodes when they ran a marathon on them.

Jcole

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to The Fly Trap

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 526
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: WOW! Thanks for the video documentary. Nice effect with the kid's voices in the background. More, More, Bravo, Bravo!

It's interesting how we all know of the special place that has THE best gyros, soup, pickle, etc.
I'll throw my 2 cents in about downriver. Nana's kitchen in Wyandotte has the best gyro, yes even better than the Golden Fleece in Greektown, and great stuffed cabbage soup. BTW, one can walk a block south down Biddle and enjoy a hot fudge sundae at the new Sanders (which doesn't do as good a business as a nearby Strohs which ironically sells Sanders products)

Zitro

Post Number: 536
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PERFECT!
Look what's on the menu,

The Slacker Especial* - Black Beans, Cheddar Cheese, Salsa, Sour Cream, Tortilla Chips $6.95

Jcole

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I will try to get over there one day and try that special. Maybe we can have them rename it the SJS Forum Slackers Special.

Zitro

Post Number: 539
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get those brooms warmed up Tigs fans.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, they will still be feeling the sting of Leland's rant on Friday when we will be taking our 3-0 into COPA. Conciliatory postgame fireworks aren't the same.

Jcole

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweep. Better than weep.

Zitro

Post Number: 540
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We owe the Twinkies a little payback too.

Zitro

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty cool give-away on Sunday. Polanco Replica Gold Glove. I'm going to a game at the Hump July 2nd.

(Message edited by zitro on May 22, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of appearing uncool, what the hell is 'Hump'?

Zitro

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad Seattle sent down Jeff Clement, he's a local Marshalltown lad. Same town that produced Cap Anson.

Zitro

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clement broke Drew Henson's national high school record for hr's